72kg Thai fighter vs 107KG Kickboxer.

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by EdiSco, Sep 11, 2016.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

You wouldn't expect the smaller fighter to even hold his own against the bigger one - let alone do this well! Love all of Lawrence's breakdowns!

My questions is, is it the fighter or the art (Thai)? Is Muay Thai really just this awesome? Or is this an incredible fighter? The size difference is just too great!

From what I've gathered from UFC, it could be said, that Thai and BJJ are the most effective martial arts (I know this will be controversial!). BTW, I just do boxing so not biased but do intend to progress to Thai :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1f_o2moKA"]72KG Muay Thai Legend vs. 107 KG Kickboxing Legend | RIP Nokweed Davy - YouTube[/ame]

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Firstly, great highlights!

Secondly, not everyone will agree with me but I do believe in style superiority (some styles are demonstrably better at turning out functional fighters than others). That doesn't mean every art has a place either above or below another in efficacy because...

Thirdly, when it comes to many of the full contact striking arts they are all effective and are very similar expressions of actual fighting. They train and compete in similar fashions using experiential learning and proven coaching.

Fourthly, individual factors such as experience, psychology and genetics as well as both collective (gym/art's) training protocols come into play. Thais train insanely hard and are often fighting full contact for money from an incredibly early age. That breeds toughness, skill and experience.

Fifthly, luck/circumstance/random chance all factor into an outcome too.

Bottom line: all the full contact styles such as boxing, Thai boxing, savate, Dutch kickboxing, sanda etc are very effective and provide excellent coaching as a general rule... If you train these you will have the tools to make yourself a competent pugilist/striker. Anything else is too nebulous to pin down and not worth worrying about.

3. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

UFC champions:
    ufc HW -wrestler boxer
    ufc LHW-wrestler boxer
    ufc WW-wrestler boxer
    ufc LW-wrestler boxer
    ufc BW-wrestler boxer
    ufc fly-wrestler

From what ive gathered from the UFC, it could be said that Wrestling and boxing are the most effective martial arts.

But nah, Thai is the best :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. daggers

daggers Valued Member

So none of these guys use kicks knees or elbows? Just pure boxing?
    It's all bull poo. Cross training is a must for any mma fighter
    And of course Thai is best.. what other stand up martial art has to get rid of its main weapons before any other stand up style will face them ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Kali :D

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I prefer JKD kickboxing over any striking style tbh.

8. daggers

daggers Valued Member

The first video looked like both of the guys were in their first ever fight haha terrible Muay Thai , can't say about the other guy cos iv never heard of that style

The second fight with bukaew was exactly my point.. that was k1. where every one said 'yea we will fight Thai boxers.. oh but you need to leave clinch out, and elbows.. Don't elbow us they really hurt "

9. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Unarmed stand up combat system to clarify

10. Pretty In Pink

It's a complete system man, got unarmed in there top.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Thais tend to be tough as nails, they start young, they start fighting young, they face a huge talent pool so to survive they have to be good, so they have experience at a young age others can't match and come from such poor backgrounds they are motivated in a way its hard to match.

The experience bit and competing so often in a huge talent pull is also one reason wrestlers do so well in mma,

Thai boxing tends to be so dominant because it allows the most techniques in standing combat sport, so a Thai fighter is comfortable kicking punching elbowing and kneeing an opponent in a way his opponent not a Thai fighter will never be. In combat what you don't know or are familiar with generally tends to beat you a Thai fighting under k1 rules loses weapons but still has the same weapons as his opponent and a similar experience level using those techniques, someone facing a Thai under limited rules doesn't have the experience dealing with low kicks knees and elbows and thus more often than not loses unless they can impose their game plan early.

12. daggers

daggers Valued Member

thais have less experience fighting under the 'limited' rule set, most of their experience has relied upon them using what they are used to, clinch and elbows, it may seem easy to lose weapons but it's really not... it's a total game changer.

Plus .. if a k1 fighter were to fight a Thai under full Thai rules how would they fair? Which would be the most effective stand up full contact athlete in a rule set that allow elbow and clinch? (As do mma)

13. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Yea but if it was any good surely mma fighters would be using its moves? If not why not?

14. Hannibal

They are - there are a lot of Kali Tudo practices active and there is a lot of similar punches to Western boxing ( in fact there is a pervasive myth the fillponos influenced the Western system)

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Weidman has some Kali via Longo, doesn't he?

16. Pretty In Pink

Yeah he knocked out Silva with the 1-2 stick angles the first time round.

17. David Harrison

Do you think breaking Silva's leg was a deliberate destruction or fluke accident?

18. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Demetrious Johnson actually uses lot of Thai clinch-work e.g. his quick stoppage of the hugely superior wrestler Henry Cejudo.

19. Hannibal

Deliberate technique, accidental injury

His coach is old school PFS

20. David Harrison

Oh yeah, I wasn't insinuating that he wanted to mess up Silva that bad.