attachment.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by bodyshot, Jun 8, 2015.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Alright this thread is meant to be a less of a discussion and more of an admission thread. In other words what are you attached to that's holding you back in any way shape or form, I'm actually curious about what people will say.

I'll start. I'm attached to...validation.

2. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I'm attached to the past.

The way the dojo used to be, the atmosphere when training, the people I trained with. I can't seem to let go of that feeling of progression, purpose and fulfillment. I think sometimes I may be better off just starting again from scratch somewhere else but there's this pull, even hope that it might become the way it was again.

Even training elsewhere and in different disciplines I'm just too attached to that place where it all started.

Interesting thread, made me really think. :)

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

4. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I'm attached to Kuk Sool Won. I don't want to train in anything else and feel lost due to the fact that there are no schools in my area to attend. I'm always thinking about it! An unhealthy obsession, really.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Those are pretty straight answers. How have those attachments caused pain or hampered your development. Is there anyway you've developed a false sense of you who are due to those attachments.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm attached to my trees. I know that, if I want to become a bonsai professional, I need to start selling them. But every time I try to put a price tag on one, I just think about all of our history together. Oh well. I bought ten trees recently, they are all of high quality. I will style them all together in what will probably be a 168 hour work week. They will be for sale soon, but I think I've already picked out 3-4 that I want to keep for several more years. I can tell that this will be a hard business for me.

7. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

My attachment to my dojo means I have never given any leeway in any personal relationship because of it. Fortunately my missus supports and encourages me because it's a massive chunk of who I am. Most of my personal development, expecially through my teens came from my Sensei. Having no father figure in my life, he took me under his wing and helped me 'grow up'.

Because of that I feel I have a personal debt I can never pay back. I sometimes feel as though this is somewhat of an anchor, not allowing me progress because I'm too attached (even when I am not getting the best quality of training or any instruction in the dojo).

8. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

I'm attached by base satisfaction. The desire to indulge in food and entertainment.

I wish I could say something more profound or deep was keeping me from training as hard as I could, but I have skipped lessons just to sit around watching movies and eating pizza.

Sloth, thy name is mine.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Family drama.

10. Bluesoup

Bluesoup Valued Member

Family drama for me as well.

To elaborate, I'm very attached to my family (in lots of ways) but there is a lot of infighting going on constantly and being a sensitive person, I haven't yet figured out how to not let it get to me. They are able to function just fine amidst the chaos, but I function best when my life is more..."boring" so to speak.

It's quite troublesome, really

11. Dialectitian

Dialectitian Banned Banned

Attachments are normal to develop. But we should strive to have no attachments, and that is difficult. Liking something, is all OK. Because that thing doesnt request something back. If it is not harmful. And requesting something back when giving something is rude and harms the soul.

Drinking too much is a sign of weak will. I am attached to drinking.

12. Rated Red

Rated Red ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporter

Family drama is ranked pretty high in the "Ugh" department for me. My little sister is the embassador for all things drama; so bad that I've blocked her on FB lol.

Living across the pond has it's advantages :D ;)

13. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Food.

If I wasn't so attached to eating, my life would be much happier!

My mouth wouldn't be though! :)

14. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Jalapenos! The thing with meditating on losing and getting rid of our attachments is that people get attached to its very notion. learning complete indifference is better IMO.

15. BrendanCassidy

BrendanCassidy Valued Member

Being attached to winning and showing off..that you are really talented...when you may be..or may not yet be..or may not be at all..depending on the form im taking on..

16. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I am attached to mediocrity and self sabotage.

17. BrendanCassidy

I'm attached to meditation...and Buddhism..Likely a bit of pragmatism..sometimes an ontologist..every way..im attached to my physical body..and my eye sight..I take it for granted..

18. Hazzard

Hazzard New Member

"I'm attached to...validation."

I've struggled with this. None of the arts I do have any sort of belts or grades, so I really struggle with what sort of metric I can gauge progress with.

When I tell people "I've done martial Arts for 5 years," the first question I get is "Oh you must be a black belt then..."

ummm... well... no....

19. BrendanCassidy

Validation comes from strong observation...such that the observations are true...so therefore is the validation of those particular things..

20. BrendanCassidy

I am attached to attaching things like posts..