Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Fun and Games » Movies and Television
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 30-Apr-2017, 04:55 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
Totally too much boobs. I feel like there was a board room meeting somewhere with a bunch of people brainstorming "How the heck do we get people to stick with this series long enough to care about it?" and a lone voice penetrated the cacophony of debate with a booming "NUDITY."
When I read the first book the big problems I had were A: it was pretty dull and B: I didn't care about the characters (I also found it just unpleasant)
Therefore I can see that emphasising the violence and female nudity is a production decision to make it more interesting (which for me it still fails to do).
www.swindonkungfu.co.uk
Old 30-Apr-2017, 09:54 PM
Valued Member

It gets better. For me Game of Thrones didn't come alive until Season 3. It needs the first two Seasons to set it up though. Especially with some of the very well done plot twists.
Old 30-Apr-2017, 10:53 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal Combat View Post
It gets better. For me Game of Thrones didn't come alive until Season 3. It needs the first two Seasons to set it up though. Especially with some of the very well done plot twists.
I need to keep watching then, because I slowed down around Season 3 and forgot about it. I don't mind the gratuitous nudity though .
Old 01-May-2017, 12:24 AM
Valued Member

I am watching the second episode of Iron Fist to see what you guys are talking about.

It's nice, but the protagonist is super stupid.
That makes the watching experience a little hard now and then.
Old 01-May-2017, 12:48 AM
carnivore in a top hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gash CLF View Post
When I read the first book the big problems I had were A: it was pretty dull and B: I didn't care about the characters (I also found it just unpleasant)
Therefore I can see that emphasising the violence and female nudity is a production decision to make it more interesting (which for me it still fails to do).
I enjoyed the books a lot actually, I think Martin is a very skilled jazz writer; the things he doesn't put in are as important as what he does. Like UC, I'd recommend trying to stick through to season 3.

Hey I got a blog! It's boring and about tiny trees.

https://assortednoveltrees.wordpress.com
Old 02-May-2017, 05:14 AM
Goes well with everything

Finally up to date with Designated Survivor. A few things I guessed.

But what was really off putting was Netflix telling me tgere was product placement. I thought...

"Well thats normal. Product placement has been around since the silents"

Then a crowbarred advert happened in the middle of the show. A character brings out a smartphone, switches on a app and the car boots up.
A close up of the dashboard lighting up, cut to a shot of the car's monitor booting up with the vehicle's make and model.
Then the characters sit in the car and chat more.

...and I thought Fast8's product placement was bad.

Freestyle Wrestling / Muay Thai / Pak Mei

www.ukpakmei.org
Old 10-May-2017, 06:55 PM
boxing is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpcheng View Post
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised.

I figured I'd start [Into the Badlands], fully expecting to "watch it" whilst web browsing on my tablet or playing games on my phone, before finally removing it from my watchlist halfway through the season.

It has forced me to put down all of my handheld devices and stare at the TV screen. Admittedly, there is some cheese in there, acting isn't Oscar worthy but the actors do enough to sell the story for me, and the fight scenes are pretty good. Very "movie fu" but that's to be expected.
I finally got to it last night. First episode ended and I said, "Eh, I'll try the next one." Second episode ended and I said, "That's worth a third. Tomorrow."

The Baron was a bit one-dimensional and over-the-top in the first episode, but I like where he's going in the 2nd. I thought the script for the 2nd episode was brilliant. There's just enough there to tell me where the story is going, but not enough that I can see the entire path. And it surprisingly successfully weaves several disparate story lines together: the Widow's desire to consolidate power, her unusually-intelligent daughter Tilda's independent streak, Quinn's increasing paranoia over his mortal illness and desire to maintain the status quo between the barons, Ryder's naivete and hunger for appreciation, the suggestion that Ryder's mother watches from behind the scenes everything that goes on in her fiefdom, Sunny's newfound love for someone else conflicting strongly with his oath of loyalty, MK's mystery power, ....

Like, seriously, how did the writers fit all of that into two episodes, and do it well?!?!

And, yes, the fight scenes were a bit heavy on wires and whatnot, but, like you, I approved all the same.

My book also on Amazon
Old 11-May-2017, 08:12 AM
Yup... Giant cow head...

I pointed my face at Netflix and 'Archer'. This was another series that has been on my 'watchlist' for ages, and one that I probably had no intention of visiting. However, I was in the market for a daft 20+ minute comedy, and this seemed to fit the bill...

It MORE than fit the bill. I started it about 3 days ago and I think I'm on the 3rd season already. Being late to the party, I thought I was mishearing the name 'ISIS'..
[wrydolphin] 8:54 pm: He is a Chimp, the filthiest of all the great apes. He has to be dirty minded, its genetic.

[Lily] 6:12 am: I can't control my fingers today
Old 20-May-2017, 11:57 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
I pointed my face at Netflix and 'Archer'. This was another series that has been on my 'watchlist' for ages, and one that I probably had no intention of visiting. However, I was in the market for a daft 20+ minute comedy, and this seemed to fit the bill...

It MORE than fit the bill. I started it about 3 days ago and I think I'm on the 3rd season already. Being late to the party, I thought I was mishearing the name 'ISIS'..
I love Archer.
www.swindonkungfu.co.uk
Old 20-May-2017, 11:58 PM
Valued Member

Watching the anime Black Lagoon
www.swindonkungfu.co.uk
Old 21-May-2017, 01:19 AM
boxing is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gash CLF View Post
Watching the anime Black Lagoon
Hmm, the description sounds okay. Netflix has season one on disk, so I added it to my queue.

My book also on Amazon
Old 21-May-2017, 01:34 AM
Valued Member

Quote:

Thanks for mentioning this show.
It's awesome. Sterling Archer is a blast!
I am already in season 4.
Old 21-May-2017, 03:38 AM
Valued Member

+1 Archer is fantastic.
Rick & Morty is also quite good, though a lot weirder.

Legion was my most recent "that was good" tv show. Highly recommended.
Before that I think it was The OA, which was also quite good.

I've been watching One Tree Hill with my wife... she likes the dramas. It is watchable, but not something I would seek out on my own. We're in the first season.
Old 21-May-2017, 08:51 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikiMac View Post
Hmm, the description sounds okay. Netflix has season one on disk, so I added it to my queue.
UK Netflix has all of it streaming
www.swindonkungfu.co.uk