Gloves for sparring

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by conure1986, May 4, 2015.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I wouldn't advocate buying cheap tat from sportsdirect either HOWEVER... The challenger 2.0 glove from Venum is a solid glove and available cheaply through them. get the 16oz for sparring. It'll last you and you can grab a costly leather Thai glove when you need to replace and are sure you want to stick it out.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

One of my heavier lads went through a pair of them in just two weeks. They got wrecked. I wouldn't bother with Venus anymore. Their stitching quality has gone downhill.

3. leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins Valued Member

Interesting you mention about the bag gloves, why do you think that not using them is necessary? the reason I ask is that I have always used 12 oz MTG's for sparring and bagwork (everything), I bought them because they are the pair my coach had when I first started, I didn't know any better. They have recently started spilling some foam out.

My coach advised me to get some bag gloves and to advise to go up to 14oz gloves for some reason. He seems to be an advocate of using the bag gloves for the bag work and 14 oz for the sparring instead of my 12's. What in your opinion is not good about using bag gloves? just curious caus I have never used them before.

4. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

Anything besides Top King which are like pillows (but well constructed). I like English brand boxing gloves, they hold up well and the new ones have gel + wicking + more air holes, etc.

Also most of the options under 50$ not on sale won't be constructed as well and won't last as long. I prefer leather because it also lasts longer and generally is constructed to last longer since it uses more expensive materials anyways.

I like to get one good pair of 16 oz for sparring which I only use for sparring. For the bag and pads it's bare or some cheap gloves from Ebay. Whatever helps you on your MT journey.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I use 16oz for everything BUT I have been finding lately that I'm tweaking my elbow when I do bagwork and I'm thinking I might try something lighter for the bag.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

RDX gloves are good for the money, but they go quite soft after a while. We didn't get on with their shinpads at all, found they were falling apart in under a year. Their MMA sparring gloves are REALLY good for the money.

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I have a pair of Sandee Cooltec gloves at 16oz whichbi swear are just as good as twins specials. Really nice distribution of weight, solid, great fit, look slick and less bulky than the twins.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. neems

neems Valued Member

Boxing gloves are different to Thai boxing gloves,almost all the padding is focused around the front of the knuckles.

So not only will the back of your fist (and your opponents head) have less protection,but you'll also be sparring with much thicker gloves if they're the same weight.

I'd buy light sparring and bag gloves at 12-14 oz and 16 oz for harder sparring,if you just use 14's for everything they'll end up too soft to spar with safely in no time.