Bad grading experiences

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by c_storm51, Feb 7, 2003.

1. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

I was just reading through some posts and thought - "I wonder if anyone has some grading horror stories:eek:?"....does anyone?

What attitudes do you take when approaching a grading - how do you feel when you're doing it - focussed, nervous etc....?

Personally I find it nerve racking - everyone looking at me - it's always hard to critisise yourself, let alone have someone you respect do it for you! I really enjoy the feeling afterwards, though - immence satisfaction/relief!

Chris

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

my first n last grading ended in less than 15 minutes? :mad:
    need more bad experiences?
    -TkdWarrior-

3. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

I think that's probably enough for one man....!!!!

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Worst ever grading...

Red Tags....... My instructor was on the grading panel and was watching me break... no I'd broken with a turning kick soooo many times before. Unfortuantely, I was far too cocky misfired and whacked the holder.

Cue foot pulsating like a bulls heart and my instructor telling me to try again and again until I broke it.

Owwww..... passed though. Took me 8 attempts but worth it. Took a lot of cockiness out of my walk that's for sure.

5. Cain

Cain New Member

First x'am - Green Belt
    Accidently stepped on my instructor's foot while trying to return to stance after being thrown off balance from a rather bad spin kick.

Third x'am

I was so busy thinking other things that I had done a front kick for three full counts, while the whole pack was doing a side snap kick :( I got quite a hearing from my teacher about this one :(

There were worse, but I'd rather not describe them ;)

|Cain|

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

hey cain 999 posts now we are all waiting for ur profound intellectual 1000th post :D

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Black belt green tag grading:

Had a temperature of 108F
    Somehow managed to get through the grading, several hours of it, and then promptly collapsed as soon as I got in the car. Turned out I was having a relapse of pneumonia. Not a lot of fun.

8. bbcb_98

bbcb_98 New Member

At the green belt level we had to break a concrete block. I didnt break it on the first try using an elbow strike so I really wound up and hit it as hard as I could. Went so far past the block that I cracked my nose into one of the supporting blocks. My nose didnt stop bleeding for four hours.

Luckily concrete blocks arent known for attacking people. If they ever did I would be in big trouble.

9. Cain

Cain New Member

It's out already :D

See thread 'so who's your hero' in general discussion :D

|Cain|

10. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I fainted halfway through my first grading.... instead of the coloured belt I was going for, I was awarded an "advanced white belt", lol

11. r4bid

r4bid New Member

In one of my tests while performing block techinques with the Master standing right over my sholder I smacked my friend right in the nose, hard, hard enough to make a very loud noise and send him down to the ground in pain.
    The master gave me a big talk about control and I was sure he wouldn't pass me.
    Luckily he did.

12. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

I'm nervous at any test. But I focus on proper technique.

When it was time for my blue belt test in TSD, I didn't test. Not because I wasn't ready, or wasn't supposed to. I had surgery a few days before. But my instructor said he would test me when I came back to class. I agreed.

So two weeks later, he tested me. The thing was, I had no clue I was being tested. He went about teaching the class as normal. We did forms, and and technique work. Then he said I need you to do one step sparring because I'm testing you ....... What!?!?!?!?! I wasn't nervous till he said that! I did do my required one steps. Then he had me break after class. I didn't spar because of the surgery, but he knew I could spar. I got my blue belt the next class :D

My blue belt test in TKD was really quick. There was a bad snow storm outside. Half the people who were supposed to test, didn't show up. There were 7 of us outta 20 who were supposed to test there. We did only our required highest form and one lower form (we normally do three or four if we know that many), step sparring, and sparred for 30 seconds (we usually spar three people for one minute). That's it. The whole test (of all 7) took half an hour. Usually a test takes an hour or more. We usually also do technique work and stuff during tests also, but we didn't. I passed, though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2003
  13. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I have never been graded, I just showed up one day and got a yellow belt ^_^. Well not quite, my sensai likes to just watch to see when you are ready. I like that much more as people don't just train specifics to get a new belt. I think this system also help to recognize that diffrent people have diffrent strengths.

14. Spike

Spike New Member

My last grading in Aikido, we had Tintin`s old instructor up for the weekend to take a seminar and he graded me and freefrom, the problem was at the seminar the day before he`d gone through our syllabus with us, and changed every technique to a greater or lesser degree. so when I graded I paused halfway through and desperately tried to remember which way we were supposed to do the techniques

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

My worst grading was the time we all turned up to find the grading hall locked and the car park empty. They'd changed the venue and somehow got around to telling everyone but us! So as a result I had to wait another 3 months for my blue belt.

16. gingerninja

gingerninja Don't mock the sideburns

Purple belt in Wado, did it a fractured bone in my foot. Did Pinan Godan 5 times cos of the landing with poor form - bloody well in lots of pain and generally being useless.

Freeform and myself agree on the useless bit, worst grading in my life.

17. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Yeah, my first BB grading was a bad experience.

I asked for my £135 back!

18. gingerninja

gingerninja Don't mock the sideburns

£135!!!!!!!

For that money I hope you get a free T-shirt AND keyring:D

19. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

It's a long story, but the final straw was being told that we'd all have to return at a later date to do a Brown Belt course we'd never heard of before. We wouldn't be awarded our BB's, regardless of how we performed at the grading, unless we returned and finished this course to the tune of £60.

Sound like a McDojo?

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

You actually incorparated the changes! I didn't, I could barely remember how to start! Once I did though I bombed it through and did A ok! ;)

Was actually tempted to ask Danny if he knew about that. It was a vicious circle, the more you did it, the more it hurt you, the worse it got. Still can't believe the other result that day...

As for my worst grading, I was failed my Tai Jitsu blue belt the first time around for being 'flipant whilst demonstrating my first aid knowledge' and for forgetting which bones were the tarsals and which the carpals.

Or a karate grading that I forgot about and only realise it was happening when I changed pub (one of my classmates was the barman) this exchange took place after about 6pints at 23.00hrs

'Hi Rab, I'll have an 80 and a packet of salt and vinegar please.'

'Sure,you not grading then, Col?'

'What?!?'

'Tommorow morning'

'Bugger, better make it a double instead, got a Taxi number?'

;)

Col