"all fights end up on the ground"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Infesticon #1, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Whilst I'll admit that the last time I was in a fight was at secondary school (about age 15/16) none of the fights I've ever been in have ended up on the ground.

Fights I've seen happen, about 3 of them ended up on the ground, because 1 of the people took it to the ground.

so am I just seeing a small biased percentage or is the above quote wrong, or both or neither?

ps. most fights I saw ended up in a headlock or an armbar.

2. totality

totality New Member

it depends on who is in the fight. 2 stupid prepubescent children just swinging at each other may end up on the ground, may not.

and how do most fights you've seen end in an armbar if few go to the ground?

lastly, my guess is that it was a side headlock, and while it may seem effective, anyone with a month of grappling experience, would promptly put their assailant on his back.

3. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Fights taken to the end will end up on the ground. Well at least one of the fighters will be on the ground and the other fighter is on the way home.

4. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

so armbars only happen if someone's on the ground?

not all the fights I saw were between "stupid prepubescent children".

5. Epsilon

Epsilon New Member

Are we talking about street fights, because if we are, I find that one on one fight's do end up in the ground. The person on the top is usually pounding the c*** out of the person on the ground. If it's 2 or more against 1, the one is usually on the ground getting kicked the c*** out of him.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

it just bugs me because it's such a massive generalization and I see it in a lot of posts here and it didn't seem right to me.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Its not quite right, it does depend a lot on who's involved and your surroundings. A very small number of fights I've seen or been involved in have gone to the ground, none of those ones that I've been involved in.

The original statistic was, I believe, taken from the police, where they're generally taught to restrain suspects rather than just hit them repeatedly. Of course, if your police force is taught just to hit people until they get a chance to run away then the statistics might be different.

8. Adam

Adam New Member

9. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Yeah, it's kind of sad that one on one fights turn into a cuddling match most of the time, at least the ones I have seen that haven't ended in a one hitter quitter. Usually the participants roll around as awkward as tortises trying to make love. It makes me laugh when I see people fighting who can't grapple fumbling all over their opponents bodies.

10. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I don't believe a non-grappler would deliberately take a fight to the ground and I don't believe that a grappler can garuantee the fight goes to the ground.

There's been plenty of drunken mayhem in my corner of the world to say that I've never seen it happen since I was a kid.

Rgds,
    David

11. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-It makes good propeganda and is a good marketing slogan if you are trying to sell a course in groundfighting, but statistically it's untrue. When I was getting my certification towards being a tactical instructor, this topic came up. The original stat that the Gracie's exaggerated was that one out of three fights between drunks outside of liquor stores go to the ground. Kind of sobering, isn't it? This is not to bash grappling or groundfighting (I do and teach both), but exaggerations and false data helps no one. Grappling and groundfighting are a vital component to being a well rounded fighter and a must IMO, but it is FAR from the ultimate strategy that some of it's proponents try to make it out to be. In the early NHB competitions it was extremely effective because it was an area that most had neglected and were unprepared for.

12. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

fights are wrong and should be prevented my school dundee crown high school in illinois is one bloody battlefield fights all the time.

13. shadow warrior

shadow warrior Valued Member

I agree with Kwang Jang. People should strive to develop ALL aspects of skills. Proliferation of the MOST FIGHTS END UP ON THE GROUND marketing plan has been amazing..second ONLY to the Bruce Lee postumous marketing strategy..in martial arts recent history..

..spending the MAJORITY of your training time ground fighting will result in your skills being MORE applicable to refereed situations..
    with only one opponent and LESS applicable to situations in which most average people find themselves. Remain standing and RUN is a much BETTER initial response than dragging some attacker to the ground immediately hoping to get an arm bar!!!

FBI statistics on which this urban myth were based NEVER withstood ANY analysis undertaken by Statistical Experts. The sample collection methods was so poor that it could not be coded for SSSPS..the benchmark program for social science..to this date NO data has been published in ANY refereed social journal!!

The statistic should read almost all MMA fights with a referee go to the ground!!!

14. totality

totality New Member

THAT is COOL, shadow WARRIOR. thank YOU for THE information.

15. DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J Banned Banned

Bull poopy. All fights do not end up on the ground.

16. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Nope....not all of them, some do, some don't
    But you'll never know until you're there, so you best be prepared;)

17. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

It would be a good thing, however, to have enough knowledge to prevent getting kicked in the head if you do happen to go down. It seems as if my city is quickly becoming populated with Mixed MA guys who would love nothing more than to take other people down. I study martial arts so that hopefully the other guy is the one on the ground - quivering in pain. The idea of rolling around on broken beer bottles and hypodermic needles is not appealing.

18. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

You always say that :p

All THE fights I HAVE seen ended up on THE ground UNLESS they WERE broken up, as eightfold path SAID earlier, they TOO ended up looking like "...tortises trying to make love."; which is really SICK by the WAY.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  19. Nordic_Blood

Nordic_Blood New Member

three thingsd you can be sure of in a street fight:

chaos
    mayhem
    and someone will be on the gound when its over

20. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

Why risk that they won't?

You've got a gapping hole in your skills if you're neglecting groundwork, takedowns, sprawls...

Lacking any skills I'm just a gapping something.