Teaching the boring bits to young kids

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Theidiot, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

They do that in aikido with the kids, except with a lightweight foam sword instead of a staff. They do it to teach reactions, movement, timing and such.

Actually there's some irony here. Over 2 years ago, in our first karate class, an instructor asked my son what he would do if someone tried to hit him on the head. This was a precursor to teaching high block. As the instructor brought his hand down in a chopping action, my son made no attempt to block, but just casually stepped aside. The instructor laughed and was impressed, but then explained about blocking. Over 2 years on, at aikido, they teach you to swiftly get out of the way :)

2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

The reason I recommend using staff in particular, is that the mechanics of movement with the staff depend principally on turning the hips and shoulders simultaneously. the movement of the hips governs the movement of the shoulders. the stick physically links the hands which reinforces the sensation of how the shoulders and hips are moving. It is the position and movement of the hips that drive the position and movement of the feet ( not the other way around). Therefore using a staff gives a practical demonstration of the importance of stance that you feel with your entire body.

It is not an accident that the staff is a cornerstone of most Chinese Martial arts.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I didn't mean to imply you did.
    For that you seemed to be too open; and yes, I told others that they seem to do that. Usually with answers like: "I do not, BUT..." :rolleyes:

I agree: Getting kids interested in any sport and playing outside is *so* important.
    No matter if we like the sport or not, as long as they enjoy it and actually *move* and such.

Here I agree to a certain level.

Personally I don't think that in that age (like 7, a little older or even younger) the focus just can't or better: shouldn't be on the violence-part.
    They're kids and I don't like focusing too much on that because, in my opinion, at that age they should still be allowed to be a bit more unconcerned about violence.
    Do thy know what it is, if explained? Sure, kids aren't dumb after all. They often feel when something is off before grown-ups.
    But focusing on it? Personally not a fan.

I nearly threw a fit when our main kid instructor told the little kids (like 4 years old!): "But on the street, when they're on drugs..."
    First off: Gee, they're 4 and 5 years old!
    Second: I hate the phrase "they", especially with kids. Who's "they"?

But I'm running away from the topic, sorry.

That is what I meant in my other post: Why shouldn't the same go for "normal" sports?

Why is MA so superior to baseball for example.
    They even learn to swing a bat there.

It can have self-defense yes (which is way more than fighting, but okay), but that shouldn't be the focus at that age.

But why should a kid that plays soccer, football, gymnastics, ballet, whatever have less good basics to develop "workout habits" or get old?

It's up to the kids how long the will enjoy something.

I'm 100% with Ben: Being a role model and showing how it's down, no matter the sport, that will leave more impressions, that being sent to do something, where they need to motivate themselves more.

And that's what can get "dangerous" and why I think parents should have a close look if the kids actually enjoy it or do it, because they want Mom and Dad to be happy or proud.

Sidenote: What do you give your kids to eat, that they like doing forms and such? ;)

4. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

It's not that I want my son, or any kid, to understand really violence. What I meant by that is that through training, we get to instinctively understand certain things that would otherwise only be learned the disgraceful way, ie to actually witness or be involved in real violence.

Take sparring as an example. My son is being taught that it is not ok to hit people, and it is not ok to be hit. Sparring, light contact with headguard and padded gloves and boots, with rules etc, in an environment where your partner is your friend, gives kids the opportunity to learn what it's like to have someone aim kicks and punches at you, how to evade, block and counter. It's not even vaguely realistic at this stage, which is good, but at the same time it us laying the foundation to not panic.

5. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

If he doesn't keep up his stances he needs to learn how to fight without them.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

When I teach little ones I simply break it down into more manageable bits. 10-15 minutes at a time instead of 45-60 minutes for adults. They seem to absorb it much more easily.

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

^^^
    This is spot on.

Kids only listen to so much before switching off. The example shown speaks volumes and is far more influential.

Plus he's only 7! As well as show a positive example, make sure he is enjoying what he's doing, there's no rush to get them to be the best, many years of training ahead to mold that.

:hat:

8. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

I agree with the above. If you're wanting a more practical solution, we use brightly coloured pool noodles in the kids class that I assist in. Getting knocked in the face with a pool noodle is funny for the kids, and it also teaches them to keep their hands up. It's also a great way to teach ducking and weaving, keeping your eye on the opponent (in this case, the noodle). A kind of "catch me if you can" game.