This systema video

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by greg1075, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Which is funny as the hype they were selling 20 years ago was that the KGB created it during the Cold War.

2. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

THen that means later they changed the history about the origins

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Which is why I said
    Worth noting that there's a general trend in Russia at the moment for fake cossak culture.

4. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

My opinion about systema:

I don't necessarily say it won't work for defending yourself. But to say that is the best or the most realistic self-defense approach, sounds like a marketing strategy ( in order to get more people buy the training DVD's )

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Although I've heard systema contains some merit deep beneath the dross, I think that the dross appears so mountainous as to warrant any attempt to dig through it a pretty thankless task. If you want to play spetznas it could be a laugh... But paintballing looks better.

6. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

And thus we come full circle, some people don't know they don't know.

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Which unsurprisingly is the person making that statement and who thinks people falling over like they've been hit by a cannon at the gentlest touch is realistic. That is someone who has never actually put fist to face in hard training.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm going to try and elevate our dialogue now:

I know you are but what am I?

[​IMG]

9. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

You guys should try to get out more, your Google keyboard Kung fu or your inter school isolation, needs some real life interactions with other practioners who have some real skills.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Jog on troll

The video displays some good base mechanics done against corpses...so proves nothing combatively

Saying it isn't impressive as a combat application does not imply no skill it implies he is punching stiffs who respond as "good students should"....it's OK as a demo of sorts but is just another "Tommy Caruthers riverdance" video

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Aw,who wants to meet people like that? Then we'd have to admit we're all incompetent.:cry:

I'd rather study Dux-ryu.:ninja1:Don't have to prove anything then.

12. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

- How many martial artists does it take to change a light bulb?

- One to change it, 99 to argue about the technique and say how it wouldn’t work on the street.

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Or in MAP's case...
    How many martial artists does it take to screw a duck into a light bulb socket?

99 who actually know what a light bulb is to say "that's a duck" and 1 to tell them they "just don't understand"

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Every time I try to screw in a duck into a light bulb socket, some other martial artist yells "duck" and then I'm too short to reach the socket. :p

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Hey,gang. This guy's stuff is not the Rus Systema-here's some writing from one of the YT vid pages-

"Javier Vargas Rare Videos TV (youtube.com/forenzikproductions)
    Is DK YOO The Next Bruce Lee? New Martial Artist Master of 15 Fighting Styles. DK YOO created his own martial arts self defense fighting style called Systema, a mix between 15 Martial Arts Fighting Styles including Boxing, Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Judo, Qi Gong, MMA Mixed Martial Arts and many others to incorporate using your own body movement and momentum of the opponent against them and to defeat anyone using effortless speed and flawless technique. Dk Yoo Montage Tribute New 2016 Secret Training Rare Video! DK Yoo could be the next Bruce Lee, you decide, leave a comment below about your thoughts! Edited by Rare Videos by Javier Vargas Videos TV!"

P.S. Why do I so often see folks referring to ch'i gung as a "fighting style" or "martial art":confused:

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ah!

I always thought his vid looked nothing like Russian Systema, thanks for the clarification.

17. Istvan

Istvan New Member

Hi Greg1075,

I know him a bit and this video a very much edited version of showing his core principles of his art. I believe this video was edited for a soul purpose of show his ability and draw attention towards his work. But as always do not judge the book from its front.
    So please do not judge D.K. Yoo and his art from only one video and neither judge Systema itself from this video. Most of us are coming from different martial arts background before find the latest one we think is the ultimate for us. He studied some time Systema. Uses Systema principles in his work but this video shows him as a human martial artist as a combo of mixed martial arts.
    Speed as always relative. Working all time on your highest speed means nothing. High speed regarding to what speed or to whom?

lets pick any exercise: e.g. against punch, avoidance and counter punch (could be anything else but lets start a simple one)
    You must practice things in 3 stages. Static, slow and fast dynamics. The first two need to be able to examine how the bio-mechanism works and teach your body memory to pick up the new topics and teach your nervous system to get to the right load for the actual speed. Then gradually can speed up with your understanding level. Speed up up to the point when your work fell apart and unable to deliver the practisable task. Realise this and slow back to the speed where you able to readjust your mistakes and deliver the right work all time (most time). Finish of your practice on this speed. This gives you a good feel you progress and your body memory and brain leave the topics in the right state the exercise.
    Start a new exercise if you wish depending on your ability and tiredness level.

Above mentioned method is one of the good to follow studying principle in my mind. Some of the teacher in RMA Systema teaches this Principle in their methodology others not.

Summarizing the post, go and practice with as many teacher as you can and make your own judgement is it works for you or not. As an enthusiastic martial artist studied many arts before and recent years I`m examining, studying and teaching RMA Systema (I`m neither guru neither master as these are also relative ;). If you wish to have a chat please drop me a line.

18. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Oh it absolutely does. The problem is that all the meritorious portions seem almost exclusively to be Sambo, imported by Sambists. That's been the case with all the "military" themed demonstrations i've seen from Russia. Basically just regular Sambists doing exceptional throws and weird two handed neck chops and extremely dubious disarms. It's strange to see someone use a sock to take a rifle from a guy, ninja roll over his back and awkwardly chop him in the back of the neck, but then send him into orbit with the cleanest Georgian throw you've ever seen.