Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

which is still taller than you :p

2. Fish Of Doom

lazy potato:

snatch hang high pull:
    20kg 1xn
    30kg 1xn
    40kg 1xn
    50kg 1xn
    60kg 1x3
    first post-seminar training session, and i'm still borked from 7 days of consecutive training. didn't really count reps here as i'm just doing stuff that needs improving until it kinda sorta feels like it's going well (i remember i did 3 with 70 though)

power snatch + overhead squat:
    20kg 1xn
    30kg 1xn
    40kg 1xn
    50kg 1xn
    bunch of singles. hips were absolutely derpy today which made sitting in the hole a nightmare, and meant very little leg power today, but 50 went up and i only failed a minimum of reps, so i'm taking that as a positive sign.

snatch:
    40kg 1xn
    50kg 1xn
    ditto. no chance in hell i'd have managed 60 today, but the more vertical torso does mean my technique is somewhat more consistent.

clean and jerk:
    30kg 1xn
    40kg 1xn
    50kg 1xn
    60kg 1xn
    70kg 1x1
    75kg 1x1
    failed 80 multiple times (leaning forwards, possible upper back rounding, not getting elbows up in time, except one where i did and still lost the bar forwards in the hole :p), decided today was not a good day for proper oly lifting, and proceeded to derp around.

hang clean:
    60kg 4x3
    first triple was absurdly hard, but confirmed the leaning forwards stuff, so stretched a bit, did some activation stuff and tightened up my technique and the others were a breeze.

power clean and press:
    60kg 1x1 (+2 extra presses)
    65kg 2x1
    first 65 was an attempt at a double, but no go. second i held up for time (prolly around 30 seconds) just for the lulz.

(deficit) snatch-grip deadlift:
    40kg 1x3 no deficit
    40kg 1x3 small deficit (standing on 10kg plate)
    40kg 1x3 big deficit (15kg plate)
    60kg 3/3/3/12 big deficit
    one of the things dmitry showed us for the seminar, specifically for weak legs, but which i'm gonna start using to get used to a closer stance in the hole (because the bar literally pulls me down into position).

one-arm deadlift:
    60kg 2/1/1/1
    because why the hell not :p. lots of chalk was involved.

farmer's walk:
    30kg 50m/25m
    100 and 50 steps with 30kg DBs. they REALLY need to get heavier ones :p

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Lazy potato is still nutritious :p.

At the risk of being somewhat impractical to set up but a hell of a lot of fun, have you tried doing farmers walks with the same weight of barbell?

Not the most practical to set up but a damn sight harder even with the same weight. And that way you could bump the weight up if you wanted.

4. Fish Of Doom

not enough space, i need to turn too much :p

5. Fish Of Doom

seriously considering rowing one of the barbells with one hand though.

6. LemonSloth

Do what I do, grab the other equipment and drag it out of the way.

No wait, don't do that. You might get in trouble.

Could always put them down after a set distance and immediately pick them up again like they did at last years' WSM event :p. They are pretty damn cumbersome though.

Do it do it do DO IT DO IT!

Also, video it.

:D

7. Fish Of Doom

herp derp potato:

snatch:
    40kg 1x3
    45kg 6x1
    50kg 6x1
    warmed up with pulls and stuff which i didn't log. technique is gradually dialing in, but it still sucks, and my hips and shoulders are still kinda borked. may lay off the heavy oly stuff tomorrow. hell, i might start to need to periodize... (*puke*)

ohp:
    50kg 1x5
    55kg 1x5
    60kg 1x5
    65kg 1x1
    each set off a power clean. this 65 was like a 10 second grinder. definitely need some more rest (but it was still strict off a clean rack, and it went up)

clean:
    65kg 3x1
    70kg 1x1
    75kg 1x1
    my clean has inexplicably gone to crap. failed 75 several times before getting it, and couldn't get 80 again. yersterday i filmed my reps, and slow-mo playback reveals that for some reason i'm not fully getting my elbows through, even though i catch at the right height; i literally catch the bar with low elbows, stop, with plenty of time to keep putting the elbows through, don't put the elbows though, and then descend and lose the bar in the hole. like, WTH.

btn push press:
    60kg 1x6
    after that much derp, the correct answer is to play, and play i did. wanted more but my left shoulder kinda called it quits after the 65kg press, so i just ditched the bar on the 7th rep after it acted up.

one-arm DL:
    60kg 5x1
    i fricking love these.

one-arm row:
    60kg 2x3
    lol... [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3Rt25GJdU&feature=youtu.be"]60kg unilateral lulz - YouTube[/ame]

pendlay row:
    60kg 5x10
    tried a narrower grip for shiggles and actually liked it more :p

farmer's walk:
    36kg 25m
    also for shiggles, but with two kettlebells (a 16 and a 20)

8. Fish Of Doom

lazy potato:

power clean and press:
    30kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    45kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    55kg 1x5
    60kg 15x1
    proper pcnp (1 pc, 1 press). laying off the proper oly stuff for a little while, and gonna take tomorrow off from training, as my shoulders and hips are absolutely destroyed for some reason, and i can't squat without discomfort (which logically makes my oly lifts rather crap right now). 60s done in about 10 minutes (strength was technically there to do more, but my left shoulder was still protesting the two days of 65kg presses).

power clean:
    40kg 1x5
    45kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    55kg 1x5
    60kg 1x5
    65kg 1x5
    70kg 1x5
    for lulz, mainly.

clean pull:
    60kg 1x3
    70kg 1x3
    80kg 1x3
    90kg 2x3
    meh.

deficit dl:
    90kg 1x3
    not as fun as the snatch grip deficit dl. meh. packed up and went home.

9. Fish Of Doom

weekend potato:

power snatch:
    30kg 1x3
    40kg 1x3
    50kg 5x1
    saturday morning training. hips still borked, suspect some sort of inflammation of or around the rec. fem. tendon. nowhere near being able to full snatch, and lacking a bit of hip pop (prolly because i had no food in me), but otherwise regular.

power clean:
    50kg 1x5
    interspersed with foam rolling and stretching to try to get my hips to behave.

paused front squat:
    50kg 3x1
    ditto.

clean and jerk:
    50kg 1x1
    55kg 1x1
    60kg 1x1
    65kg 1x1
    some cleaning work. hips seemed up for it. failed jerk on 70 and continued with normal full cleans.

clean:
    70kg 1x1
    75kg 1x1
    80kg 1x1
    missed two attempts at 85 and went into play mode. resuming regular classes with pedro next week (klokov's visit screwed with his schedule for this week since he got volunteered as translator, apparently).

ohp:
    50kg 10x5
    untimed, for lulz and submax volume.

one-arm barbell row:
    50kg 5/3
    lol.

clean pull:
    80kg 3x5
    to get some more stimulus in.

snatch pull:
    60kg 3x5
    why not?

rdl:
    60kg 4x1
    super slow paused singles with feet together. aiming for maximum stretch and TUT.

plank:
    1min
    +15kg 1min
    +30kg 30sec
    the +30kg was with an atlas stone, which probably looked hilarious but was also quite awkward. need to find people who i can convince to sit on my back.

10. LemonSloth

:eek:

Duuuuuuuude, sweet, sweet planking.

Have you thought about planking suspended off the ground (say using two benches) and a weight belt?

11. Fish Of Doom

hmmm... that could be doable...

also, pedro wants me to plank with at least 50kg, which i have done before (when i visited sweden), but which is a veritable buttalgia to do without 25kg plates (and the atlas stones are too awkward, they roll off too easily)

12. LemonSloth

Jeez dude. Keep up all this planking shenanigans and you'll end up with some serious wood.

...Get it? Plank...wood?

Eh, wasted potential, I tells ya :p.

What size plates have you got access to?

Is it worth suggesting wearing a backpack and shoving a dumbbell in there as well or something? :dunno:

13. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

+a bunch. Whenever i do weighted planks, I like to use a backpack of some sort. @Fish-you could also use a sandbag. They're pretty easy to balance in my experience. A backpack is ideal, though, IMHO. :hat:

14. Fish Of Doom

i'm pretty sure the box has a weighted vest somewhere...

biggest plates we have are 20kg btw

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I'll be happy to assist you. :evil:

16. Fish Of Doom

how much do your sisters weight?

17. Fish Of Doom

analgesic potato (feels less pain):

power snatch:
    30kg 2x3
    35kg 2x3
    40kg 2x3
    45kg 2x3
    50kg 2x3
    after a whole bunch of warming up to try to get my hips to not be buttholes (with marginal success). still starting with powers to get some work in BEFORE my hips can go and screw everything up (still, seem to be getting better). also the humidity was WAY up today, which made everything a bit of a mess (even my wrists were hurting when loaded, which rarely happens, and is weird as i've never injured them)

snatch pull + snatch + snatch balance:
    20kg 1x1
    30kg 1x1
    40kg 1x1
    45kg 1x1
    50kg 1x1
    pull, snatch, balance complex to try to get some squatty work in and see what was up. still painful, but somewhat doable (also my pull seems to have improved a bit, but may be wishful thinking)

power clean:
    40kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    60kg 1x3
    65kg 1x3
    70kg 1x2
    75kg 1x1
    80kg 1x1
    same deal, although i have fewer issues with cleans than with snatches. the 80 was a bit low for a power, but i didn't ride it all the way down so i'll leave it as power clean :p

clean + front squat:
    60kg 1x3
    65kg 1x2
    70kg 1x1
    clean + front squat, same deal as the pull, snatch, balance.

clean
    60kg 1x1
    65kg 1x1
    70kg 1x1
    75kg 1x1
    80kg 1x1
    clean singles. squat under is unsurprisingly still iffy, so i missed the three attempts i made at 85 (second one i got under it but lost it forwards, third was an abomination), but i seem to be adapting to starting the pull a bit more upright, which is interesting.

clean pull + hang high pull:
    80kg 1x5
    had to leave somewhat early, so i just did a set of pull, hang pull to start the process of completely dominating 80kg.

18. Fish Of Doom

elephant potato (can't jump):

1h weightlifting:
    weightlifting with pedro. same as usual, weighted jumping, snatch drills et al. like always, my snatch sucks because i can't jump worth a damn and am not mobile enough to catch the bar low, but he likes my clean. i'm starting to seriously suspect that my near criminal lack of hamstrings is a heavy factor in how slow i am in squatting under (along with my crappy ankles that don't bend much). every person i've seen who snatches heavy has absolutely monstrous hamstrings.

clean:
    70kg 1x1
    75kg 1x1
    80kg 1x1
    70kg 5x1
    cleans after pedro left. tried 85 but no go again (way slow on the way up and not able to properly get under it. he made me do clean + 2 front squats a couple of times with 70 and that probably killed my oomph a little, but at least 80 is a consistent number.

ohp:
    60kg 3/3/3/2/2/2
    40kg 10/10/10/10/5/5
    10 minutes at each weight. wanted 5x10 but the effort was making my legs cramp up hard so left it at 5s. someday i'll 20-rep 40kg. also shoulder wanted to quit during the 60s.

plank:
    +10kg 1min
    +20kg 1min
    +30kg 1min
    using boxes, a chain and plates :p. amusingly, i'd been drinking so much water that the pressure was making my esophagus hurt. less-amusingly, that annoyed the hell out of me while doing the planks (and was the main reason i didn't try 40)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  19. Fish Of Doom

nirvana potato (was enlightened):

snatch:
    40kg 5x1
    45kg 5x1
    50kg 5x1
    55kg 5x1
    60kg 5x1
    applied ice pack to both hips before leaving, warmed up and mobilized properly, did my 30kg jump squats like pedro wants me to, and had my best workout in some time. only failed something like 1-2 reps with 50 and i think 3 with 60, which is basically a consistency PR :p. also took some reference videos for later analysis (i'm pretty sure i'm jumping backwards on most of the snatches i fail, which figures since i always lose the bar forwards).

clean:
    60kg 1x2
    65kg 1x2
    70kg 1x2
    75kg 1x2
    80kg 1x2
    i keep failing 85, but should be perfectly capable of doing 82.5, so will take my little plates to the box tomorrow. video showed that i manage to get the elbows through but i'm not being able to keep the bar on me.

one-arm BB row:
    40kg 1x5
    45kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    55kg 1x5
    herp derp :D. no chalk.

one-arm deadlift:
    55kg 1x5
    60kg 1x4
    65kg 1x3
    70kg 1x2
    75kg 1x1
    80kg 1x1
    85kg 1x1
    90kg 1x1
    95kg 1x1
    100kg 1x1
    chalked right from the start, hook grip on the third 65 and onwards on both sides, strapped up at 85 because it felt my thumb was going to shred. need more pain tolerance.

deadlift:
    100kg 1x5
    105kg 1x4
    110kg 1x3
    115kg 1x3
    120kg 1x2
    125kg 1x1
    i derped somewhere and miscounted either reps or weight, so did 5/4/3/3/2/1 up to 125 instead of 5/4/3/2/1 up to 120 like i wanted to :p. all double overs with some chalk.

ohp:
    60kg 4x4
    purely for shiggles and to see how well my shoulder held up.

also,
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCg6M699Md8"]100kg strapped one-arm deadlift - YouTube[/ame]
    :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  20. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I wish I were more familiar with the metric system so I could read your (and a number of others) blog without having to do conversion maths. :/ Cool stuff, dude. :) I have to try this one arm deadlift thing. Never heard of it till just now. :D :cool: