First workout in years ... Time to recover?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by u6s68, Jun 19, 2014.

1. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

I have taken it easy and neglected my training and I went to a boxing class and circuit training yesterday. I was gassed; everything felt swollen this morning and I ache all over. Should I go again tonight or wait till next week? Do I need time to recover or can I safely hit it again tonight? I know my performance will be worse tonight because of the tight muscles etc but the warm up should help.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I would just wait a couple of days then go. I don't think you need to wait a week.

Maybe do some stretching at home or recovery work.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Cold showers are your friend man. Especially in the beginning, cold showers can really speed up the healing process when it comes to DOMS IME. Just wait a few days, certainly you'll be fine before next week.

EDIT: stretches and cool downs are good too.

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

What Chadderz said.

Initially if you're suffering that much, it's probably not a good idea to go again the next night until you're feeling well enough to try.

5. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Cheers folks. Really stoked to go again.

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

There is already some great advice on aiding and shortening recovery time here u6s68, so I just wanted to add a quick thought on prevention...

Although your mind will remember what you were capable of in years passed, when you used to Train (possibly) more regularly, your Body after such a prolonged period, will not - Be sure you are giving yourself enough time to regain your fitness, without trying to jump straight in to how things used to be. The Human Body can handle being tested, but it does not take kindly to being forced.

Regards,

Travess

7. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

Cheers guys. I left it for 4 days and haven't had the swelling and same kind of pain since.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

sounds great man, don't forget ice too!

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Make sure you have a really thorough stretch straight after training. That will help you recover with a bit less pain!

I've heard that icing is very effective too, although personally I've never tried it.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Chocolate milk after training will help some too

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Help you throw up?

12. Moi

It's something in it that helps? Frodo put me onto it and it seems to work

13. LemonSloth

Probably the sugar post training acts as a pick me up.

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's the protein in the milk that helps as well as the carbs in the chocolate from what I understand

15. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Drink lots of water, apply ice, use anti inflammatory gel and be sure to get some rest. Sometimes after a hard training session I take ibuprofen which helps with swelling. You can also get ibuprofen gel as well. If you have a bath you could also try bath crystals that help with muscle relaxation. Some people also use Epsom salts as magnesium is reported to help with muscle soreness (I haven't tried it myself).

For after training I like to drink coconut water as its a great source of electrolytes, not to mention its delicious.

Happy training. :)

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Frodo's probably laughing her head off at the thought of you actually drinking the vile stuff! :D

They were giving out free bottles of it after the Leeds half marathon, and I made the BIG mistake of drinking it. BLEUGHHH!

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I make my own with Nesquik and an extra scoop of protein powder - it's much nicer than the off the shelf ones.

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'll take your word for it! :D

19. LemonSloth

That would make a lot more sense to be fair.

20. Moi

It's better with bits of cake in it :)