Shu's Training Journal (or "Old Man Kung Fu")

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by InkyTommy, Nov 16, 2014.

1. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Solo Training Time!

Kung Fu-lery
    -20 minutes of Staff From

Gym-nanigans
    Full body workout (just this once)

-Bench Press - 135 lbs, 155 lbs, 185 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Lat Pulldown - 155 lbs, 170 lbs, 185 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Curl/Press/Extension - (per arm) - 25 lbs, 30 lbs, 35 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Leg Press - 210 lbs, 225 lbs, 240 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Calf Press - 210 lbs, 225 lbs, 240 lbs (10, 8, 6)

-Heavy Bag - 15 minutes
    • Punch combos
    • Front leg roundhouse
    • rear leg roundhouse
    • Sei Fon Sei Bei combos (from yesterday)

Notes:
    -Still out of it from being sick, so no jumping rope or other crazy stuff
    -Worked a LOT on the mechanics of the kung fu kick versus the muay thai kick. Got it to a point where it doesn't feel super weird anymore. Although the muay Thai kick still feels more natural to me :kick:

2. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Fun class tonight. Sihing Alex is emphasizing conditioning in his classes...which is just what I needed! (see notes below).

We warmed up with a light jog, then ran through techniques non-stop in full gear.

We moved on to some good partner exercises, starting with reflex drills before moving on defense and combo drills.

After that, we sparred for a good solid half-hour (hands only for the first few rounds followed by free sparring until the end).

I noticed the mood was lighter today. And by that I mean not as intense. Everyone got the chance to try out new and different things.

It also gave me a chance to observe how my classmates fight and make some mental notes.

And I made some mental notes on where I should focus to improve my sparring:

1. Conditioning - In muay Thai, we used to warm up with three 3 minutes rounds of skipping rope. Need to bring that back in my Solo Training Routine.
    2. Footwork - This is directly related to conditioning. The more energy I have, the better I can maneuver around my opponent.
    3. Blocking - I still fall back on the basic blocks that intercept or deflect the strike. Our style has a ton of techniques that either turn the defense into an attack or use the block to trap or redirect the opponent. Got to try a few out tonight and they are really effective! Need to practice those more.

3. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Time!

This was probably the smallest class I've ever been to! There were a grand total of eight people there tonight...five students and three instructors.

Guess a lot of people were out for the Memorial Day Weekend. Or they didn't know we were having class.

Almost skipped it myself, but since I'd been a slug all weekend, figured I should probably get out and do something.

We focused on the basics of punching and kicking. Good thing because my kung fu kicks are weak.

Really trying to be conscious of the "correct" motion for the kung fu kick (pivot on the heel, open up the hip, raise the leg, point the knee then snap out the kick).

We were working some roundhouse pad drills and the young instructor kept telling me to kick harder. Finally, I just launched a muay Thai kick at him and moved him back about a foot.

Felt good...but that was cheating (and I admitted it).

Truth is we don't really do a lot of pad drills in class (they save those for Kung Fu II). Eventually, I "graduate" into that class.

But in the meantime, I'm going to practice those kicks every day.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I sympathize. My kicks are not what they should be at my level. They will be THE thing that will hold me back most from getting to my next test. I have been prioritizing them in practice the last few months.

But I fight discouragement as it is just hard facing the fact that I am behind in them. I had injuries that prevented me practicing them. Then, as I recovered, the fact that I was behind had me putting them on the back burner as I didn't want to face it.

Still, the only way to fix that is to keep prioritizing them with practice, practice, and more practice.

5. InkyTommy

Thanks for the commiseration!

When I was training in muay Thai we used to work kicks every class. That meant three, four, sometimes five times a week. Here, there's so much other stuff to learn, kick training gets lost in the shuffle sometimes.

I also injured my left hip during my crazy parkour years (both of them) and never really did much to work them out. Now that injury is coming back to haunt me.

But like all things, practice and persistence can over come!

6. InkyTommy

Solo Training!

Kung Fu-lery

-Balance Drills (One Foot Stance and hold, transitioned to Searching the Sea and hold and then transitioned to Front Leg Extension and hold) - 3/side
    -Roundhouse Kick Drills - A lot/side (lost count after 12)
    -Side Kick Drills - 15/side
    -Weapons Forms
    • Nunchucks - Focus on the "snap" strike of the nunchuck
    • Sabre - Focused on just remembering the darn thing. I think Heraclius put a curse on me...:evil:
    • Staff - Focused on being looser with the staff. As Sihing Derek told me yesterday; "It's a long weapon, let it go and use its reach."

Gym-nannigans - Back and Bicep Day

-Close Grip Pull Ups - 3 x 10
    -Rope Cable Curls - 50 lbs, 60 lbs, 80 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Lat Pull Down - 155 lbs, 170 lbs, 180 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Leg Curls - 70 lbs, 80 lbs, 90 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Leg Extension - 80 lbs, 90 lbs 100 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Jump Rope 3 x 2 min Rounds
    -Heavy Bag - 15 min - Various punch and punch/kick combos

7. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Time!

Last class before Sifu Henry gets back, so Sihing Derek (who is painfully into plyo) ran the class. He did a good job. Did a little bit of everything (except forms).

We did the usual push ups and sit ups and just for fun, we did jumping versions of our usual warm up kicks (I'm telling ya...the kid really likes getting air!).

We worked on the different variations of the side kick (skip kick, steal step kick, jump kick, spinning jump kick) and threw in some pad drills for the basic side kick.

Wrapped it up with some joint lock and Eagle Claw grab drills with a partner.

Notes:
    -As per my promise to myself and the MAP community, I'm did some kicking drills on my own today. Just the basic side kick and rear leg round house with the focus on form not height.
    -After about ten or twelve on each side, the kicks were getting higher and the hips were getting looser (and according to Shakira, they don't lie either).
    -I think this really helped with the kicks in class today.

8. InkyTommy

Solo Training Time

Kung Fu-lery

-Balance Drills (One Foot Stance and hold, transitioned to Searching the Sea and hold and then transitioned to Front Leg Extension and hold) - 3/side
    -Roundhouse Kick Drills - Around 15/side
    -Side Kick Drills - Around 15/side
    -Forms: Open Hand - Focused proper form (low stances, correct hand technique, etc...)
    • Sei Fon Sei Bei
    • Keun Lei Keun
    • Taijin Keun
    • Chong Keun

Gym-nanigans

-Seated Chest Press Machine - 155 lbs, 170 lbs, 180 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Cable Tricep Press - 100 lbs, 120 lbs, 140 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Chest Flies ("Pec Deck") - 100 lbs, 120 lbs, 140 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Tricep Dips - 3 x 10
    -Jump Rope - 3 x 2 min rounds
    -Heavy Bag - Various combos (punches, kicks, evasions...see notes).

Notes:
    -Skipped leg exercises today (aside from the kicking and the jumping roping!). Plus, I figured all I'd give my legs a rest from all the plyo yesterday.
    -There was a young MMA guy in the heavy bag room and we started talking and giving each other tips. He was doing some muay Thai kicks...so I joined in! That was fun!
    -Kung Fu kicks are starting to feel more "natural". So that means I need to do them both so I don't lose the ability to throw either of them.

9. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

This was a great class! Of course, that may be because Sifu's back.

We did our usual stretching warm up, followed by some basic footwork and combo drills.

For partner drills we worked on an attack/defend/counter technique that's very indicative of our style (which involved using the striking hand to block).

During sparring, I sparred one of the students who's pretty even with me in skill and stamina (plus we're two of the older guys in the class). So we were actually putting the technique we learned into practice...and it worked!

The conditioning and kicking drills are also helping. I'm lasting longer and am actually delivering some solid waist level kicks.

Then I sparred Sihings Derek and Kirby...our two best fighters...and got my clock repeatedly cleaned.

But I'm happy to say I got a few good shots in (and I'm pretty sure they weren't "gimmes")!

10. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Time!

Good class. Sifu is back, rested and in full form.

Typical warm up (which was actually a nice change of pace from the last few weeks), with kicking stretches, push ups, sit ups and static stretches.

We drilled some advanced techniques with an emphasis on hand/foot combinations. Seemed to be getting more into the meat of our particular style today.

Afterwards, we broke up into group and the upper belts worked on Staff form.

It'd been so long since we had a "normal" class, this one felt different by comparison!

11. InkyTommy

Solo Training Time!

I was pressed for time today so that left me with a terrible choice: Do I lift or do I Fu?

In the end, I chose to Fu. Maybe I can go lift tomorrow.

Here's how it went down:

-Balance Drills - 3/side
    -Roundhouse Kicks - a whole bunch per side
    • Slow Kicks (while holding the wall)
    • Fast Kicks (while holding the wall)
    • Regular Kicks
    • Kick Stretches
    -Side Kicks - a ton per side
    • Slow Kicks (while holding the wall)
    • Regular Kicks
    • Kick Stretches
    -Staff Form - About 20 minutes (tightening up form, improving speed and precision)
    -Shadow Boxing 2 x 3 min rounds (It was a draw...Shadow won one round. I won the other)
    -Stretches
    • Straddle Split
    • Standing Split
    • Cobra

Notes:
    -That was a good 45 minute workout! Consider it a Macro Micro Workout inspired by the Great Guitar Nado
    -I realize my main problem is that my left leg doesn't "turn over" due to a hip injury from years ago. It's more mental than physical. There's nothing actually preventing the movement...it's just a little stiff and tentative.
    -So I spent a lot of time just working it out, stretching it and getting it used to going through the motions.
    -By the end of the session, the range of motion had improved! So I'm definitely on the right track.

12. InkyTommy

Solo Training: Part Deux - The Soloing

Hit the weights this morning to make up for yesterday. It was back and biceps at Ye Olde Gymme. So here's how it went down:

-Curls (per arm) - 25 lbs, 30 lbs, 35 lbs (10, 8, 6...need to go up in weight)
    -Seated Lat Pull Downs - 140 lbs, 160 lbs, 180 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Supinated Cable Curls - 50 lbs, 60 lbs, 80 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Upright Rows- 110 lbs, 120 lbs, 140 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Leg Press - 210 lbs, 225 lbs, 240 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Calf Press - 210 lbs, 225 lbs, 240 lbs (10, 8, 6)

-Jump Rope - 2 min (just to keep my body used to it).

Kung Fu Time!

The kids class before ours wore Sifu out, so Sihing Kirby warmed us up.

And he forgot this was the Kung Fu I class...so we got a special one-time-only (I hope) preview of Kung Fu II!

We did pretty much every straight kick in our style; front leg roundhouse, rear leg roundhouse, front leg side kick, rear leg side kick, front hook kick, rear hook, shuffle ax kick, front slap kick, push kick.

Then we did our battery of push ups culminating in isometric push ups (hold at the top, go down halfway and hold, go down one inch from the ground and hold. Lather, rinse repeat).

For technique, we drilled spinning kicks and kick combos (spinning side and hook, mostly) and rounded it out with stance walks.

The upper belts worked on Chong Keun and spent some time on the details to make it pretty.

About forty minutes into class, my legs finally got loose and all the soreness went away!

It's back now. :(

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  13. InkyTommy

Solo Training Day!

Stuck at home on conference calls that are literally every hour on the hour.

So I'd dash out between calls and get a little training in (except during lunch where I had a full hour to get to the gym).

One of my colleagues asked why I was always out of breath today. I told him I was just glad to be on the calls.

He didn't buy it.

Anyway, here's the drill:

Kung Fu-lery

-Balance Drills - 4/leg
    -A ton roundhouse kicks - a lot/side
    -Open Hand Forms - Focused on doing them slow with good form
    • Sei Fon Sei Bei
    • Keun Lei Keun
    • Taijin Keun
    • Cong Keun
    - Staff Form - Ran through it a couple of times

Gym Foolery - Chest & Triceps

-Seated Chest Press - 140 lbs, 155 lbs, 180 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Cable Rope Overhead Tricep Press - 100 lbs, 110 lbs, 120 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Chest Flies ("Pec Deck") - 100 lbs, 110 lbs, 140 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Tricep Dips 3 x 10
    -Jump Rope - 3 x 2 min rounds
    -Heavy Bag
    • Roundhouse kicks!
    • Rear leg side kick (a sneaky little move Sihing Derek taught us last night)
    • Rear leg side kick/back fist combos
    • Free combos
    -Stretch Fu
    • Straddle Split
    • Standing Split
    • Cobra

(whew!)

14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Do you ever do backfists in your sparring? I learned it in krotty, but it never came up in any drills/sparring. :/ Kinda pointless if you don't get to play with it, IMHO.

15. InkyTommy

Tried it a few times, but the Black Belt I was sparring at the time suggested I stop.

Me: "Why is tha...[SMACK!!]?"

Black Belt: "A jab is quicker."

In sparring, it's straight punches all the way. Jab, cross hook (or ridge hand if appropriate).

16. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Good class, as always.

Warmed up with the usual static and dynamic stretched and when straight into partner attack/block drills.

Sifu brought back an old favorite he calls "The Bull and the Matador" when one person advances with straight punches and the other person defends. It's a good little warm up before we free spar.

Sparred five people tonight; two people about my level, two people a little below my level and one person (Sihing Kirby) who's well above my level.

Still struggling with how to fight a tall person with longer reach. Really trying to avoid falling back on Muay Thai training where I'd cover up and move in.

I'd close the gap quickly and neutralize his reach, but I'd almost certainly take a hit or two on my guard.

And the First Rule of Kung Fu is: "Don't get hit." (The second, as we all know, is "Do Not Talk about Fight Club")

I asked Sifu for some advice after class and he gave me a few pointers. I'll keep y'all in suspense until next week after I've tried them out.

I also need to work on varying up the move set. While fighting said tall person, I realized I'd used the same opening attacks twice in a row. And when I did it a third time, he was waiting for me. Popped me right in the eye!:mad:

But overall, I'm pretty happy with things tonight. Sifu said my fighting's improved a lot! So that was nice.

Looks like all my extracurricular activities are paying off!

17. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Time!

Standard warm up...push ups (of many varieties), stretching and warm up kicks.

Then we spent a fair bit of time of "Advanced Basic" kicking combos. For example; jab, cross, hook, side kick...jab, hook, straight, rear roundhouse.

Sifu's also been drilling us on the low kicks as well, even though we've been expressly forbidden to use them in sparring (although a few of us still...provided our opponents are okay with it).

And we had some instruction from Sifu on the Staff Form. Those are always fun. We may not learn a bunch of moves, but we learn them well!

18. InkyTommy

Solo Training Time!

Gymnanigans first; Back and Biceps

-Seated Preacher Curls - 50 lbs, 60 lbs, 80 lbs (10, 8, 4)
    -Seated Lat Pull Down - 150 lbs, 160 lbs, 180 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Supinated Rope Cable Curls - 50 lbs, 70 lbs, 80 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Rows - 110 lbs, 120 lbs, 130 lbs
    -Seated Leg Press - 210 lbs, 225 lbs, 240 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Calf Press - 210 lbs, 225 lbs, 240 lbs (10, 8, 6)

Kung Fu-lery

-Staff Form - Ran through it about three times. Pretty comfortable with what I've learned so far.
    -Speed Skaters (see notes) 2 x 2 minute rounds
    -Roundhouse Kicks - a lot/side
    -Supported Kicks (grabbed on to something for support) - many/side
    -Frog Stretch
    -Cobra

Notes:
    -Wasn't able to get jumping rope in so I remembered an old P90X exercise I think Tony Horton called "Speed Skaters"; basically, you jump from side to side, landing on one leg with the other leg and opposite arm raised.
    -The whole purpose of jumping rope for me is to increase my endurance and improve my footwork. These things tired me out more than I expected them to!

19. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Time!

Good class. Sifu let one of the younger Blue Belts lead the warm up (I'll get my shot next time...) He did good...covered most of the basics. Then Sifu had to come in and take over (much to my younger classmate's relief).

Did the usual static stretches, warm up kick and push ups. After that, we went straight into technique.

There were a few new people in the class, so we started off with some basic combinations (horse stance punches, punch/kick/punch, back fist/steal step/side kick, etc...).

Eventually we ramped up the difficulty and went into spinning kicks. I'm happy to report my kicks are improving with the daily practice (though, I don't log 'em every day).

Finally we broke up into our respective belts and did forms until the fire drill happened! There was a gas leak from the place next door, but the firemen arrived pretty quickly and took care of it.

Fortunately, that happened about five minutes before the end of class, so I learned a few new moves of Staff Form :D

20. InkyTommy

Solo Workout Time!

Kung Fu-lery

-Balance Stances - 3/side
    -Dynamic Stretching-Side to Side - 20/leg
    -Dynamic Stretching-Front to Back - 20/leg
    -Roundhouse Kicks - 20/leg
    -Side Kicks - 10/leg
    -Staff Form - 3x

Gynmmanigans - Chest & Triceps

-Bench Press - 135 lbs, 155 lbs, 185 lbs (10, 8, 5)
    -Cable Tricep Press - 110 lbs, 120 lbs 130 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Chest Flies - 100 lbs, 130 lbs, 150 lbs (10, 8, 6)
    -Tricep Dips - 3 x 10

-Jump Rope 3 x 2 min rounds
    -Heavy Bag - 10 minutes
    • Jab/Cross/Kick Combos
    • Punch/Front Leg Side Kick Combos
    • Jab/Cross/Push Kick Combos
    • Switch Kick Combos