A Beginners Perspective....The Grading

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Melanie, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

How many of the long-term Sensei out there remember how important it was to pass your first, second, third grading? How it was so important that you spent weeks just practising one kata. I was asked recently by a friend, to give a lower belt perspective on gradings, to see if it would dredge up any nightmares for the Sensei out there. I was asked to give a brief intro and the feelings I had before and after the grading and this is what I ended up with.

My name is Melanie Box. I am currently 7th Kyu in Shotokan with the Shotokan Karate Organisation. I am based in East Sussex, England and have been training on and off since May 2000 (9 months out due to work related injuries).

I was introduced to this phenomenon called Karate by the man who was to become my Sensei and I have not looked back since. I joined for several reasons as follows:

1. To improve the ratio of muscle from fat!
    2. To improve my general level of breathing/fitness
    3. To defend myself if the unfortunate need arose
    4. And because I was challenged.

I found out quite quickly, I think, that martial arts is about competing with ones self, setting targets and doing your best to reach them. I feel very lucky that I have such a good start in my field (Shotokan) as I have two very competent and respected Sensei (in our organisation) as my teachers. They are both dedicated to Shotokan and are open minded. In this I mean they will look at every interpretation of even the most basic move and challenge it with theories of their own. They frequently say there is no one way to perform this movement and I have seen from the lists/newsgroups that I am involved with that this is backed up by the majority of the Sensei on them.

With this in mind - it makes going for a grading quite interesting! As I am shown several different interpretations, I am then left with the decision on which one I am to follow for the time being. When I have that much more experience under my belt (if you'll pardon the pun) I can then make up my own mind on what bunkai I would like to follow. As an example:

Heian Sandan
    From the Migi Chudan Oi Tzuki to the turn into Ryoken Koshi Gamae
    (Right middle level lunge punch - both fists at both hips)

One Sensei brings his right arm straight back to the hip; the other brings his right arm in front of him and places it on his hip afterwards. Their explanation is: one believes it's a shoulder throw the other a hip throw. I haven't really done this explanation justice as I don't have the correct vocabulary or the advanced insight they have but that is the gist of what I have been able to establish. Apologies to all as I am probably wrong!

I have chosen to perform for my grading the 'hip throw' form as much for the aesthetics as for the explanation.

I have my 6th Kyu grading due very soon and I am feeling quite nervous about it. However, I trust both my Sensei and as they feel I am ready for this grading - I shall make every effort to achieve this for them and myself. I have been practising with them and at home for some time now and I feel I am a bit more consistent now. At my last practice before the grading, I was asked to join 2 black belts and perform a mini team Kata (Sandan) and it was a wonderful feeling on the 5th time when we all seemed to time it together. I realise it was probably due to them slowing down for me but when you move as one it really is a joy.

Well, I've done it and I've passed! Thankfully!

The format the same as before: Warm up - run through some basics, kata, etc on our own and ask any questions for half an hour then on to the test!!

Started with basics:
    This time being tested on combinations, which I have picked up reasonably well but with plenty of room for improvement! Gave us breaks to catch our breath occasionally and helped to focus on the next movement. I was so nervous in Yoi (ready stance), I started shaking - but I don't think they noticed! Made a couple of silly mistakes like losing count (went 4 or 6 steps instead of 5) and forgot to Kiai once!

Kata
    We started in a group and completed each other's kata, then went into levels of grading and completed them either on our own or with the others of the same 'intended' rank. I was on my own! To be honest with you - this was the first time I felt a semblance of confidence in what I was doing. I felt I had gotten into my kata. I completed Heian Nidan first and then Heian Sandan. My fumikomi (stamping kick) (the bane of my training up to date) went right up and smacked down with a resounding thud three times - I was delighted! My final kiai was more out of triumph than anything else.

Kihon Ippon (Kumite)
    I was asked first to be the defender and the remainder of the class lined up to attack me 4 Jodan (upper level), 4 Chudan (middle level), 3 Mae Geri (front kick), 3 Yoko Geri (side kick) and 3 Mawashi Geri (roundhouse kick). I remembered all moves until the 3rd Chudan and lost concentration for a moment - but moved out of the way fortunately. I nodded and my classmate went through the movement again and this time I completed it. I remembered all my kiais and remembered the necessary etiquette.

Freestyle Sparring
    I'll be honest - when I first started Karate this was not something I was looking forward to doing, however, over the past few months I have started to enjoy it (a bit). We first practiced between us and then one of the Sensei joined us and fought with us separately. We had mits and moved around a lot, jabbing, kicking, punching, etc. Really was very enjoyable (especially as I blocked a few!). Once again we all remembered the relevant etiquette but that was probably because we knew we were nearing the end.

Then it was over…

We were asked to stand at the end of the hall and keep warm. We were allowed to talk amongst ourselves as long as we kept it down. I remember saying to one person "I am fairly certain I have failed" but they said "Nah, I took the heat off you a bit by making such a huge mistake myself!" Helpful wasn't it!

Eventually all three judges turned around and asked us to line up. We were then asked to come up individually to the front and get our results. They would give us a brief run through of the mistakes made and the improvements noted and then shake our hands and hopefully give us a belt - this time I was last!

I remember walking up smiling (resignation) and bowing and standing to Yoi. Then they in turn smiled at me and then made the following comments: that my hips were still being a problem (not using them enough, last grading they said I was barely using them at all!) so my kicks were not being pushed out properly. They didn't mention my fumikomi (what a relief, that must mean it wasn't bad?) and were very pleased overall with my kata. They didn't mention the Kihon Ippon (I took that as a good sign to) and said that my attitude to Freestyle Sparring had improved measurably and it seemed that I had enjoyed this particular part this time. They made other comments - the usual - could go faster in your techniques, etc but they eventually did offer me the green belt and a handshake. I was so…what's the word…surprised!

We then spent the last few minutes of the session going through other basics and kata (the next ones) and had a bit of fun. Followed closely by a warm down and a trip down to the pub. Drinks were on the black belts!

Synopsis
    I started very nervous but as we went through it I started to calm down a little - by the end - well we knew the end was in sight and started to relax!

I hope I have given a reasonably clear overview of what my grading was like and you have enjoyed the repartee. I was not sure what you would want to hear about, but I expect comments shall be following in shortly!

Further Comments

Correct spelling and explanations of moves taken from The Shotokan Karate Dictionary (Schlatt; 1996). Very useful book!

Take care and good training.

Melanie

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  2. Anazoth

Anazoth Valued Member

I enjoyed reading your article, thank you for sharing your experience Melanie :)