Combative Hapkido vs. Combat Hapkido...

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by stepdot, Mar 10, 2007.

1. stepdot

stepdot New Member

Is there a difference? I have searched the web several times under the terms of Combative Hapkido but all links brought me back to Grand Master Pellegrini's web sites.

2. JimH

JimH Valued Member

Is there a particular style of Hapkido called "Combative Hapkido" that you are looking for?

All Hapkido is Combative,meaning that it is for Combat,Fighting,Self Preservation,Self Defense.

Now there is a school in Colorado that uses the term "Combative Hapkido",they used to be associated with Combat Hapkido and with Pedro Rodriguez CQDT, I do not know if you are looking for them or just running the term Combative Hapkido to see a result?

3. stepdot

stepdot New Member

No the style wasn't the crux of the inquiry. I thought about joining a martial arts studio where my daughter is begining to take TKD and noticed the subtle difference in the discipline name. I have been involved in TKD for the past 18 years (on and off; 2nd dan) and was curious if there was a different sanctioned style unique to Chon-Tu Kwan and the World Ki-Do federation or was this a home grown program. To be fair to the head instructor, I have left a message with him and do expect to follow up soon. I noticed this anomally when I was investigating the difference between the Hapkido I cross trained with over the years and the core focus of the "Combat Hapkido" discipline.

I have run into other schools over the years which have their own unique patterns, belt systems and dojo tournaments which are not recognized anywhere else but within their walls. (many of which turn out to have monitary goals rather than transformational goals). While I do not think this is the case, I would rather know up front than later as I change jobs and dojo's.

While I do recognize the importance of learning and do not want to discount its value, I did want to engage in a form of self defense that was sanctioned and recognized beyond the 4-walls of the Dojo similar to the WTF and Kukkiwon.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007