bokken kata question

Discussion in 'Aikido Resources' started by Jordan, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

Can anyone send me a clip of a bokken kata I can learn on line :confused:

2. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Try a search in www.youtube.com as they seemto have clips of most stuff.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Why can't you just ask your teacher to teach you the kata you're school uses?

4. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

I have done Aikido for 3 years and jj for 2 and karate for one so I don't have a current dojo for aikido. My aikido dojo closed down about 3 years ago. but the bokken still has a place in my heart, that's why i must learn a new kata. I can't remember the old one! It was a tohei kata.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Huh? With a background like that you would know that you can't learn a kata without a live human partner. Come on now. :rolleyes:

This thread mentions a website with clips.

6. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

I know but I can't do karate and aikido at the same time in a dojo. It's to much money and not enough time or to be dedicated to both is very hard to do. :D

7. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

You could start with cuts to eight directions: 'Happo Undo' - look up in Google.
    However, the most useful bokken work I've done has always been with a partner under the watchful eye of an expert.

Perhaps you might check out any Iaido dojos near you as they would offer an abundance of sword kata.

Your public profile states that you have invented your own style of Aikido - Tomo Aikido . Sorry, but after 3 years? You don't state a grade but as you now have your own style, what does it matter? LOL but you are kidding yourself and wasting our time. :bang: .

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well I don't really approve of learning from a video but, I'll post my 3rd dan grading later on youtube and post a link. As it was a grading I performed the kata fairly slowly.

Now I', off to work :(

[Edit]
    YouTube sucks, videos are limited to 10 minutes. Anyway here's the Jo & Bokken part. I'm not promising it'll be perfect but I'm young and stupid and I'll only be here once so :D have fun :D
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spmedG48WdE"]Jo and Bokken - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  9. aikiMac

Show us the randori part!
    Show us the tanto part!

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

LOL ok I'll load them when I get home. But you'll be dissapointed. I honestly don't think it looks impressive at all.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ok as promissed here's the tanto and randori parts of my 3rd dan grading. The randori part is a free for all so don't expect body parts to go flying. You'll get the idea once you watch it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtQ-NxkjmAw"]Tanto and 8 Man Attack - YouTube[/ame]

12. aikiMac

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Not a problem :)

14. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Who were the chaps in the black gi tops ?

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

They were 5th Dans. They wear black gi for special occasions like courses and gradings.

16. gornex

gornex Valued Member

wow, i don't know anything about aikido, but that was really cool!

17. Dave Humm

Ta mate

18. Dave Humm

Here's a clip of three of my students (ungraded at the time of recording with about eight months worth of training) doing three man juwaza.

==19 meg==

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR1CN_HJpa0"]Kihon Juwaza - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Not bad at all Dave. :)

20. aikiMac

(That was you in the hakama, right?)

I can't do that turning move any better than those white belts and I have more than 8 months training. Ooops!

That was good to see. Wolfie's clip and your clip looks like the aikido at my school. We're learning the same stuff.