No time to practice 2 martial arts at once

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Adam2003, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Adam2003

Adam2003 New Member

Hi I am Adam(13 yrs old), I have been training in a karate like martial art lately, and its amazing, and apparently I have a talent for it or something, got my belt real fast. guess I was just lucky, but thats not why im making this thread.
    I really want to make it to high levels in the fighting sport and its my dream to get in to UFC or something like that.
    but I will really need the ground fighting to but I do not have enough time to practice both jiu jitsu/judo(tell me what one I should choose for MMA please)
    right now, school was going really bad but its getting better now again with hard work. but because of that I have no time to practice both a grappling art and what im doing now, any tips/drills I can do to fall in easy when I start doing a grappling art when I get the time?

Thanks in advance
    - Adam

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you want to do MMA as a sport, you should join an MMA gym. That way you can mix and match striking and grappling sessions around your busy 13 year old schedule. So if you can only do 2 sessions a week, you can go to one striking session and one grappling session. That way you get to do both and you'll have a lot of training partners with the same goals as you.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

How many nights a week can you train?

Why not get yourself to a proper MMA gym and do say (at least one) night of striking and (at least) one of grappling? Most gyms offer different classes to focus on the different areas and then some classes working all ranges/areas.

Or are you training in an MMA gym now?

-------

Ok...Holy obviously doesn't have crippled fingers from getting his knuckles and fingers mashed doing kali!

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You should spend at least 3 to 6 years in your primary MA system training to build up your foundation before you start to "cross train". To start "cross training" without a solid foundation first is not a good idea.

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

If your plan is to compete in MMA, then you should join an MMA school if one is available. Not only will you need skills in various ranges, but you will need someone to coach you on transitioning between those ranges... like an MMA coach can.

If there isn't MMA available, is there some way to cross train, even occasionally? At 13, I am guessing you are in school... does the school offer a wrestling program?

That said, if you are looking at "only" one art to be your base until you can add to it with the goal of fighting in MMA, I would probably suggest wrestling, Judo, of BJJ as the base art to focus on now. Keep in mind, I am not an MMA coach nor competitor so take that with a grain of salt!

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I agree with others here. If MMA competition is your goal, join an MMA gym.

Practice hard and seriously, but continue to make getting good grades your primary goal.

Even most professional MMA fighters need another career to make money in. Have that backup plan so you have your options open to you. Look at your grades as a way to have options open to keep a job that funds you, so you aren't that broke MMA fighter.

Look at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic. He is also a part time firefighter and paramedic.

And welcome to MAP!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

As your 13, keep on with the karate, stay focused on school, and just watch MMA when you can.

If later on, you have time to study BJJ or MMA it will help a lot!

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hello Adam, welcome to MAP!

Everyone else has already given great advice and I agree with them. First and foremost though, school is more important than anything. If you can't find and MMA gym now, then don't worry. Train in what arts you can until then. MMA will always be there but your education is a one time deal so make the most of that.

If you are American you might want to consider joining your schools wrestling team. Wrestling is one of the best bases for MMA.

9. Adam2003

Adam2003 New Member

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I dont live in the US so sadly I cannot join a school wrestling team. I have looked for MMA gyms but there wasnt really anything near me that was good. I will keep up with what im doing now and when I have the time I will start doing wrestling/judo/bjj like alot of you have suggested, thanks for all the help!

10. Pretty In Pink

No problem man! Where (very roughly) do you live. Like a city?

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

What makes you say this?

12. Adam2003

Adam2003 New Member

Because they were all for like 6 to 12 and for one where I could join in I would have to drive half an hour everytime and I dont think my parents have the time for that

I live in holland

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Could you take the bus or train/metro?

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

OP is 13. No need to worry about such a long drive for your parents or taking a bus.

Just focus on your current art. Take it seriously. Don't skip sparring class. Don't skip any practice for things like video games. GSP, Lyoto Machida, Chuck Liddell all started with Karate and they did pretty well for themselves in the UFC.

Again, focus on the good grades. For one thing, a year or two down the road, it will help if you do decide to ask your parents to take you to a school further away. I imagine your parents will support your other goals more if you are getting good grades.:D

15. Pretty In Pink

Holland has lots of excellent kickboxing gyms. Dutch style kickboxing is a league of its own. Good luck OP.

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The Netherlands have pretty strong Judo and Kickboxing communities. I'd be surprised if you had to travel very far to find decent clubs in either.

17. Adam2003

Adam2003 New Member

My parents are definitly supporting me alot already! but I just dont want to put the pressure on them to even drive me that far everytime, because they already did alot for helping me with this.

18. Adam2003

Adam2003 New Member

Yes but im practicing another art right now and I dont have the time to also practice judo right now, when im doing better at school I might be able to!

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Stay with karate for now. The rest will come at the perfect time.
    I used to be 13. My children used to be 13. I 100% totally absolutely understand the desire to want the other stuff right now. I learned from experience, from both myself and my children, that it's okay to wait. It's okay that it's not right now.

Do karate now. Get awesome at it. It will be good. It will be hugely good for you. Learn how to be totally fully awesome at it. :D :D

Later in time, some other year, you'll be able to do the grappling part -- and it will be perfect. The timing will be totally perfect, and I'm being 100% serious. :D

20. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I like what the others have said^^ I would only add that if your dojo doesn't have much sparring and bunkai pick another dojo! I don't think Machida, et al spent their time doing a bunch of kata. :D ;)