football violence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by marlow, Jun 12, 2016.

1. marlow

marlow New Member

Hi, I regged to this forum (as I couldn't find many others that seemed to be that active, to the UK folk in here, I remember the Geoff Thompson forum of years ago which had all the right people in there to talk about this kinda stuff, if anyone can point to a forum they might be on I'd be grateful) to ask some stuff about the football thuggery that is clearly miles out of the French police's control at the moment, seemingly mostly involving England fans.

I'm not after any moral crap about what we shouldn't be doing in life, thuggery is bad, don't break the law and all that, I'm purely after some POV's on how you believe you would fair in this type of situation. And, infact, plenty of innocents get involved where fighting to survive is actually the only option (just to defend the morality side briefly there lol).

I've been watching all the clips rolling in on youtube, and it's mostly drunk brits thinking they're Bruce Lee after 2 pints getting completely trounced by what seems to be pretty organised SOBER Russians, and so forth. As I watch these clips, watching people who can't throw a punch to save their life (usually us Brits), and the general melee, with sucker kicks and punches coming from all angles (if u manage to see the little one on ones that are happening around the screen), and I think to myself, how would a professional/skilled fighter fair in all of this? And what do you think would be the best approach?

I often resign myself to thinking, it's such a damn mess that even Bruce himself wouldn't stand a chance (again no opinions on him, just an example name for argument's sake), but what do any of you RSBD/MMA/possibly real street fighting dudes think?

A really common scene you see is one guy bent over forward 90 degrees with his tshirt being held by the aggressor ice hockey style, and raining in upper cuts while the defender does aboslutely nothing at all, surely there's a way out of this? When I see this particular scene I always think "GO FOR HIS NUTS MAN U CAN VIRTUALLY BITE THEM OFF AT THAT DISTANCE!" But knowing that there's next to zero actual logical thinking time in such scrapping, no one ever seems to do this.

Would anyone care to discuss how you think you might fair and what you best course of action would be? (please no "run away be a good boy, that's naughty" type stuff).

I suppose ultimately it's just another multiple opponent type duscussion, but with a bit of a twist. One thing you never see from any of these thugs is head movement of which you would see from a boxer. Do you think you could deploy good boxing skills to slip incoming punches, counter, then run onto the next one?

Do you think a team of RSB/MMA boys practising in the gym every day could, in an organised battleground fashion with strategy, totally destroy your average bunch of football thugs? lol sounds terrible, but must be some of you interested in talking about it and leaving the moral/law side of it in the bin for now.

disclaimer: btw no I'm not a thug, I'm a typical (edit) keyboard warrior who dreams of actually hitting a bag some day (aged 38 still never even got that far). I just find this type of thing jolly interesting and there's not many years left before the entire world is gonna be one massive Mad Max style free for all; that, you can betchya bottom $ on!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I'm too tired to make a thoughtful post right now but football violence actually really annoys me and I dislike 'the game' because of it. Hopefully this thread will get plenty of replies.

:simon::mitch:

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I really wouldn't be there. It's not my scene. Very few things in life can get me to put my hands on another person. Unless I was actually being hit I really wouldn't get involved.

As to your question about "would trained people do better at fightjng" my answer is yes. Obviously.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP marlow. :)

Mod note- Please be aware that MAP is a family friendly environment. We ask that you do not use profanity (or even masked profanity) in your posts. You can find our Terms of Service in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Most people on this forum are intelligent, law abiding people so, "Run away and don't get into fights," is going to be the most common answer you're going to get. And it's a sound, logical option. But your post sounds like you're only interested in delusional options that do nothing except further promote violence.

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I hate football and I hate the vocal minority (I'm hoping) that cause nothing but grief.

I remember one tournament, I'm not sure which one, but the one that was played in Japan, where I was greeted by drunken yobs in the streets but cries of "chink" (original) and "dirty yellow monkey" (actually fairly original). I took exception to this, at which they graciously offered to drag me into an alley to beat me. I suggested that they do it out in the open, at which it kinda fizzled out.

Another time, I was confronted by two youths who were, apparently, looking for rival fans to attack. They shouted at me, asking which team I supported, told them I didn't like football. One of them told me that I was "very lucky", his pal suggested they should hit me anyway. I laughed heartily, as, well, they would have hit with all the strength of wet ramen noodles blowing in a light summer breeze.

However, my absolute favourite was when my school was invited to do the lion dance at the halfway point of a Newcastle - Liverpool match. When we came off. We were treated to the usual cries of "chinks" and "give us some dragon spirit", despite the fact it was obviously a lion. Anyway, some yob singled me out for them not being able to watch any football AT HALF TIME and let loose with a barrage of swears. I, of course, had to retaliate, and was led away by stewards...

I hate football...

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Seriously just covering up and getting out of there is the only real option. It's a zero sum game.

8. ned

ned Valued Member

Plus , not a good idea to go out and get blind drunk when Russian ultras and French riot police are out hunting English skulls to crack , unconcerned whether your're a willing participant in street violence or an innocent bystander minding your own business.

Pity since it detracts from what was the best , most watchable England performance I can remember in a long time .

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How many innocent people do you think got caught by the french riot police and Russians, vs how many wannabe hooligans crying foul once they got the kicking they deserved?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think the majority were innocent. I also think that if you're having a peaceful drink in a bar and 30 Russians come in and start throwing chairs, bottles and fists, you don't become a hooligan simply because you refused to stand there and take it.

11. Dead_pool

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Be8qIewyJE[/ame]

So are you saying french police incited the english "fans" to attack them?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  12. holyheadjch

I'm saying that there's been repeated cases of English fans being searched out by Russian and French Ultras.

13. Dead_pool

Whereas our hooligans are British and thus are polite and would never do that abroad. .....
    even if its their riot police their fighting, its obviously the french polices fault.....

Q) what do you call an english hooligan who's lost a fight?
    A) a innocent fan who was picked on by johnny foreigner. ....

14. holyheadjch

This has been very well covered in the media.

There are British hooligans out there, but not many, because the UK Police have become very good at identifying them and banning them - they're the few throwing bottles at the police. But the majority of the fans in Marseilles were innocent bystanders who were attacked by French and Russian fans who were looking for trouble.

Look at the trouble in the Stadium - it wasn't British fans crossing the barriers and attacking the Russians. And the vast majority of British fans didn't engage with the Russians - they fled.

15. Dead_pool

I'd be wary of taking uk reporting too seriously, RT has covered it as all the english fans fault.

Im sure their plenty of people at fault of all nationalitys.

16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

UEFA are only talking about disciplining Russia , at the moment for what it's worth.

17. holyheadjch

Are you seriously comparing RT to the BBC and the Times?

18. Dead_pool

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I can only say this. If I was in any self defense situation where avoiding or running away from the situation is not an option, I can't predict how I would do. And I don't think many educated MAist's would be able to predict this either.

Too many variables for anyone to predict. What is the layout of the crowd? The positions? Who has weapons? Who is slowed down by alcohol consumption? Who is insensitive to pain compliance by other durgs? What is the size of the various opponents? Experienced MAists know that all these factors play a part in the potential outcome.

I can say I would have better chances than I did before I started training MA's. And better chances the longer I study and the more I learn. But would it be enough?:dunno:

20. Dead_pool

Im saying national bias is always a constant.
    Even if the depth of bias is different.

especially if you compare channel 5, the sun, the daily sport and RT.