Intense little zombie killer!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by aikiMac, Apr 11, 2016.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:happy: Twirling swords is not really my thing, but WOW, I like this girl's intensity! If there's a zombie apocalypse I want her in my camp! Just skip to 1:35 - 1:45 and you'll see what I'm saying! OMG! :eek:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-QPb_014AE"]Девочка Ñ ÐºÐ°Ñ‚Ð°Ð½Ð¾Ð¹ - YouTube[/ame]

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Listen, the girl obviously trains hard, so I respect her.

But I am not a fan of that video. I find the calls overblown and too long- especially the part you like. We are taught that calls shouldn't be too long. And I am must admit that I am not a fan of other things in that video. Call it the style of performance art with little practicality - all the twirling and showing your back to the opponent so many times. Very acrobatic modern day Wushu-ish (I know it isn't Chinese, but that is what it reminds me of.) Not my cup of tea. It is a good acrobatic performance, as a MA performance- sorry - not a fan. Wasn't impressed by the series of kicks at 1:01 either.

I would be curious what the Japanese sword stylists think of the form- again- NOT knocking the kid. I heard a lot of criticisms of the actual sword play from MAists on Facebook, but I don't know enough about Japanese sword arts to comment.

I like this one a lot more, not so flashy, so it didn't go as viral on Facebook like the sword one did. But this has more of what I like in seeing a martial arts form.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65QCHZDXKmA"]7 Year Old Girl Karate Master | Incredible Kankudai Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  3. aikiMac

LOL! :D Ya, for martial arts purity, that karate girl is 100 times better, you're right, though she totally does not look 7 years old. Her stances are too good. But that sort of movement is what I seek out for my own study, too, actually (just not karate specifically).

For movie-fu, though, or even stage acting ... well, I imagine to myself the sword girl is shouting, "There can be only one!" :D

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

And yet, the twirly screaming dramatics get one girl way more attention on the Internet, and guest TV shows and all. It irritates me that flash over substance wins the popularity contest.

Again, not the sword girl's fault. And I want to reiterate I am NOT knocking her as she obviously puts many hours into her craft.

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

It always has. It's the same in the music biz... people hear with their eyes.

Your sentiment encapsulates what I hate about this stuff. I'd rather see Sassen (two steps and a thrust) done with good form than a bunch of decidedly un-martial nonsense.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

A good Sassen is a thing of beauty.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ah, that's Jessie Jane McParland. Sweetest little girl from Ireland but trains and performs like a monster. Very successful on the creative forms circuit.

8. Dean Winchester

Little girl gives it her all. You see loads of JSA folks getting bent out of shape over it, for God sake get over it she's a kid having fun doing XMA.

No it's not sword, it's hardly martial but she probably puts in as much effort and dedication as any other student of more traditional arts.

As an aside though I do wish one of her team would look up how to wear a hakama.

9. Dean Winchester

I'm no longer a JSA guy but I will stick my oar in.

What she does bears no resemblance to Japanese sword arts but then it's not supposed to be.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think 5 minutes of bowing and adjusting your clothing wouldn't make for a great display ;)

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Personally I just find it really grating; especially all the screaming and militaristic shouting before the 'kata' begins. Each to their own though. I probably would have thought it was awesome when I was a 6yr old too.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I hate these type of forms - dancing with a weapon and rewarding sizzle instead of steak

Mind you the empty hand versions are not much better

13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Both gave me a headache with their kiai-ing.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I heard and seen worse....sadly!

15. ned

ned Valued Member

Hey aiki , here's another zombie killer for your crew :p

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhtchNSxNFg"]Kung Fu - Double Broadsword - YouTube[/ame]

(Edit ; yeh I know you can't kill the undead , but you get my drift ! )

16. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Every time someone posts up these wushu or XMA videos I'm just sitting here like...

[​IMG]

17. ned

ned Valued Member

Yeah well , I know what you mean but they're still more realistic than most WC videos ! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  18. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Don't even get me started :bang:

19. aikiMac

Naw, he didn't have any death scream. No points for him. :evil:

I watched that sword girl's ending again. Wow, that scream gives me chills in the spine. I'm thinking if she punched a boy, it'd hurt. She'd make him cry. I don't like her form of swordplay, but I love her attitude on the mat. :evil:

20. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I'm not saying there's no place for some flashy sword work, but it can certainly still be martial. This is also nothing new in sword arts (translation from ARMA):

"Many Masters of play fighting [Leychmeistere]
    say that they themselves have thought out
    a new art of fencing that they improve from
    day to day. But I would like to see one who
    could think up a fencing move or a strike
    which does not come from Liechtenauer’s
    art. Often they want to alter or give a new
    name to a technique, all out of their own
    heads and think up wide reaching fencing
    and parries and often make two or three
    strikes when one would be enough or stepping
    through and thrust, and for this they
    receive praise from the ignorant. With
    their bad parries and wide fencing they
    try to look dangerous with wide and long
    strikes that are slow and with these they
    perform strikesthat miss and create openings in themselves.

They have no proper reach in their
    fencing and that belongs not to real fencing
    but only to school fencing and the exercises
    for their own sake."

-HS 3227a, ca. 1389

In this same manual is such a flourish:

"If you wish to fight someone in school fencing
    [Schulfechten] or for play [Schimpf]
    and wish to be courteous, and then place
    your sword a bit in front of you. Then move
    into the barrier guard [Schrankhute] on
    both sides and try to find openings on both
    sides with good footwork. Then come into
    the lower hanging [Uenderhengen], do this
    also on both sides with proper footwork.
    Then you should do the upper hanging
    [Oeberhengen ] on both sides with good
    footwork. Then do the cross strike [Thwer
    hewe] on both sides, and again with good
    footwork. You should always step at the
    same time when you move the play of the
    sword to one side. If you move to the left
    side, then set the right foot forward, and
    the opposite on the other side. And if you
    do this as you approach him, then you are
    doing in play what is good in earnest.
    "

Note the last line where I bolded it, and how many times it says "footwork".

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016