How to improve my martial arts skills?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

Hi!

I'm not a newbie to martial arts. I've been training in some kind of MMA (Yoseikan Budo, Karate, Aikido, Aikijujitsu and Iaijutsu) for quite some years. Well, I'm quite good at assimilating and retaining katas but I'm real lame in fighting.

The last time I fought was when I did my exams since the first week of December 2015 where fortunately I was awarded with orange belt. However, I realise that I need to upgrade my skills or else I'll see that some newcomers might catch up with me very fast.

Is there any way I can learn any suitable martial arts or combat sports to improve my skills? I don't mean to win any competition but just to be good at fighting.

2. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

This is going to sound a touch glib, but if you want to get good at fighting, that is what you should be training. Doing kata/forms won't improve your sparring ability.

I would ask your instructor if you can do extra sparring sessions. No point in telling you to do BJJ if Yoseikan sparring prohibits half the BJJ moves you learn.

3. Sarute Uchizaki

yeah...but I want to learn other martial arts which can enhance my fighting skills

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

One striking art + one grappling art. Combat sport emphasis is preferable. Boxing + Judo, Muay Thai + Wrestling, Take your pick, mix and match.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

When you say "years" what do you mean? Orange belt is a very junior rank

6. Sarute Uchizaki

It might be a junior rank, but it depend on the dojo system. As for mine, the system is very hard and old school. So, when someone gets an orange belt, he can be considered to be a middle level rank in my dojo.

7. Hannibal

So how long have you been training?

8. Sarute Uchizaki

Well, I began training for about 6-7 years but I was not a regular practitioner as I had other commitments.

9. Hannibal

Right there is the answer to your problem - commit more, get better

You don't HAVE to commit of course, but if you are not getting results the first thing to look at is how you actually train...especially in the more traditional systems where effectiveness is less of a concern

10. Sarute Uchizaki

yeah.....probably. but I realise that I have to learn other combat sports to improve my fighting skills. According to you, which combat sports can you recommend me apart from boxing?

11. Hannibal

Muay thai, Wrestling, Judo, BJJ.....anything that has a proven pedigree against a live, resisting opponent

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Sounds like your looking for shortcuts, its good to do extra training,but if you can't commit to your current style now, how well are you going to commit to a more demanding style.

13. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Wrestling. If you can handle it. Karate if you can commit. Boxing if you are not afraid to get hit. Bjj if you want bragging rights. Judo if you can handle being man handled.

Like Hannibal said you need to commit. You can train 1 year in all the mentioned styles for a combined 5 years. You will not be as good as a person who trained 2years in one.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Does your dojo not offer sparring regularly?
    Yoseikan seems to be sparring heavy normally.

15. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

This is a great question. Don't discount asking this yourself.

If you want to get better at fighting / sparring, do more of that. If you cant get the hours in at your current dojo, how would a different dojo help?

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

not sure if those "arts" falls into mma.

17. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

Maybe he double tapped his M key :evil:

18. Sarute Uchizaki

The dojo where I train does not have fix classes. On 1 week I'm training in karate while the next week I might be training in Iaijutsu. So, I don't have the chance for sparring regularly.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What system of iai do you study?

20. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

You should find a Thai boxing gym if you want to learn how to fight. But if you don't like getting punched and kicked then BJJ is a good option as you can also train/spar as hard as you like with out getting punched in the face.