1. The belt system for Nishio Aikido 2. Nishio Aikido versus other styles of Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Greetings!, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Greetings everyone!

Greatly enjoying my beginning Aikido classes, as a newbie to aikido, I understand that there are different styles of aikido. My previous background in the martial arts before beginning to do Aikido about 5 months ago is judo, which I studied for many years, several years ago, while still in my youth.

The grading system within judo, that is, the system in order to show the progression for a student, is, I believe I recall, white belt, to yellow belt, to orange, to green, to blue, to purple/brown, to finally black belt. Thus, the color of the belts becomes darker as the student progresses. Then, within black belt there are 10 different degrees of black belt.

My understanding that the grading system within Aikido is similar to judo regarding belt color.

I understand that one of the styles of Aikido, among apparently many different styles of Aikido, is “Nishio Aikido”.

I have two questions, please. :)

1. I heard something regarding this particular form of aikido, albeit Nishio Aikido, but I can’t recall exactly from where, that the only grading system for Nishio Aikido, per say, is from white belt directly to black belt. Of course, I would reasonably infer that this doesn’t mean that a student goes directly from white to black overnight, but, rather, after serving within the capacity of white belt for, say, 3 to 6 years or so, and showing that required amount of competence, I would imagine that finally at that point that he/she is then suddenly promoted to black belt. Is this true for Nishio Aikido? That is, the grading system for Nishio Aikido is from white belt directly to black belt? Rather, there are no other color belts, other than white or black, within Nishio Aikido?

2. How does Nishio Aikido compare to other Aikido styles, such as, for instance, differences, as well as similarities, the techniques, other characteristics, etc.?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

2. Chris Li

Chris Li Valued Member

Shoji Nishio was a member of the Aikikai and most of the schools that still teach in his "style" of teaching are still members of the Aikikai, so they follow (more or less) the Aikikai guidelines. Most of the Aikikai just uses white for kyu ranks and black for dan ranks, but some places use colors for the kyu ranks - there's really no hard rule.

FWIW, the colored belts themselves (in Judo and elsewhere) were actually invented in Europe, not Japan.

Best,

Chris

3. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Dear Christopher,

I greatly appreciate you informatively responding to my first question within my post, that being, 1. The belt system for Nishio Aikido.

Since I had never received any responses until now, I was considering to re-post this thread by including only my first question, and to exclude the second question, that being, 2. Nishio Aikido versus other styles of Aikido. I realized and could appreciate that it might be somewhat difficult to articulate the differences between different Aikido styles and therefore that that was possibly inhibiting individuals from responding to me.

Therefore, I am satisfied with someone, that being yourself, kindly informing me as to my first question only, that being the belt grading system for Nishio Aikido.

If I could just ask you further, please, you mentioned the following.:

Most of the Aikikai just uses white for kyu ranks and black for dan ranks, but some places use colors for the kyu ranks - there's really no hard rule.

FWIW, the colored belts themselves (in Judo and elsewhere) were actually invented in Europe, not Japan.

In the above where you say, “Most of the Aikikai just uses white for kyu ranks”, if I understand you correctly, some schools have their students (who are not yet black belts) still continue to wear their white belt, even though they have been promoted, however, it is understood that one particular student is, for instance, say, a 4th kyu, and another student is, say, a 2nd kyu, etc. Is this correct? That is, these students continue to not wear that particular colored belt that they actually are until they have achieved black belt, and then they begin to wear black belt?

BTW, I went to the link that you provide within your signature block for your Aikido school, albeit, Aikido Sangenkai, which is apparently located in beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii – Oahu. I love your school's great, very professional website. The pictures and description of your Aikido school purvey that it’s a wonderful school for learning Aikido.

Again, thank you very much for everything, Christopher!

All the best to you,

Greetings!

4. csoby

csoby Valued Member

In the Aikido School I attend, (US Aikido Federation School, which to my understand is aligned to the Aikikai), we white belts for 6th kyu through 1st kyu. After being promoted to black belt, you begin to wear a hakima. We line up together by rank mostly (not strict about it though). In class, we all work on the same techniques, they just expect more out of the higher ranks.

Clay
    Aikido beginner (5th kyu)

5. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

You still have to wear an obi of some type to hold the hakama up.

Schools range their kyu ranks beginning from 10th to 6th kyu on up to 1st kyu - most aikido schools I've seen don't start at 10th kyu though. Yoshinkan do, and my group just added a few more kyu rank to spread load the requirements a little more evenly throughout the kyu rank structure....actually mostly just to spread weapons stuff around a little more and get student's exposure to them earlier.

The color of the belt doesn't matter - a 5th kyu is a 5th kyu regardless of what color belt he wears. Of course the quality of a 5th kyu varies greatly based on the school and teacher. In reality kyu ranks don't matter at all - they can be structured to develop students in any number of ways. Once a student gets to black belt they are considered serious students of aikido and begin their process of learning the art. Generally by that time the student should have a reasonable command of all the basics, some advanced techniques, and be able to explain how and why function mechanically.

6. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

It's not so much that we don't wear "that particular colored belt" for a rank, as it is there is no color connected to the rank. You have the rank regardless of any particular color that may be attached to it. In most Aikikai schools (my former school included), the color for each rank is "white." I always figured it was sort of a humility thing.

7. Chris Li

Chris Li Valued Member

That's right, there are no set colors for the kyu ranks, and the Aikikai doesn't particularly object if an affiliated dojo chooses to use colored belts. The Aikikai is a very large and diverse organization, and one will find a lot of variation in how individual groups run things.

You may be interested in this interview with Shoji Nishio.

Best,

Chris

8. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Dear csoby, afhuss, armanox,

Thank you very much for your responses.

Chris Li,

I greatly appreciate you contributing once more as well. Thank you very much for providing the link to the interview with Shoji Nishio.

Everyone, I have already nicely received the necessary information that I was looking for regarding this thread. However, certainly, please feel free, of course, to continue this interesting discussion if you like.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

9. BklynJames

BklynJames Kung Fu New Jack

Ok so most traditional Aikido schools will have 6 thru 1kyu as being white belts. Other schools to make it more enticing to others will have the colored belts. Nothing wrong with it its just how people would bring their new students into their school. But I wouldnt worry about rank just get on the mat and train. You will have a decent amount of stuff to learn. Aikido on average will take you 6+ years to get dan rank from a reputable school. Now, when picking out a school when you move will be the most tricky part. As there are Aikido schools that vary in experience and interpretation of Aikido. Some schools treat it as more of a dance than a Budo/Martial art. So going to see as many local Aikido schools as possible will really help. And even asking them for a few classes to see how they feel and how they help you progress. Dont worry about the style as much because if its all thru the Aikikai its basically ranked thru one place, and you will be able to take your rank with you. Regardless if its Iwama(not Iwama Shinshin Aiki Shuren Kai) USAF, or any of the others. I travel for work often and when I travel I usually stop by the local Aikido dojo and pay a mat fee to train, and only once have I had an issue out of fifty + times. Aikido is a wonderful art and its something you can practice for a long time well into your later life. We have a decent amount of people in our dojo over the age of 60 and my teacher will be 78 this year. These "Students" over the age of 60 run me ragged and im in pretty good shape. Sorry for the rant but I hope this helps you...