How effective does Hapkido ,other martial arts like ‪Aikido‬,Judo work on big person

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Bubble99, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

Aikido use striking, joint locks,flipping, throwing techniques joint manipulating. Hapkido is similar to Aikido a bit more throwing techniques and striking and kicking techniques similar to ‪Taekwondo‬.

Some of these flipping and throwing techniques may look awesome but I wonder how it would work on big person.

Checking some youtube videos and looking a pictures people are small not fat, really fat, big, bodybuilder, biker or big like a bouncer.

So how can small skinny guy or small skinny girl weighs like a feather do these moves on big person.When they are like 60,100 or 150 pounds more!!

short clip on youtube on some of Hapkido moves.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrWCYk6_4cg"]2008 World Hapkido Championship-Lee Chang Soo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiRWqm6DKI"]Hapkido Extremo - YouTube[/ame]

I read it takes 10 to 15 years to you really get good at these moves.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

So, you asked about judo, and I know, you didn't ask about BJJ, but the two share a lot of overlap.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA3M8RbVUt0&spfreload=10"]Xande RIBEIRO vs Marcelo GARCIA - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVju68pMQ9Y&spfreload=10"]Marcelo Garcia VS Andrei Arlovski - YouTube[/ame]

The root of it is that you are using mechanical efficiency to pit your strongest muscles against your opponent's weakest. I think 10-15 year is a bit of an exaggeration. The first time I tapped out someone whom I was like "HOLY JEEZ THAT'S A BIG FELLA" was a year or two into my BJJ journey, but that guy had absolutely no training whatsoever.

Your ability to utilize your grappling and joint lock skills against a larger opponent is a function of the relative difference in your skill level as well as the relative difference in weight/muscle. The more muscle or weight he has, the more skill you're going to need to beat it. I'd even say that there's a power relationship in there, such that as he adds more weight, you need exponentially more skill.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Get bigger?

4. Moi

Need to know whether the OP is enquiring about male or female. They're made differently so I've been told

5. philosoraptor

"Boy, girl, you are a [grappler] that is all."

6. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

Does not better male or female. It only becomes problem with obesity and so many Americans that are big.

There is very little grappling in Hapkido.

7. Moi

I think if female then it's BJJ! You get the £200 if you pass go as well

8. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

If that is the case than Hapkido and others like ‪Aikido‬ and Judo with not work well in North America.

And anyone of those smaller Asian in those youtube video I posted above would no work in north America with American weight and muscle zoo among people.Where Asians more less the same.

9. Moi

Eat lots, lift weight & do MMA then :)

10. Moi

If you're still female then BJJ and believe

11. philosoraptor

MMA makes you change sex?

12. Moi

Women's self defense is very different from men. How many men require self defense skills to use against their partner?

Punching when you weigh nothing doesn't necessarily work

13. philosoraptor

It was a joke about "If you're still female…"

14. Moi

If it's any help I did check :)

15. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

So why do females take up martial arts if they will get beet up being smaller or really skinny. And Hapkido and others like ‪Aikido‬ and Judo will only work if you closer to same weight.

But you right I have not seen skinny martial arts do moves on people 60,100 or 150 pounds more. Like in those two youtube videos I posted.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for posting. that particular fight, marcelo versus xande, is maybe my favorite submission wrestling match of all time. highlights for me are how marcelo fights off the mount attempt, then reverses the position to get on top of xande with his head in the chest, then the slow almost anaconda-like way he gets the choke on, until xande taps. a true classic.

the simple fact of the matter is if one doesn't train correctly, nobody--big, small, in-between, man, woman--is going to learn how to actually handle themselves in a real situation.

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Demonstrations always "ham up" the movements and stunts to make them look even more impressive. It's a very good form of advertising for people who usually have no experience with martial arts.

In reality, the techniques almost never look that pretty and certainly are not that dramatic. The falls are usually done to reduce the risk of injury from some techniques, though the risk you get is you can get partners who will flip at the lightest touch or the drop of a hat. Those partners often end up allowing the person performing the technique to think they are better than they actually are.

The beauty of pretty much any good technique is that it can feel very effective to be on the end of while feeling "effortless" to perform. It never hurts to be strong but good technique often doesn't require massive amounts of strength to perform.

Whether or not your techniques will work though is a different matter and a lot of it is dependent on the partners you train with. Not all partners are equal and not all are as honest as they should be IMO.

10 - 15 years is an exaggeration on how long it takes to "become good", but it is fair to say with arts like Aikido that it can take a long time to develop any kind of skill. Even then, it's really not that simple. How you train and the people you train with make a massive difference.

Does that help?

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Sometimes they believe it will help them develop good fighting skills (not always the case), some people do it for a hobby, some like to get fight, some just want to try something new.

Not everyone takes up martial arts to learn to fight.

19. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

I'd say given a choice HKD,judo, or aikido? Judo is the best place to start. HKD and aikido tend to heavily focus on wrist locks and wrist grab defense at the beginning levels. Even at the higher levels wrist locks are heavy in the syllabus. The problem is It's very difficult to stop a fully resisting attacker with a wrist lock. There may be practality for cops or bouncers who deal with semi resisting offenders who they can't throw on the ground. But I think for the average person you'll want a solid base in an art that teaches you how to control an aggressive person. HKD and aikido can be used as a supplement once you have a solid base training with and controlling resisting partners. Of course if you're not concerned with applicability immediately train what you like :) as for how effective these arts are? Controlling someone bigger than you by the wrist is not a good strategy. Of course aikido and HKD cover more than wrist locks, but in my experience the majority of clubs spend a lot of time on them, especially at the beginning level. Wrist locks are really an advanced approach to controlling a person.

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Sd is always striking, clinch and ground. A gap in your skill set is a gap in your skillset, and any BJJ black belt who cant survive in an mma situation I. A poor reflection on their teacher.