Endurance training ideas?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by furinkazan, Nov 13, 2014.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

So my current routine is this:

Monday - Lifting (Deadlift, Sqauts, Pull ups)
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - Hung Gar (2 hours includes circuit training)
    Thursday - Lift (Curls, Overhead Press, Bench)
    Friday - Bujinkan (1 and a half hours)
    Saturday - Free
    Sunday - Capoiera (2 hours, quite cardio intensive)

I'm asthmatic, and considering upping the cardio. I'm not a massive fan of running in winter though because thats what brings it out worst in me. I was considering swimming. Sound good?

Alternatively the gym I'm at now has a jacobs ladder, which is quite the burn in itself. Which would probably be better?

2. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Jacobs ladder and swimming can both be great cardio workouts I'm sure. Me personally I would just the the old skipping rope out. 15-20mins of intense skipping each day will be great cardio and a great footwork exercise, nimble footwork is a great attribute for a fighter of any style.

Depends on how good you are at skipping and how much you enjoy it but it's a great way to get your cardio up can be done near enough anywhere and helps develop footwork, what more can you ask for?

3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My wife calls Jacobs ladder Jill. Because I was on it so much for a while. 45 min at a pop 3 days a week. I noticed I was less fatigued using Jacob over skipping rope, but the cardio burn was defiantly there!

4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I would suggest an exorcize bike and a jump rope, ride bike ten minutes jump rope for two minutes, keep doing this for up to fortyfive minutes or longer if you wish. Can be done at home or gym if it isnt martial arts enough for you try this.
    Shadow box two min
    station bike 10 min
    jump rope two minutes
    station bike ten minutes.
    shadowbox two min

Do this afeter light warm up throw some core exorcize into the cycle if you prefer, if you have no place to jump rope then throw kicks or do side leg raises.

5. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Is it just running outside you have an issue with? Running up and down a flight of stairs or just doing very rapid step ups onto one step can be good although up and down obviously be careful!

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd second this. Running up stairs is great for endurance, but can be a bit dodgy coming back down when your legs start to get really tired.

But if running outside in winter isn't an option, then it might be the best substitute.

7. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Slide down the banister?

8. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

I became too used to my old cardio endurance routine. My new one is really simple but a real ass kicker.

20 burpees
    Run in place - fast pace 30 sec
    Repeat
    Repeat
    Repeat
    Die

9. Rafaelskelp

Rafaelskelp New Member

Endurance training ideas

I am trying to get my legs and cardio to its best for trails like Hamilton. Do you guys have any tips for training both endurance and power? Do you train daily?

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

kettlebells ? :D

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

But seriously, body weight exercise would be good too.
    Dumbells, barbells, sprinting, jumping. A mix of stuff.

But then it's not really my area of expertise..

The cheesy grin is down to the recent thread here on kettlebells.
    check it out as well as other threads on the H&F section.

Good luck!

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Sprinting up hills would be a good one for a power/endurence combination I think. My coach mentioned it as something he used to prepare for fights.