Matt Fiddes - Self Defence in Schools

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Aegis, Oct 21, 2016.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Maybe someone should start a petition against letting him teach SD in schools.

I mean, this stuff is hopeless if you're a strong adult, let alone a little kid:

[​IMG]

Yeah, she's just going to knock his arms right away :rolleyes:

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Don't put your Monet in the washing machine! :eek:

Seriously though, money laundering is done quietly in ways that will bring the least attention. All he's doing is pretending to have a much more successful business than he really does to attract more business. There's nothing really wrong with that, and I think there are enough flaws in both his theory and practice of kids SD to worry about if he may be a bit of a showboat to boot.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He has in the past made much of his associations with Michael Jackson (someone, if I was teaching kids, I'd want to distance myself from) and Uri Geller (well know charlatan).
    As my mum would say...that Matt Fiddes "has two bob on himself".
    He's clearly in it for himself. It's like a cult of personality.

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

That's the impression(ist) I got.

5. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

I've just made the mistake of watching the whole video - what the hell is going on from 3 minutes onwards?

I'm not brilliant but that makes me look competent.

It's horrible - I'm never going to get that time back. It's like be killed by tiny knives. There's no defense for that.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Dude got his black belt out of a box of Coco Pops, swear to god.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Coco pops? that's a quality product

His was Happy Shopper Chocolate Flavored Rice

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

He's no oil painting.

9. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

In his defense, those were some solid interpretive dance moves towards the end.
    I have to say though, his legs had such a high level of the jitters that it was kind of stressing me out to watch.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I was thinking the same. In the USA, for "self-defense" there's football (our version) at probably every single high school in the country, and there's wrestling at a great many high schools. I know that football =/= martial art, but as a practical matter, if you're on the team the odds of getting picked on quickly drop to nil.

And also -- drum roll -- didn't Chuck Norris (yes, Chuck Norris) start a karate program in a lot of U.S. elementary schools? Does anyone know if it's still going on anywhere? It sadly never made it to the schools near me. :cry:

Edit:
    I looked it up. The Chuck Norris school program is still only in Texas. :cry:
    http://www.kickstartkids.org/about-ksk/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

shouting fire = good

everything else = dead/molested child.

what a public hero!

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i have a lot of our neighborhood friends ask me why my kids don't go down to the local tkd kids' dojo. i always tell them the same thing: because if i'm going to pay for my kids to learn to fight, then i want them to learn to fight.

i get it, parents just want their kids to not be bullied, to feel confident, to have the tools they help to protect themselves. but then, i see so many fall back on all the marketing they see or hear.

my answer is always the same. for one, i have not even started my kids. but two, when they do start, it's judo.