Things that make you go GRRRRR.... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhea, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Lets see...someone sends an e-mail you respond and tell them what needs to be done. They sne you an e-mail to tell you what they want done.... you send an e-mail to tell them why that can't be done...they send an e-mail saying ok but do this...which is the same exact thing you told them could not be done....repeat this 4 more times....send one final e-mail with copious detail as to why it can't be done with great amounts of detail on the topic and have them respond with ask this other guy...who I know has no knowledge what-so-ever on the topic.... send and ask and get a response.... "I know nothing about the topic"...forward that response with the reasons why it cannot be done and FINALLY the response is oh then lets go the way you are talking about..... that... right there.... made me go GRRRRRRRR

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn run tracker on my phone messed up and thinks I ran 0.3k in 30 minutes. I'm not THAT bad.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Parcel Force returning my parcel to sender when they were instructed to leave it at the post office for me to pick up. And then ignoring me when I got in touch with them to ask why?

Oh and their tracker is useless. It claimed my parcel was in their depot. Turned out it had been in the post office the entire time. They only retrieved it on the day I had arranged to pick it up! :bang:

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Got the lurgy again! A few weeks after I was last full of snot, here I am filling myself with spicy stuff and lucozade while constantly blowing my nose. Not happy, seeing as it's winter bouldering competition time :woo:

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I hate that. Mine either goes to my middle ears and makes me deaf as a doadie or it hangs up there, getting infected and suddenly falls out - usually when I'm right in the middle of skipping rope or burpees in class.

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Husband and wife Tai Chi Chuan students of over twenty years at my school just got in a serious accident. Car ran a red light and hit them. He has broken bones, she has a broken neck.

Miraculously, she isn't paralyzed. I didn't even know that was possible- to break one's neck and not be paralyzed. They are both expected to leave the hosbital soon.

I don't know the husband very well, but the wife has been a great fellow student who has helped my MA journey greatly over the past 10 years. I hang out with her at school events like our banquet. She has my respect and I just like her.

It is weird because I don't hang out with other students away from the school, but they are still significant people in my life. Not regular friends by the definition, but friends from my school? I don't even know many people's first names, although I have known them for years. Yet I spend most of my spare time training, so I see them more than my actual regular definiton friends. Yet our knowledge of each other is very limited about stuff away from training.

I came home from a great night of practice to read this news. It is very sobering. I want to be there for them, yet don't know them well enough to really do that. Angry that some jerk can run a red light and cause such damage to others. Happy their serious injuries are somehow not where they aren't going to be ok.

Feeling a weird mix of emotions right now

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  7. belltoller

Hate to hear that, aaradia. It can be over so quickly. I saw a bloke die a few weeks ago in a motorcar accident. We had just come from eating at a restaurant and passed a rather dangerous and busy intersection when we heard the tyres of a car screech and heard a boom. Heard the boom - what was odd was that from that instant, everything went into slow motion from the time we heard the crash. I looked into the rear view mirror and then I saw this pickup truck's front end crumple and this dust slowly filled the air. It was like the accident itself was going at quarter speed, whilst everything around it were going faster than normal - then I saw, what at first I incredulously thought was a sack of potatoes flying through the air.

Part of me realised it warn't a sack of potatoes but its odd how another part of us seeks to be in denial. People were getting out of their cars while the body was still rolling on the highway. So surrealistic.

Glad your friends are not suffering from life-threatening injuries. My - a broken neck amongst the injuries and they are expected to go home soon?

Truly amasing.

8. aaradia

Thanks belltoller, I needed a few kind words of understanding.

Yes, it seems impossible and miraculous that things aren't worse. But I am still worried for them. For one thing, they are in their 70's. I have heard bones take longer to heal the older you get. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

9. Adrastia

Adrastia Valued Member

aaradia, deep gassho to you and great sympathy for you and your friends. And many words and thoughts of understanding to you and to them.

Several years ago I was in a car driven by a family member hit by another car. The other car was speeding and our driver (my sister) went through a stop sign. Both at 'fault' on a clear bright morning, no alcohol etc. involved, at a dangerous intersection out in the country, one well known for many terrible accidents. Our 19 year old nephew was killed, I was hurt, others shaken but not 'injured' - altho of course they were badly hurt. . I was pinned in the car with him for a long time, many firefighters, LEOs and emergency personnel worked hard to help us and I will always remember their dilligence and kindness. There are no words to describe that grief and trauma. It has taken many years to " re-cover" and in some ways the loss to our family continues. He would be a wonderful man today and the anniversary of that day is just past.

Please stay steady and close by your friends. A constant, reliable presence of kindness and support is one way to help them. Please 'google' ' vehicle crash trauma or car accident trauma'. The recovery - both physical and emotional - goes on over a considerable length of time. If a person's spinal cord is not damaged it is certainly possible to have broken cervical vertebrae and heal. When finally removed from the car I was placed in a 'head box' to stabilize my head and neck until MRI determined I was ok. My face/head hit the back of the driver's seat - we were all wearing seat belts, even so our boy was killed.

You certainly can be of comfort and service to your friend and her husband. If the differences seem large, consult others in her community about appropriate ways to offer your support. Formality and dignity do not have to mean pretending that this never happened. I can't stress too much how important it is to be receptive, gentle and constant in your expressions of kindness, through all the months that lie ahead.
    Just a few weeks after our accident and the death of our boy, some well-meaning but deeply mis-guided friends became impatient and annoyed that we were not 'moving on'. The friends and family who 'stayed close' (even tho some were many miles away) were a great help. Their patience was the great gift.

Your responses seem perfectly normal and fine to me - a 'weird mix of emotions' is a truthful description.

Please let us know how you are and how your friends are doing. I know I will be thinking of you with affection and support; here when you need us.

w//respect A

10. aaradia

Thanks Andrastia,

You touch on the problem for me. Are we "friends." I don't hang out with her away from the school. I don't have their home phone #.

We have spent 10 years of classes together- practicing together- learning-and talking. But not away from the school.

So, I am trying to figure out how to be supportive under those circumstances. I was thinking of telling our Sifu to give them my home phone number and have them call if say, I dunno- they need someone to pick up groceries or something?

Organize a big get well card to be signed by students so they know we are all thinking of them? Feels so trivial, but maybe just showing support is how I and other students can "stay steady and close by."

Maybe I will just call Sifu today and ask if he knows what can be done to support them........

11. belltoller

You may not have been "friends" before. You can certainly be so now. It won't be forgotten.

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

You've spent 10 years of your life doing something that matters to you together. You care enough about them to be experiencing a large mix of different emotions and enough that you want to offer your support in whatever way you can. I'd say even if you aren't "friends", you care about them in the same way.

Someone I have a huge amount of respect for once said that the friendships he built in the dojo are some of the strongest he's ever experienced and the longest lasting. At the time I thought he was being a touch sentimental but looking back, I think he was bang on the money.

It's not trivial at all. For what little it may be worth from me, that sounds like a good plan.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

"I know; I'll do this work properly, rather than doing some half-arsed bodge that will be an absolute nightmare for anyone working after me to correct, repair or decorate."

Said nobody who ever did any work on my house before me.

Mitch

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think the same person must have worked on my house too.
    Almost every screw has been stripped by being over tightened.

15. Mitch

The bloke who installed our broad band used this.

Attached Files:

16. Mitch

Someone made a step out of chipboard and didn't bother putting any supports under it, so it's collapsed.

He made it in one piece going back into the corridor too, then put skirting board, architrave and even bits of door frame over it, before fixing it with screws tightened so much I'm having to drill them out.

If I ever find him I'm going to take all the sharp bits of chipboard, stuff them down his pants and give him a wedgie that will leave him picking splinters out of his nose.

Attached Files:

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The people that used to own our house had an extension done.
    No one, not even the cowboys that did it, saw fit to re-route the water tank outlet so that it still drained outside the house.
    So when the stop-**** went it drained straight into the loft space above our bedroom. :(

18. Mitch

Maybe it's the same people. Let's hunt them down and administer some DIY justice. :D

Mitch

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Got told tonight my gym has a few months to find 100 new members or its shutting down. Not sure "GRRRR" quite covers how I feel about that. I've turned down full time jobs to keep my evenings free, my family has gone without literally for years paying my membership until I got my current job, I applied to the local uni ignoring another course elsewhere I really wanted to do because staying here and being able to train meant more to me. And now potentially all that was for bugger all.

I genuinely don't know how I feel about this. There is nothing like this place closer than London, yet alone within actual travelling distance for me. Basically I could go and do judo, which I don't like but its better than doing nothing. MMA was a huge part of how I identified myself and that place is a second home to me. Hell those people are basically the only social interaction I have outside of serving people at work. I'm trying to picture things if the place does go under and its very dark. I guess I become another loser who splits his life between working and sitting at a computer playing WoW. Crap, I'd probably end up leaving MAP too.

And then to add to the Grrrs, its a huge deal to me if it has to close, but because I'm a shut in there's not much I can do to try and save it other than flyering and posters.

So yeah. Not a happy night. Not a happy Southpaw.

20. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ouch, that's horrible to hear Southpaw :(

I hope things work out well. Probably seems pretty trivial but I'm not sure what else I can say. Except that I'm sure us MAPpers will still be happy to have you round regardless and your training will always add up to more than bugger all regardless of what happens.

Normally I'd make some flippant comment about finding a gym or a climbing club or something but I'm not sure that's appropriate here. :(