Wavemaster Bag Workout

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by stonze, Nov 22, 2014.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Just be glad you aren't a famous musician!:p

2. stonze

stonze Valued Member

lol right

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's the start of it. It's everywhere. Nearly always bad but I like it :)

Edit: I'm guessing it's one of those things that when you start looking it's everywhere because you're looking but I keep finding it now so it's there (fun?)

http://27project.wordpress.com/about/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Yes Simon you are correct, I have stated that myself in a few posts. Range refers to the effective distance of a technique like elbow or uppercut for clinch range and spinning back kick for longer strikeing range. Of course timeing is crucial for spinning backkick so timeing refers to when you should begin your technique so that it remains effective.

5. stonze

stonze Valued Member

its kind of funny seeing a guy trying to throw an elbow strike from mid range lol

6. bodyshot

Good talk so far, and yes it can be funny but dont forget that some guys can lunge very quickly and very well. Simon you are a good martial artist, yes timeing and range are seperate things that is right. I would say four things are important combat principle.
    1.Proper technique, for power generation
    2.understanding range
    3.understanding timeing
    4. understanding rythym.
    I would not like to be a 27 year old muscian either lols not good.

7. aaradia

Really? Until your stuff looks perfect, I would not be so quick to laugh at others learning.......

You think your stuff is so good no more advanced person could find something they think funny?

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Not as funny as watching someone throwing kicks on a wave master with no set up, crossing their legs and dropping there hands as they move and they hearing then say they want to do MMA :hat:

9. aaradia

Is this all also taught at your wushu school? How many schools are you currently going to? Or how many qualified instructors do you have?

You list training in..............
    Wushu
    Muay Thai
    Boxing,
    Wrestling
    BJJ
    TKD
    Jujitsu

If I recall correctly, you only started training a couple of years ago- like 2?

Please tell me you aren't self training or youtube training some of these.........

10. stonze

stonze Valued Member

you pretty much just made it into a simple formula to follow. All 4 of the things you named have to be exact.

11. stonze

stonze Valued Member

I have a few friends who fight out here in cleveland for NAAFS. I study wushu and jujitsu at my school, but I go over drills at techniques from the other arts I mentioned with my friends at gyms and their personal facilities, as well as reading books on each art that I practice. Physical preparation is always great, but the mental development to train should never be overlooked when you can't physically train.

But like I said before, I know once I go into cage fighting, I will be drilled on every aspect of MMA, so I figure who better than to learn from than personal mma fighters.

12. stonze

stonze Valued Member

ooooo... nice one lol

13. bodyshot

Well heres a couple things I would say in reguard to that comment, those are combat principles at my school we have five of them and they are universal truthes if you will, dosent matter what art your using. And Im not really sure what you mean by exact, I can tell you this, its not rocket science my man, I mean stick around for long enough to become a trainer yourself and youll understand what I mean.
    I thought your video looked good, keep up the good work bro.
    On second thought here aare those five principles of combat for you to look at.
    1.Range
    2.timeing
    3.rythym
    4.control point
    5. power generation.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  14. stonze

stonze Valued Member

thanks for the advice bro. I will keep training and improving on the weak parts of my game and working to strengthen then stronger points as well

15. bodyshot

You seem pretty athletic so I dont think you will have much trouble in a real match, are you tough? Did you play football or anything?

16. stonze

stonze Valued Member

I didn't play football on organized teams. I've always been into sports and athletic activities... I love when we spar especially in jujitsu cause we go through 3 stages... 1 would be the striking phase 2 is the grappling / throwing/ takedown phase then 3 would be finish the fight on the ground with a submission on keeping the opponent pinned down

17. bodyshot

Couldnt say it better myself, that kind of training is great, it allows you to focus on one range of combat at a time, then when your ready to have an MMA style match you should be prepaired. Football is where I developed my toughness well that and good ole fashion hard work. Ive only been in a small handfull of serious full contact sparring matches and in my opnion a good offense is the best defense, well anyway post as many videos as you want and I will always be willing to take a look at them and offer an honest oppinion on them.

18. stonze

stonze Valued Member

yea man, its great going over 3 aspects of combat all in the same sparring session. I will definitely post some more videos in the future. Thanks for the helpful advice

19. stonze

stonze Valued Member

i know that there are a ton of dedicated martial artists on this forum. Do any of you guys have any good advice or pointers for me after watching my bag work? bodyshot had some really good pointers and detailed advice that I found very helpful.

Where you guys at?
    shoutout to bodyshot

20. aaradia

Maybe it is just a personal preference thing, but I would say do more variety of kicks and more basic ones. You do lots of flashy kicks, but those aren't the main ones used in fights. And MUCH less of those those turning your back and twisting around and jumping double kicks. Sorry not sure of the name of those.

More leg height kicks mixed in. Watch Jose Aldo and you will know why I suggest this. You have shown you can reach a good height, now mix it up.Good leg kicks are going to be useful in an MMA match.

Powerthrusts, and more variety of side kicks, more basic front kicks.

Same basic idea with punches- more punches and more variety of them. Mix up your targets. Don't just go for power stuff, mix in some jabs.

More elbows and knees too. Although I don't know how easy it is to do those on a wavemaster. I haven't used one of those. We have big hanging bags. Maybe the base gets in the way of really close strikes.

Keep in mind, I am no bag workout expert, but this is what I see.