Tai chi bhutan sequence

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Iker, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Iker

Iker New Member

Hi everyone,

I have started recently to do tai chi in one place here in my home town (Bilbao, Spain) and since the begining I found a bit weird the movements of the teacher, really diferent from what I see in all videos. He says that is one kind of Tai Chi Chuan called "The Bhutan sequence" but I didn't found any information about it. I'm leaving here a video, if you can confrim that this already exist and is not an "invention" of him I would be very graceful

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx0kdRQFDEQ"]eltai taichi serie1 bilateral - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pXN22wG3uQ"]eltai taichi - palo serie1 bilateral.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

It's not something I'm familiar with..

3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Never seen it before

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Nope, doesn't look familiar to me either. However, I am only really familiar with Yang style TCC.

Asking here is fine, but why aren't you asking your teacher about the origins of these forms? My GM has created TCC forms. We have at least one of them in our curriculum. There is nothing wrong with creating a form. But a teacher should be honest about the lineage of a form. I only need to ask, and I learn who created what form in both my CLF and my TCC. I would also add don't be too critical of an instructor "inventing" a form. To invent a form properly is one way of showing a mastery of an art.

Now about that staff form. I gotta ask, do you learn martial applications for that form? No offense, but I don't see much application in that form. For example- at 2:17, it looks like that staff could be easily knocked out of that very awkward grip. You can't really put any power into that move with that hand position. I am not trying to be critical, just trying to learn about what you do. Maybe it isn't intended to be martial or maybe you could explain applications I am not seeing.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Interesting - I would think that he made it up or learned from someone who made it up.... But that's fine... EVERY form is made up by someone - it's just that a lot of people in the martial arts give WAY too much respect to anything that was made up by someone who is oriental and dead...

6. zzj

zzj Valued Member

It doesn't look like any tai chi form I know of, but the movements look somewhat derivative of Yang Style. Can't find any mention of Bhutan sequence on Google either....

Edit: first post yay!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  7. aaradia

Just so you know, Oriental is a term for objects-not people. :hat: At least if you don't want to offend some Asian people.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  8. ned

ned Valued Member

What matters most is whether he has a thorough understanding of the practical applications and mechanics of the movements and,if so,whether he has the ability and training methods to pass it on to you-you should get a good idea of this by looking at
    his senior students-are they confident explaining and applying the techniques ?

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

"The Orient means the East. It is a traditional designation for anything that belongs to the Eastern world or the Middle East (aka Near East) or the Far East, in relation to Europe."

but i guess robert is referring to "oriental romanticism" (AKA why most folks get into martial arts)

10. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

Compact Tai Chi that doesn't use a lot of floorspace? Seems like a good idea to me. The staff set looks a bit silly to me though, I dare say. Also, what connection does this have to Bhutan?

11. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

It could be done on top of a mountain?

12. aaradia

We have a 8 step sequence/ form that doesn't use up much space. We go over it in group classes sometimes, but it isn't part of our curriculum. That is, we don't need to know it for any tests.

Honestly, I have no idea if our GM developed it or if it is a standard Yang style thing. I will go look at the Yang family website and see if it is listed, or ask my Sifu next time I think of it.

13. Iker

Iker New Member

Thank you all for your answers, my main problem was that he was saying it like it is something really tipical in the tai chi with very comon movements. I dont mind to deal with something inventend if it is offer like that but all the things that he was saying to me sounded quite weird. Thank you all for your help, Im actualy looking for somewhere else to learn it :)