Training abroad

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by FunnyBadger, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

My instructor speaks very highly of Master Toddy. Master Betty didn't think so much of him though. I think it was mostly because he has an instructors course for Muay Thai, where you can get certified and stuff. I just think he's very good at business. He has his own signature venum pads named after him!

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

My friends in San Diego have Sao it's great out there for bjj and Slipthrjab trained with Galvao when he worked for a gi company.

That hawaii trip sounds amazing! I've got a real thing for Polynesia at the moment. I'll probably message you tonight about te details.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

No problem bro, i wouldnt say I saw the best of the islands, but I certainly had fun and got a lot of good training in.

And I also learnt not to try and outdrink irish hurling teams out on the lash on waikiki beach!

Marshal carper wrote a book on his experiences there, its def worth a read!

4. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

There is always Vegas. We have everything and lots of fun as well. However, it is not always cheap!

5. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Brian, that's one of the reasons I love Vegas. It's a smorgasbord for a martial artist. :)

Oh, and with Tiger in Phuket you can also study Muay Boran. They are one of the few schools that has a Muay Boran instructor. I'm told there aren't many who even practice it but it's supposedly more deadly then Muay Thai.

6. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Master Toddy has a school in Vegas as well. I noticed that when I first started looking at various schools. His school didn't make my short list though as the reviews were so so. One of the other schools in Vegas was a bit higher rated.

I will say this, which many others have said. Tiger is the best. Their new school in Chiang Mai, is going to give the other schools in that area a run for their money. I personally like staying in Chiang Mai when I go to Thailand because it's less touristy. Phuket has a lot to see and it's fun to visit but Chiang Mai is where you go if you want no distractions because there aren't any. lol

7. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Bitter taste of reality

Well unfortunately my whole plan has slightly fallen through. The car decided to break and so a nice big bill from the garage has wiped out the money I was planning on spending on my trip (including a fair bit that I don't have, yay for negative £s). Who knew steering columns were so expensive? Apparently it's a common problem with Vauxhall merivas though, word to the wise avoid Vauxhall merivas.

The result of this is I can't afford to go away. I could afford to do a shorter trip but the £500+ cost of flights puts me off going out for 2 weeks, just doesn't make sense.

So I shall be staying in the UK unless I can find somewhere as cheap to live as thailand but a lot cheaper to get to. Please tell me there is a well respected full time muaythai/MMA type gym in South Eastern Europe near a beach with nice cheap accommodation and good spoken English and without the risk of being kidnapped/mugged/invaded by Russia. I'm not asking for too much am I?

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Holland?
    Mad style Muay Thai guys...or you can just go to Russia and try to wrestle people.
    (Russia wont get invaded :))

9. FunnyBadger

Well i have looked into Holland :) should fit my criteria pretty well but I have no idea where to go in Holland. Most of the sites I've found have little to no English on them and he other advice pages I've found online have been quite old. If anyone has any ideas or links for good places in Holland for a beginner who speaks no Dutch to train at then that be awesome :)

Russia is more of an issue, I work in the forces and there's a few issues with us going Over there at the moment. Some sambo training would be amazing but no idea how to make that happen.

Tbf I think I may just end up asking my mum to out me up for couple of months, be a bit of a change lol (moved out 6 yrs ago) and then training as much as I can around cardiff. I know of good bjj and Muay thai places and a good judo club (that annoyingly trains at the exact time the Mt club does) so I'm sure I can keep my self busy enough in Cardiff and save a fair bit or failing that pretend I'm 18 again and go a bit silly lol.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

If you aren't going to be working and it's a while till the training holiday then why not trying teaching TEFL in Thailand? You can train, travel and earn money!

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If you're in the forces (depending on which one), and you'll be travelling for training, basically don't mention who you work for when you go and talk to your Supervising Officer?
    The Russian Police is essentially the Olympic/Former Olympic wrestling line up. So you will definately land on your head and neck a few times. (Thats if you go, lol)

Here is a web article on training in the Netherlands... http://www.myfightcamp.com/2013/03/muay-thai-training-camps-in-holland.html?m=1.

I was gonna recommend looking up Russ Williams MT but they're in Wrexham, so a bit far from Cardiff (I think).

12. FunnyBadger

Chers for all the help here mushroom :)

13. FunnyBadger

Hi there folks, yup my plan has officially fallen apart lol. Il be moving to cardiff for the 8 weeks, not quite as exciting as a beach in Thailand but significantly cheaper. My mum is willing to put me for the duration. yay I get to be a kid again :)

I will be looking to save up and definately make the adventure happen at a later date :)

Cheers for all the help and advice here though folks :)

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, San Diego has a ton of Pro MMA gyms.

I don't know about the cost of training at these gyms, but I can tell you the cost of living here is NOT cheap.

Hotel, food, gas, transportation. Our cost of living is ridiculously high here. Keep in mind San Diego has a terrible bus system. It is very slow, bad evening hours, and expensive. You would need some sort of transportation too.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If you're English the food seems cheap and the bus cheap and decent.