Aikido in relation to koryu?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by pseudo, Nov 2, 2014.

1. ludde

ludde Valued Member

What do you mean by contains?

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

He's probably got the idea from the connection between Minoru Mochizuki and TSKSR via, IIRC, Sugino Sensei.

3. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Yeah, probably.

4. ludde

ludde Valued Member

If you want the full deal you have to move to Japan.

5. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

It is in my plans. Looking for post doc opportunities in Japan. There are exchange programs between japan and the EU just have to get on one of those. Still, well in the future.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Have a holiday there first, a decent length one.

You may hate the place.

7. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

True... but for now, no money for a holiday in Japan. Again, this is not an immediate plan so I am not too worried about it. Having fun with Judo and Aikido at the moment :)

8. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Aikido comes in many flavours. Early Deshi of Ueshiba were exposed to Daito and Aikibudo. Shioda, Tomiki and Mochizuki who created their own styles of Aikido were certainly exposed. Within the System I practice we have koryu no kata some of these techniques are very similar to Daitoryu. Yoseikan Aikido still has sutemi waza. Yoshinkan Aikido is a powerful style, Iwama ryu also has a very practical approach. Although I am not an authority on any of the other styles all seem to have a direct approach. Some styles of Aikido are very flowery in approach, although when I look at footage of Tohei I am sure that his style is being misinterpreted by some. But that happens in all styles.

9. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

You should check out shotokan.

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Why ?

11. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

What tradition you would take depends on your own personal & psychological make-up. I've done a fair few koryū in my early twenties and learned a lot, but at the end of the day, I found that I didn't suit them and vice-versa. You have to be kind of brutally honest with yourself as to what you want from your training.

You'll also find out that certain koryū can "go against the grain" of the philiosophy of aikidō to a certain extent.

Iwama-ryū aikidō's bokutō kumitachi come from Kashima Shintō-ryū. Ueshiba Morihei and Saitō Morihiro both studied the system in Ibaraki Prefecture. Their names are still on the ryū's eimeiroku (student attendance register) and while they learned the kata, the actual mindset and intent were changed when it was for lack of a better term, "grafted" onto aikidō.

What is it that you want from koryū?

Just saying a more traditional approach doesn't really cut it, as there are more traditional leaning aikidōjō out there. It has to be more than that.

I wanted something functional, rather combative and pragmatic, but at the same time, historically and traditionally linked. I wasn't interested in flourishes or flowery techniques, I just wanted something that had a bit of a corporeal form. I eventually found two koryū (One I started when I was a twenty year old) and another I started a few years later. The rest I have fond memories of, but at the same time, I know that they'll not suit my character.

So, what do you want from koryū and what can you do to contribute to it?

12. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Very good answer and very good questions. You have given me something to consider. Cheers