Shaolin - The History

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Anth, Mar 27, 2008.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Shaolin is a misadventure of a time long since pass and those who reference do so, cannot verify any real claim

As per my above response. China has it as a tourist attraction. They need to have people to "portray monks" to promote that tourism. And, I do not believe that people "actually live in the temple"

Although this part of your post, may have some point, people tend to forget that the Franciscan order follow a religious belief adhering to those particulars

Shaolin's particular was the study of Chen (chan) and people who soley practice martial arts claiming to be Shaolin, cannot be a particular of that. Some scholars believe that martial arts/artists in Shaolin were rebels incognito. Yes, Shaolin does have history, but some of it is shrouded and used for the sake of propaganda

Actually, for some time, it was "idle". Being dilapidated. China was not concerned with it from the the late 1700's to 1950's-ish.

And though he may have skills, he cannot lay claim that it is authentic "Shaolin"

Yes, monitored for its commercial prospect

The 'true meaning" of Shaolin? What is that? Lets go back to "why" it was built, that would be its "true meaning". And China's "Last Emperor" was never concerned with Shaolin, he was concerned with keeping his throne while Japanese were starting to occupy his country

China would not invade anyone with "Shaolin" pretenders. They know Shaolin is a tourist tool . China has a military force

"A man disguised as a Kozak can not possibly be shao lin"...CORRECT
    You hit the word-disguised. Which means not true

People referencing "Shaolin" in a martial art without knowing "why" it was built in the first place, never can claim "true". People who practice Shaolin (martial art) "are living a dream"

2. KunLong

KunLong Valued Member

Yours? History is history and those who ignore it are doomed to repeat it. Look around.
    Your statement has no basis in history or the present, in fact, it has no basis at all.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

History is history - the present is the present.

If China made such an aggressive move to either the US or Russia, then the latter parties are not going to be worried about a troupe of gymnasts re-enacted history for naive westerners.

Your scenario has no basis in logic or reality - in fact, it has no basis at all.

4. KunLong

KunLong Valued Member

<<Shaolin is a misadventure of a time long since pass and those who reference do so, cannot verify any real claim>>

Well, that can be your special secret.

<<And though he may have skills, he cannot lay claim that it is authentic "Shaolin>>

I hear a lot of "since I didn't find it" absolutes from you which numerous people know to be incorrect? Like monks got in a cryo chamber for centuries then popped out? Instead of lives, lines, histories that just kept right on going and still do?

I don't see the point of some moronic profanity removed thread and even if you like it? I suggest that may be part of why you seem to live in one world others don't and need to spend pages to justify your position and needs?
    I don't get the benefit of talking to you about it or providing you an opportunity to talk more?
    Find a safe place and be there ok?
    Cheers! (that means done....but go ahead really. Knock yourself out you seem good at it!)

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

KunLong, watch the masked profanity.

6. KunLong

KunLong Valued Member

I already posted that I was typing bu ll Shi do....but gee, I didn't see that when I looked....

7. 47MartialMan

AGREE also per my post #60

Not a secret-a "reality"

Lives, lines are not going, history does. But for Shaolin, its history ggets tainted

Ignorance is Bliss. There are some "Happy Shaoliners"

8. Brad66

Brad66 Valued Member

So what if they are authentic or not. Its not up to me or you to say whether they are or not.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bollocks

You try and sell me poop as shinola it is absolutely my business to call you on it

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

We had a performance by some Shaolin monks at my school a few years ago. Fun stuff to watch, although more acrobatics than fighting sckills IMO. And really so very different than what my school teaches. But I respect the athleticism.

They did a quick demo at each school to promote ticket sales of the performance. That performance was reserved for students of my schools to buy the tickets.

Thing is, the impression they left me with was a showman business much more than a group of devoutly religious priests. And there was something not too cool in what they did business wise. I don't remember what it was, but I was left feeling it was more of a used car salesman sort of business.......just not too impressed with the business side of things.

The performances were great though!

Here is one of those promotional quick preview performances they did at one of my other school's locations.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_QYKSyYYoM"]Shaolin Monks - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  11. KunLong

KunLong Valued Member

The thing I noticed here is like that other forum. Some of the people who think it matters what they say and that they are "the great authority" because they're...not...to anybody?

I think everybody knows it'a a show, just hate to bash it up too much for the people who dig it? Why be an over-much bully?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  12. 47MartialMan

Allow me to state, Shaolin is "part of" martial arts in the sense of Chinese shrouded military and Imperial history.

To fully understand it, is to;

1.) Research/Realize why it was built

2.) Research/Realize why it was destroyed (a few times)

3.) Research/Realize within the past 50 years or less, it is propaganda

Denial is a terrible thing

13. KunLong

KunLong Valued Member

Seems to me a real shao lin would say "what does it matter?"
    It also seems to me that the only one trying to assert denial are the ones who wish only to satisfy themselves, have spoken and yet seem still unsatisfied? I don't see you getting satisfaction? Except from others here who are somehow on a same page with you that does not seem to promote anything of real worth to another? Others will read it and gravitate accordingly? None of the arguments will be really what convinces them, they will?
    But I apologize for speaking in the beginning and can not see being trolled anymore by your onsults. Why stink it up for everyone? (No satisfaction?)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Dude, ease up a bit.

15. 47MartialMan

Seems to me a real shao lin would say "What does it matter?, I am going to believe what I want despite other comments and evidence."

Yes. Shaoliners are the ones who wish only to satisfy themselves

:hat:

16. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Hey just found this thread. I am actually studying this stuff in relative detail, part of a larger study of ancient China (philosophy, poetry, anthropology, archaeology). It's kind of a hobby of mine. Part of the hobby was studying kung fu for a few years to taste the culture, which gave me a lot of great leads.

Is this thread about history or philosophy? It's hard to tell from the ruckus.

Somebody throw out some good questions let's see what we can dig up :love:

17. The Iron Fist

Awesome post!

This is AND it isn't, right?

The isn't part is denial isn't "terrible". It just is. :hat:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  18. 47MartialMan

I don't quite know what you are stating.

Denial and romanticism "can be" a terrible thing

But, if one is to dig into the "history" of any subject, they will find information far beyond what they had originally thought, believed, or singularly resourced and/or hearsay.

Apart from social media of the internet, also its negatives, the internet is a infinite highway of information.

How one uses it, chooses to accept information, limits/expands their view

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  19. The Iron Fist

An internet of Buddhas, like Shaolin.

20. 47MartialMan

Interesting

Because I made contact with a few Buddhist clergy long before the internet, and now with the internet, I lost contact with almost half