Vegan protein?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kframe, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys, i use protein powders to supplement my diet and they are very helpful. They help me get closer to my daily goals and sate any cravings.

However milk and animal based proteins are getting expensive.
    I did find a website that can mix you custom protein powders and in bulk for good prices. http://www.truenutrition.com/

Now their prices on all powders are good. However i noticed that some of there vegan/hippie/AlGore powders are more affordable.

One such powder was the pea protein powder. So my question is, what kinds of proteins from the other vegan proteins do i need to combine to make a complete protein source? I dont think pea and rice protein are complete so i could use some advice here guys. By complete i mean contains all of the essential amino acids. I know alot of vegan stuff is lacking in that.

P.S. i am only trying to be funny with the hippie/AlGore comment.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm not up on modern protein powders, someone like Zaad will be able to give better information (which is why he is now TM for this area).

One thing I would say though is that protein powders and any other tablets should be a supplement to a complete diet, not part of it.

If you take an incomplete vitamin tablet it'll take the missing components from your body, which rather defeats the object of taking the thing in the first place.

I'd be interested to know if incomplete protein powders do the same.

I would either:

• Improve my diet
    • Pay more for a complete powder

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm mildly sure hemp protein is complete and isn't much more expensive than rice

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Vegan proteins come in a couple varieties - hemp, pea etc
    Sun warrior brand is probably the best quality of vegan proteins.

Most vegan proteins have a low amount of protein per 100g compared to milk based ones.
    I've found that price is dependent of brand, flavour and size of buy.
    A bulk 5kg buy with a standard brand of unflavoured milk protein will be comparatively very cheap especially with end of the month online sales.

In the past I would have agreed with the argument that powder is cheaper than meat but I've found ou recently that supermarkets sell chicken on bone at 500g (half a lb) for 1 quid (a dollar and fifty cents) which was cheaper than the vacillation I had made about the cost per protein scoop.

Wherein the world are you based?

Simon - I have mod powers in this thread...

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sorry, Zaad. Terrible typo on my part.

I put not the mod, instead of now the mod. Now corrected.

6. Mangosteen

Hahaha I thought I was accidentally assigned some extra powers!

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Power Level 9000?

8. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

The thing is, my Daily requirements are around 200g of protein. Which would be bit on the expensive side to try and Eat that everyday. That would be over 2lbs of lean boneless skinless chicken breasts aday.

However it becomes manageable with powder supplementation between meals.

The high protein number helps with cravings as well as making sure i have more then enough protein to fund muscle growth after workouts which is important to me.

With regards to incomplete proteins, i normally agree with you and would just get a complete powder. However they are getting expensive right now(not sure why just a few months ago they were cheap as heck) and the vegan powders are more affordable.

I dont know much about veganism but i do know that they combine things to form complete proteins which was my goal with this post. TO find out which combination of things i need.

Under normal circumstances i would just get bulk whey and be done with it.

9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

IM in USA. So far im not seeing meat much cheaper right now. What websites have end of the month sales? I could get some very cheap from ebay and amazon but i dont like doing business on those sights.. I dont want to deal with paypall.

10. Mangosteen

Try off cuts of meat like wings, legs, liver, kidney, heart and frozen goods.

In the UK we use myprotein.com or bulk powders.com for bulk buys of unflavoured protein. Costco sometimes has good deals.

Could you post some links for vegan powders? I might invest if they're cheaper than meat

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

So far i have only looked at www.truenutrition.com Some of there vegan powders are slightly more inexpensive then the whey or milk.

Ill try bulk powders and see if there prices are good. Hmmm you mention the price of meat in relation to powders. I didnt consider that. Right now costco has a 10lb bag of boneless skinless breast for $22.50. However it is not as convenient as powder.

I hate the looks i get at work when i show up with my containers of chicken. They look at me like im some kind of primitive neanderthal noming his kill. No one bats an eye at powder.