Wavemaster Bag Workout

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by stonze, Nov 22, 2014.

1. stonze

stonze Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_zjq6Br77c"]Heavy Bag Workout (Martial Arts) - YouTube[/ame]

I do a little freestyle bag workout on the wavemaster. I switch up my strikes a lands various kicks, punches, elbows, and knees to the bag. I like working out on the bags before I start class or just working out on the bags in general because I can do techniques and test the distance for each attack and improve my game before sparring.

Drop some comments and let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014
  2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

keep your hands up, other than that looks alright, make sure to stick landing.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What is the goal of your training - competition? Self defence? Fitness?

4. stonze

stonze Valued Member

my overall goal is to do full contact cage fighting. I want to start out in the NAAFS out here in Ohio, then see where that takes me. Until then, I just want to become a black sash in Wushu and Black belt in Jujitsu. I've competed in 2 tournaments so far, but my overall goal is to cage fight.

I do enjoy the fitness aspect, but I want to go into cage fighting as being a black belt in some base martial art. I don't wanna go in and only learn 25% of everything, I want to have a solid background in at least 1 martial art and build from there.

5. stonze

stonze Valued Member

Thank you sir, working on every aspect of my game knowing that I have a lot more work to do and a lot more to learn.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My advice? Drop wushu. Nothing wrong with it for wushu purposes, but it's not going to give you an appropriate skillset for competing (successfully, at least) in cagefighting/MMA. You should look towards full-contact combat sports (boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, etc) for that.

7. bodyshot

Looks like you have power in your kicks, thats more than I can say for alot af guys that use jump spins. Sems like you know the range of the technique, Ive sparred alot of guys that didnt know how to time that kick and I always wind up kicking them instead.
    Show some hand technique though, its always good to mix it up personally I think you should post a 70/30 mix video, 70%hands/30%kicks, that would give us a better look at you as a fighter.

8. stonze

stonze Valued Member

I plan on doing a video doing just that, but I'll be using my Quest Allstrike.. Throwing punches, kicks, elbows, knees and working various combinations. I will get that video done and post onto here for you guys.

9. stonze

stonze Valued Member

outside of Jujitsu and Wushu, I do train Muay Thai, boxing, and a little bit of wrestling (shooting and takedowns) my ground work is mainly BJJ & Jujitsu.. My standup consists of Muay Thai striking and clinching, a mix of Wushu and Tae Kwondo strikes and boxing.. I'm a hard worker and I love doing MMA.. thanks for the timely replies guys, i appreciate it

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Range to me is also about where you are in relation to your opponent when you land/return to guard after the technique.

Something all to often forgotten when working the bag.

11. stonze

stonze Valued Member

I try to work on all aspects every time I train. Range is something I focus on a lot because I'm smaller, so I have to work in close to land effective strikes. But yes, range is something that's forgotten like you said

12. Simon

That's cool, Stonze, but if you want to take it into the cage, treat the bag more like an opponent before striking.

Throw a feint before moving in. Imagine an attack and defend it before moving in. Keep moving in and out of range etc.

13. stonze

stonze Valued Member

thanks for the tip..I will incorporate that into my bag work next session. I need helpful tips in all aspects, so thank you good sir

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How old are you Stonze?

15. stonze

stonze Valued Member

16. bodyshot

How right you are my friend. Where im from we call that timeing. Simon your pretty smart guy are you an active trainer or on student status.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  17. Simon

Timing and range are two different things.

18. stonze

stonze Valued Member

indeed.. timing and range have to supplement each other

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

A magical number

20. stonze

stonze Valued Member

lol what's so magical about the number 27?