Who else thinks this is wrong

Discussion in 'Judo' started by GojuShotokan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. GojuShotokan

GojuShotokan Valued Member

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

A rather stupid thing to do, in my opinion.

Judo would be able to benefit from their Judoka attending BJJ tournaments.
    As someone in another forum said: When the judoka would do well, more people might attend Judo classes.
    If the Judoka wouldn't do well, it should be looked for the reason, why he would be bad (or at least not very good), from which Judo as a whole might profit.

Personally I wonder about the legal side; the only thing I see the IJF could do, is to tell its top fighters: "Oh, you started on that BJJ tournament anyway? Well, then you aren't allowed to fight at our tournament anymore".
    Which basically would probably **** off the fighters and make them leave.

Doesn't seem to be a good plan :eek:

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ridiculous decision - I predict a hasty retraction within a week due to the backlash

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

seems like a bad decision to me.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Bloody stupid.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Has anyone actually checked that this is true? Sounds pretty unlikely to me.

7. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

I hope this is wrong. The more I do Judo the more I feel like attempting BJJ classes and I am sure the opposite is also true. Seems a shame if they move forward with this. Not that I am thinking about going for a competition atm but I am competitive and ever since beginning Judo I'«ve been feeling the old competition bug setting in...

8. holyheadjch

Can't find a second source, so it just looks like click bait to me.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i looked on the ijf website. there was nothing in the news about it.

10. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

To be fair I don't think it is something they would put on their website.

Implementing a policy that tells people they can't compete in other tournaments is usually something that is kept in house. Like a price hike in membership fee, it's not something you really want to advertise.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  11. holyheadjch

If it's an official policy, it would be on their website somewhere. The IJF website has been a messenger of doom for the last few years. I see no reason why they would start hiding bad news now.

12. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I do hope its not going to happen as I can't see any logic behind it. I don't think the sport stands to gain anything from it and it could potentially loose a lot of high level players.

If there is nothing on the ijf site about it and no valid reason (that I can see) then hopefully it's a misunderstanding or just complete rubbish.

If it does happen then all hail the rise of freestyle judo :) it's just like competition judo but with competitors . . . oh and your not restricted to only using like half the moves jigoro Kano taught.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There is more Judo in BJJ than in judo - I can't remember the name.

Are there no better judo orgs?

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

An ex judoka friend has pointed out on facebook that they signed that deal with the ufc very recently which lends support to Holy's idea this isn't legit. Or, if it is, is an example of how they're a very dumb org.

15. holyheadjch

The IJF is the Olympic organisation, so it can do what it wants and it will still be the only one that matters. Just like FIFA.

But this story still smells like a wrestlers jock strap.

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

17. Dead_pool

That was usa judo. Not the ijf.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

19. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

You know, I have never heard of rousey before last sat rday (watched expendables 3) and now I keep hearing about her. Weird. Be it as it may, she sounds like she has a huge axe to grind. And she sounds like she is right. It is a shame that as soon as sports start to become organized, leeches find their way to the top. In Portugal fencing, athletism and football are the same. And if you look at FIFA it is just scary. FIFA is non profit and yet, it has one billion in "reserves". Big question is, how do we get rid of these people. It's like, if I don't pay to bja, I don't get insurance and can't practice. The bjc seems to be better but then, there is a lot less competition and you will not be able to participate in bja events if you don't pay. They lock themselves in monopolies that make an alternative impossible...

Damn... No wonder mma is growing. At least there this kind of politics don't exhist (though in theory I prefer the organized verdion of events as I think it is more accessible).

Sorry for the rant but as a human being I hate to see this absolute disdain for people who actually contribute to the sport.

20. Dead_pool

You should watch her judo and mma matches. Great stuff!