Will I get bloody nose in shotokan training

Discussion in 'Karate' started by madhushanka, Oct 28, 2014.

1. madhushanka

madhushanka New Member

I'm not talking about tournaments. Just abot training

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Mostly depends on the club and the partners you're with, but most forms of karate expect you to control your punches so I can't see it being very likely. Never happened to me when I was doing karate.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Martial arts are a contact sport. If you're worried about taking the occasional knock, they might not be for you.

4. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

Karate gave me bloody noses, busted lips, and the occasional broken finger or toe.......I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

5. madhushanka

madhushanka New Member

Im not asking about the whole journey. Will I get damage in the beginning. May be from beggining to 3rd kyu at least. Still don't known to fight. Then how to block a punch or a kick

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

how should we know?

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

All forms of karate, as far as I know, will ease you in to any form of combat. It's not an insane free-for-all; it's a learning process taking you from being someone who knows no karate to someone who has some skills. There is no expectation that you will be skilled or good at fighting to begin with.

Particularly in shotokan, you spend a lot of time as beginner doing "kihon kumite" in your partner drills, which isn't really sparring so much as a set of exercises in learning to judge distance, learning how long your own arms are and learning how to respond to a person throwing attacks at you, but all in a very controlled, low-danger method.

You will have done hours of this basic learning before they trust you enough to let you spar with no restrictions. Essentially, your first bunch of gradings in shotokan are there to teach you how to train without hurting your partners. Only once you've learned that do you do anything with any element of risk, in my experience.

In the longer term, you'll probably take some knocks and get the odd bloody nose, but such is the nature of martial arts. You'll very rarely be in any real danger, take any lasting damage or any real, lasting pain.

If you join a school and find that you're being placed in real danger by the training, then leave.

8. madhushanka

madhushanka New Member

Is that mean I'm not in a risk of being injured until I come to a black belt or until I learn how to block an attack ? I'm really afraid about beginning about being injured in my first few sparring sessions.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why would you be worried about a bloody nose in particular?

10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Shotokan tends to ease people into anything resembling fighting extremely slowly. No one is going to beat you up in your first few classes, if ever.

11. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

No sensible instructor will put you in a dangerous position. They may well ask you to do things you find uncomfortable though.

You should never be put into a position where you are at real risk, the speed and power other people use should be proportional to your ability to cope with it. How an individual class or instructor implements that will vary considerably.

That said there is always the slight risk of injury/mistakes. In my experience though instructors try to mitigate that risk as best as they can. After all if the whole class is broken who can they teach?

12. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

A typical class you will learn to block and guard far before you start free sparring. Keep in mind that "sparring" covers a very large range of meaning. Chances are you won't be "free sparring" for quite a while after you start.

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Potentially. You shouldn't be dumped into sparring before you know how to protect yourself anyway, but its a contact sport. It happens. And if you have a nose like mine it'll only take a graze for it to start going anyway :p

14. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Will you get a bloody nose while training shotokan?

If you're lucky.

If you end up training at one of those places where no one gets hurt at all, you've just wasted a lot of time and effort (and probably money) for nothing.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Karate dojos, in my experience, only match people with equal rank for serious sparring. (for learning purposes, you may be matched with a senior student) They normally don't ask you to free spar till you have sufficient skill to do so. Krotty kumite is one of the lowest impact sports I've seen. I don't see any reason to fear a bloody nose or any serious injury till you get to higher kyus where they allow head kicks and such.

16. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You'd hope so?

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Already been said. not likely at the start as you will mostly start in Kihon (Basics) and Ippon Kumite (one step prearranged sparring) for a while before even being allowed to spar and even when you do any senior grade worth their salt will spar at your level showing you how to score, defend and move.

Head contact is controlled but accidents do happen, its part of the training. Don't worry about it, you will be eased into it and not thrown in the deep end. Enjoy!

18. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

You're going to get injured at some point, I'd say everybody has had some form of MA related injury.

I've never had a bloody nose, but I've broken toes and twisted knees/ankles etc.

You could equally get either walking around your house, or down the street.

Don't worry about it, the more you worry about getting injured the less effective your Karate will be when the anxiety takes control.

19. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

More likely to get a broken toe. Although I did get a broken nose in controlled sparring. Foot pads are not padded enough when it hits your snoot! Yes it did bleed!:D

20. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I broke my nose playing with my puppy. Admittedly he is a 30kg staffie/american bulldog but still. You can break noses/toes/fingers easy enough doing just about anything if your unlucky or stupid enough.

Training increases that risk somewhat but fear of getting hurt should not stop anyone from training as sensible training is quite safe, your more likely to injure your self playing football or rugby or when drunk but fear rarely stops people from doing those things.