Gennady Golovkin

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by belltoller, Jul 27, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I didn't get to see Golovkin vs Geale last evening but Golovkin is becoming one of my favourites. Love to see power with a humble attitude.

Lot of people complain that he (GGG) hasn't fought any really elite fighters. Trouble is many of them refuse to get into the ring with him.

He want's a go at Miguel Cotto now. I think that would be an excellent fight to watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iBZj045ZT8"]Golovkin vs. Geale - HBO Boxing Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Golovkin is a very good fighter. Andre Ward had said they offered to fight him at 168, but apparently he turned it down. Golovkin had stated that he would fight anyone from 154-168 IIRC, I don't think Ward is the first elite he should take on though.

I don't think that Cotto is young enough to win that fight now though and tbh Cotto isn't really a MW... look for him to fight Alvarez for a 7 figure payday before fighting Golovkin for a whole lot less. Would I mind seeing it though? Nope, not at all.

I would say he should fight Quillen, but really Quillen lost one fight that he got a gift in and didn't look very good in his last fight. I really thought Floyd would have moved up and fought him for a while.

So Golovkin will remain without an elite.

3. belltoller

I didn't know GGG had turned down Andre. Ward had pretty much cleared his division and mention was made of the same regarding Glovokin but I didn't know there had been talks.

La Hoya had mentioned Glovokin as a possibility for Alvarez but with a 90% KO rate, I'm not sure how serious they are about having Canelo take that on. Cotto would do it because he's just that sort of man; but as you said, Cotto ain't a spring chicken anymore and after he fights Alvarez he may just retire.

It'd be really too bad if GGG canna find some name fights.

[EDIT] James Kirkland! lol

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. Saved_in_Blood

Canelo, Kirkland, Quillen, and likely even Cotto all get KO'd. Cotto being the more seasoned fighter (with elite competition) and just purely on his type of bulldog style would IMO be able to do the most damage because of his body punching. Golovkin has shown a very good chin, the only known time of him being knocked down was in sparring and that was with a bodyshot. Cotto is not a 160 lb fighter, though he just beat one. Sergio is very small for a MW anyway.

Yes, on Friday night fights (quite a few months ago) Ward was doing some commentary and they asked him about it and he had claimed his team had tried to get a fight with him at 168. It was apparently turned down. Ward had stated that GGG had made the claim to fight anyone from 154-168 but said (and don't quote me on this exactly) something to the effect of "I guess he didn't really mean what he said" or that "he didn't want the fight".

Ward states here that he believe that Golovkin is "ducking him" http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-ready-first-big-test-his-career--80224

Golovkin said Saturday night that his goal is to unify the 160 lb division which is great and I look forward to seeing more of his fights... but why make the claim you will fight in this or that weight class when you aren't making fights there?

Oh well, I get tired of the division hopping anyway tbh.

5. puma

puma Valued Member

I think Cotto might just take him. What about if Floyd was to step up? Would anyone favour Golovkin then?

6. Saved_in_Blood

Abel Sanchez (Golovkin's trainer) said that he believes Floyd Jr is the only one who would give Golovkin major trouble. He didn't believe Cotto would be able to do so, and Roach isn't going to put Cotto in with him IMO.

I believe 160 is just to high for Floyd though. He has never even come into a JMW fight at 154 and I don't recall him weighing that even on fight night either.

I would say the odds would be even or 2-1 Floyd.

Sadly for Golovkin, the guys that he wants to fight are smaller than him. I don't think they want much to do with Ward (rightly so). Understandably... the smaller guys are the ones who would provide the big paydays and the road to true stardom.

On a side note, Golovkin for me has not fought a very top tier fighter (because he is avoided), but he might not do as well as we all think. Hard to tell until it happens.

7. puma

puma Valued Member

Maybe he should aim for Alvarez. Canelo has a huge following that could get Golovkin's name out there a bit more. I'm not sure whether people that are "casual" fans will know too much about him.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Cotto is supposed to be fighting him (Alvarez) either in his next fight, or the one after that.

9. belltoller

Have this very odd Déjà vu for no apparent reason.

Supposedly in an interview about the upcoming Rubio fight, GGG "called out" both Canelo and Cotto - or I should say he called out Canelo or Cotto. It seemed more like it could've been a plea of desperation " Somebody. Anybody. Fight me please!", lol.

It was said, IIRC, in the context of wanting a PPV. I think he is beginning to sense there is a time urgency ( he's 32 ) and yes, one can be in a situation where one is both a great fighter and no one knows. - thanks to the Yanks and how they (we...ahem) do things. :rolleyes:

Of those two (Cotto, Alvarez) I think only Canelo to be potentially game for an eventual GGG.

Much has been said about Golovkin 'ducking' Ward - yes, he did say to the effect that he wanted nothing of Ward, but you do realise that Andre is having a bit of nastiness with legal action with his promoter and the threat of more involving possible Federal lawsuits coming down the pike.

I'm fairly certain that the rumblings of this were felt in the pro-fighter circles long before the public got wind of it. It may have had some bearing on the viability of Ward as an opponent as well as the fact that it doesn't look to be a PPV hit - in either case, who could blame Golovkin's camp for not wanting Ward just yet? About time the man began getting paid for his talents?

10. belltoller

GGG should be the mandatory for the winner of Cotto/Canelo next year

11. puma

puma Valued Member

I didn't know Ward was having problems. I thought his inactivity of late was due to his injury, although I did think he was over that. Why do these guys always get these problems?

I like both of these fights for him, but I think Cotto is more skilled, and I would like to see how Golovkin would deal with real world class skill. Alvarez is good, don't get me wrong, just maybe a little more straight forward in my opinion. Not to say he couldn't beat Cotto, but he is different. A fight between him and Golovkin would probably be a battle of wills and fire power, where Cotto would also be smart.

12. belltoller

I've linked to a Ring Magazine article. There's actually more to this and I've seen stories going back into late 2013.

Alvarez is improving in his skill areas, stretching his base - which portends well for his future. Many wouldn't in his situation.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/339947-andre-ward-2

13. Saved_in_Blood

I think that the Cotto who has fought his last 2 fights beats Alvarez down in brutal fashion. There is a lot of money to be made in a Cotto Alvarez fight, also the fact that both guys have fought Mayweather will help sell the fight even more. I also feel that Cotto could trouble Golovkin somewhat, but at 160 I don't see the need for Cotto to take the risk. Cotto doesn't do well with pressure fighters if he isn't the one applying the pressure. Golovkin has all of the tools to beat Cotto. I wouldn't be surprised if Cotto did fight him and did much better than expected because the guys that Golovkin have fought, while not terrible, are not A level fighters by any means. Cotto is small for even 154 IMO though, so fighting GGG at 160 would could easily be a 168 lb fighter would be foolish.

Yes, GGG's next opponent is Rubio, and yes he has called on 2 JMW's to fight him because he wants a payday. He has paid his dues and does deserve it yes. Cotto will fight absolutely anyone, but he is with Roach now and Manny has gone way downhill and is taking Algeri to lightly IMO, so Cotto is Roach's money maker for the next year or until he retires.

Andre Ward is indeed having promoter issues and there is a lawsuit going on that sadly is keeping him out of the prime years of his fighting career. I hate to see that for Ward.

On a side note, I wouldn't mind seeing Golovkin fight Martin Murray. Chavez wimped out on the fight with GGG and I had read that Froch may wind up in the ring with Chavez in Atlantic City or Vegas.. if not, he has said he may just retire.

That is all :)

14. belltoller

I don't think Cotto will beat down Alvarez - not to that degree; but it will certainly have its moments - I see it ending up as one of the great fights - however it goes.

You could say there were special circumstances to Cotto's inability to get the W against Trout, but I think it risky to ignore the one common denominator both fighter's share.

Cotto does have the experience behind him and it will leave Canelo bloodied but I see Canelo having slim win over Cotto.

Good analysis, as usual ;)

15. Saved_in_Blood

I see Canelo's body being beaten into submission. Cotto has a seek and destroy mentality in the ring that most fighters today do not have. Sure, they both have fought Trout with opposite results. The issue being however that both were somewhat controversial and close. Canelo's only clear cut win over top opposition is Angulo (if you really want to call him "top opposition". Cotto is a smarter fighter than most give him credit for. He wastes very few punches, he has deceptive power, great killer instinct with intelligent pressure.
    On the note of common opponents... keep in mind that Cotto gave Floyd some real problems. Canelo never troubled Floyd... not once in 12 rounds that I can recall off the top of my head. Of course styles make fights and when Cotto got away from the style that had gotten him to the top, he started taking losses, now with Roach he is back using the tools he always had, but putting them into a more compact, powerful package. As much as I am not a fan of Roach, I will say this... he does take a fighters main weapons and works them and works them over and over.. that shows in the ring. There is no sense in working as much on the punches that a fighter has shown to not be as effective with later in their career.

This is all just my opinion and I respect your analysis as well.

16. puma

puma Valued Member

I think Canelo will be at least competitive with any fighter out there without the ridiculous nickname "Money". Seriously, what happened to the days of people being known as "bonecrusher" or the "dark destroyer" or whatever. Floyd's previous was "pretty boy" for heavens sake! Anyway......

As said before, I would like to see both Cotto and Alvarez take on Golovkin, but I think Murray was a decent shout as well.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  17. belltoller

Sounds good to me. I thought maybe Canelo's single, increasingly harder and more accurate as the round(s) wear on would be his knight-in-armour but you've had me to re-think it.

18. belltoller

"Cash-Only" ?

"Hard Currency" ?

"Pay Day" ?

"Nevada Dough Man" ? lol

I'd like to see GGG with either of those, SIB's almost convinced me that Golovkin would have a tougher time with Cotto than I'd previously thought, however.

Too long to wait :(

19. Saved_in_Blood

We won't ever see that fight my friend ;) We'll get Cotto Alvarez maybe either the end of this year or early next. I wouldn't expect Cotto to take a risk in losing a fight to Golovkin considering it wouldn't be near an 8 figure payday like an Alvarez fight. Making 10+ million would take a bit of sting off a loss to Alvarez worst case scenario.

20. belltoller

I think you're right about that. Still hope to see Canelo/GGG - though Cotto vs Golovkin would be more intriguing.

My "too long to wait" refering to Cotto/Alvarez. May 2015 or therabouts, right?