Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

the one where i put the bar overhead :p

i pretty much enjoy them all equally, as they're all awesome.

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

My turn then:

What got you into weightlifting in the first place? And what drives you to keep going now?

3. Fish Of Doom

as in training or as in oly lifting?

training = direct order from the physio who saw my borked shoulder. oly = fun.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Who doesnt enjoy being strong or learning new skills?

I love feeling of speed from olympic lifting. the explosion is awesome

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

True dat.

To be fair though I tend to find when talking to people who don't lift (or do any kind of training that might make them stronger in general) that while they like the idea of being strong, they often don't want to put the effort in to be strong. If that makes sense.

Just thought I'd ask :).

I'd love to try Oly lifting at some point but I'm not going to try it without someone actually give me pointers on how to Oly lift.

6. Fish Of Doom

well, pretty much all people, with very probably no exceptions, have a LOT of things that we don't do simply because we can't be assed to do them, even if we'd like the results.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Yeah. the effort is hard.
    Personally i can only be bothered training when i have a gym with bumper plates and people to train with.
    When I had a coach it was much more fun to train because my coach is such an great person

8. Fish Of Doom

i'll second that. i socialize a lot more at the box than i ever did at any gym, inasmuch as i could be said to overtly socialize (which isn't much, mind you :p), and the sheer amount of equipment they have means that no matter what i want to do, there's probably a way i can just go and do it, and as a consequence i'm training heaps more than i did before, plus the crazy-ass ukrainian who coaches me is an awesome dude who's almost as insane as i am, training-wise (first day back after a 2-year layoff due to 6 herniated discs he pulls a 100kg hang snatch, and one week later he does 10 with 90kg, plus regular random shenanigans such as empty bar 100rep warm-ups in-between different lifts, randomly picking up and overhead pressing an atlas stone, and i even got him to test his current max ohp on friday :p)

9. Fish Of Doom

saturday potato:

1.5h weightlifting:
    nearly forgot to log saturday's session. more weightlifting with pedro, this time extended since he had two consecutive classes booked. squats (up to 100 for 2x3, then did 1x20 with 80), clean pulls with slow first and second pull (up to 4x4 with 100), then jumps with 30kg.

10. Fish Of Doom

wannabe strong potato:

1.5h weightlifting:
    went early, did some snatch work (pull is improving after changing some cues but now i need to readapt my catch to the new pull :p), then pedro arrived and i did some weighted jumping, some cleans (same deal) and some front squats.

one-arm two-kb row:
    40kg 1x10
    44kg 1x5
    after lifting, i did random stuff while bantering with the staff and watching strongman videos, did a bunch of two-kb one-arm rowing, of which i'm only logging this, and fooled around with the 16kg clubbell a bit more. getting quite a bit stronger with it, which is pretty cool.

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Nice! Is there a particular method to your madness (on the days you don't work with Pedro)? /curious For example, as of late I've adopted a routine given to me by a trainer at my gym geared toward the activities I enjoy. I just add in oly lifts on Friday as a bonus.

12. Fish Of Doom

put things overhead. pull things, have fun.

13. Fish Of Doom

limp potato:

ohp:
    35kg 1x5
    40kg 1x4
    47.5kg 1x3
    52.5kg 1x2
    55kg 1x1
    57.5kg 1x1
    60kg 1x1
    50kg 1x10
    so i opted for a strong-15 long cycle rather than the short one. i have JUST about enough time to try to get to 80kg by new year, and the progression will be a lot smoother. should be pressing about 2-3x a week, ideally, which should help, but it's no biggie if i don't get more than one anyway (as far as i can tell, you don't strictly need more than one per week for the program, plus i get tons of regular overhead work with the weightlifting). was weak as hell today though, so gonna take it easy and try to eat and sleep a ton until friday-ish (got very little time to train on thursdays and i got D&D tomorrow anyway).

back squat:
    60kg 1x5
    80kg 2x5
    90kg 3x4
    pedro's stuff. besides the weakness, head wasn't in the right place, so winged it on the intensity a bit and did what i could (i'm probably half-destroyed from yesterday's 90x6-7-ish on front squats, judging by the DOMS on my mid-back and from how tight my quads were today).

snatch balance:
    35kg 1x6
    42.5kg 1x6
    47.5kg 2x4
    50kg 2x3
    had a few stability issues, but the weight wasn't anything to write home about and my hips and ankles had had plenty of time to unbork themselves, so i managed (and they're less psychologically demanding than back squats). skipped push presses and jumps and went home.

14. Fish Of Doom

amused potato:

1h weightlifting:
    lifting with pedro before D&D. some snatching (confirmed that my pull improved, now just gotta focus more on adjusting everything else to the new bar path) and a lot of snatch balances (managed up to 75, then did a bunch of back-offs), while pedro spent more or less the full hour competing in random stuff with the box's headcoach, much to our amusement (iirc it was max bench press 10-rep sets with 60kg, tabata pull-ups and planks, tabata handstand hold and dead hang, and possibly a couple other things)

15. Fish Of Doom

ass-to-potato:

back squat:
    60kg 1x5
    80kg 1x5
    90kg 2x5
    100kg 3x4
    80kg 1x25
    worked out on a thursday again! WOO! pedro's squats plus a totally gratuitous and unnecessary back-off AMRAP :D

16. Fish Of Doom

the sort of stuff that happens when i play around to try to unwind after a crappy lifting session: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ikKsSlEUCk"]lol-ups - YouTube[/ame]

:p

(lifting yesterday was horrible, and today+tomorrow i'm doing a weightlifting and gymnastics course with pedro and one of the national oly gymnastics team members. will update when i can be arsed to)

17. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

haha, I like the way you walk satisfied towards the camera. :p

18. Fish Of Doom

it was pretty much the only thing that went well that day :p

19. Fish Of Doom

monday potato:

1h weightlifting:
    lifting with pedro. highlights: 60kgx2 hang snatch, 90kgx4 front squat. hip inflammation seems to be almost gone, which means much better, pain-free, squatting, which is awesome. didn't log friday because the session was awful (pedro had to leave early and i was weak as hell). on the weekend i did a lifting+gymnastics course with pedro and a local olympic gymnast, which was damn cool.

ohp:
    37.5kg 1x5
    40kg 1x4
    47.5kg 1x3
    52.5kg 1x2
    55kg 1x1
    57.5kg 1x1
    60kg 1x1
    62.5kg 1x1
    52.5kg 1x10
    strong-15 week 2. accidentally did a single with 55 (first single from week 1). derp. felt slightly heavy, but meh, it was monday and i have time to repeat it once or twice before week 3.

lying external rotation (with plate):
    4.5kg 1x20
    during the aforementioned course we established that my external rotation is absolute crap, so i'll try to start doing these and see what happens.

ghd back extension:
    1x10
    20kg 1x10
    30kg 1x10
    40kg 1x10
    ghd extensions (not actually hyperextensions, just to neutral with engaged abs and glutes) with barbell from the hang (not on neck).

20. Fish Of Doom

new day yesterday potato:

tuesday:

back squat:
    20kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5
    40kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5
    60kg 1x5
    70kg 1x4
    80kg 1x4
    90kg 1x4
    100kg 1x4
    tuesday workout, logged super late because derp (also uni schedule and no electricity in my apartment)

snatch balance:
    40kg 1x6
    45kg 1x6
    52.5kg 1x4
    55kg 1x3
    recovery week", or so the program says.

wednesday:

1h weightlifting:
    weightlifting with pedro. snatches, cleans, overhead lockouts highlights: 60x3 snatch, 80x3 clean, 140 overhead lockout (no hold, but got it up)

ohp:
    35kg 1x5
    40kg 1x4
    47.5kg 1x3
    52.5kg 1x2
    57.5kg 1x1
    60kg 1x1
    62.5kg 1x1
    52.5kg 1x10
    another go at week 2 of strong-15. my absolute lack of arm endurance is gonna kill me on the AMRAPs, so i might try for something like 3x5 if i see i'm lagging behind too much on the heavier weights later on.

snatch grip front raise from squat... thingy:
    20kg 5/5/10
    snatch grip, from the bottom a squat. klokov assistance exercise. preceded by some random external rotation work.

~40min stretching:
    a whole bunch of leg stretching, since i had nothing better to do.