What Really Causes Heart Disease

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GSHAMBROOKE, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Opiates in chronic pain isnt always a bad idea, if there managed correctly. And thats a big if.

Isnt wierd how people dont mind taking supplements, but drug treatments that are proven effective people hate.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i personally don't see the problem getting pain medication. if it helps you get through the day and helps manage the pain. there's risks with any drug treatment. sure.

the only time i received opiates was after my acl replacement surgery. i was glad to have them then, but also glad i was done with them.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That's often the result of what's demonised in a society and what isn't. Subtle shifts in what's considered 'right-thinking' occur from place to place.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  4. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

It's not obvious enough for you already?

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

No it isn't. Please give us a little evaluation of the paper. Pro and cons so to speak of the methodology and what information can be be taken to this argument.

6. Giovanni

I actually did read it. Did you? Because I don't think it says what you think it says. You made some very specific statements. My favorite was that doctors are getting their patients hooked for repeat business.

So yes I'd love to hear why this paper is relevant to the points you're trying to make.

7. Saved_in_Blood

It's not like doctors will admit that they want people to get hooked on the stuff... don't be dumb. Most claim that opiates can cause longer recovery time and a study on morphine actually shows this. Of course this isn't the same problem as in the great UK

8. Giovanni

did you read the paper sib?

9. Saved_in_Blood

Yes I did

10. Giovanni

Then tell me the point you're making and how the paper supports it. Because I don't know what I'm debating anymore. I'm sorry I'm slow today. Lol

Edit. Not debating discussing :)

11. Saved_in_Blood

I must say the high and mighty attitudes are out in force in this section. Any of you all have loved ones who are hooked on opiates? I do, and mine never took them before a doctor handed them out. Any of you see what it does to their kids? In my case my 6 year old niece. My sisters doctor has her on 15 mg of oxycodone 4x a day. Know what it does? Makes her doped and not hardly able to stay awake. I don't need a paper or "proof" of what it does.. her last do tor had his medical license revoked, and her current do tor us aware of the problem, but still hands them out every month. 120 pills that are doing nothing to improve her condition... she just gets by in a fog daily, do please spare me all of your superiority complexes about "proof" as it would seem that those as smart as all of you might just recognize that many times traditional treatments don't always work, or perhaps they don't want them to do so.

12. Giovanni

oof.

the paper does actually mention comorbidity of narcotic treatments. there is a risk to any drug treatment. that's the thing about drugs, there's always a risk. but there's also a benefit that the risk has to be weighed against. your sister daughter, if she's not on pain medication, is she in pain? can she function without the medication? have other treatments failed or been successful? what is the reason she's still on the oxycodone?

anecdotally, i get it. after my acl surgery and after my shoulder labrum arthroscopy, i was put on oxycontin. i needed the pain medication to get past the pain post-op, but realized that the drug was making me depressed. which is why i was happy to be done with the drug. but in my case, the reward was that i could get past the pain of surgery, the risk was depression, which i did feel. my wife, who i had just met after my shoulder surgery, thought i didn't like her because she visited me in a drugged up state.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

It's not high and mighty as much as wanting to have a reasonable discussion about the problems in medicine in various countries yet one guy posts studies without a description

It's like those annoying thread started who post YouTube vids with no explanation of why.

If you can't put the effort in to evaluate a study and atleast explain the contents to us, why would we click on the link?

It's one of the issues with science - not communicating ideas properly or in the write way. If you want to help fix medicine you can start by changing people's minds by communicating well and not just post random studies.

14. Giovanni

interestingly, we started from "what starts heart disease" to comorbidity of narcotic pain medication. lol. love the internet.

15. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

"Are you happy to see me or is that a bottle of oxycodone in your pocket?" :jester:

Its the manner in which we roll.

===

SIB, I do know people who, like your sister, seemed to be hopelessly hooked on pain meds and their lives seem to be going in endless circles as a result.

I also know people who have injury and are suffering quite badly because the physicians refuse to administer effective pain medications due to the current hysteria ( justified or not ) surrounding opiate administration.

Sometimes it seems that every issue in the States has to polarised between one extreme or the other. :dunno:

Expanding on Zaad's question regarding your sister trying alternative treatments, has she ever tried epidurals or other, more modern pain blocking/management therapies?

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If shes in a fog then she should think about reducing her dose a little or trying other medicines, unless you know her medical history inside and out, your understanding of her situation will be less then her own and drs understanding.
    People with chronic pain may very well be addicted, but they're also in pain, wishfull thinking and juice doesnt deal with this.

17. Saved_in_Blood

She's been to chiropractor, she's had 4 series of cortisone shots over the course of a year and a half which has probably destroyed more than its helped, She's had MRIS and xrays, none of the doctors she has seen basically know what they are doing. No pt has been recommended, they claim surgery is to dangerous, so they just keep on collecting on the opiates and the shots.

18. Saved_in_Blood

Look up the rate of deaths or addiction of opiates vs supplements and get back to me.

19. Giovanni

my sympathies to your sister and her daughter that she is still in pain and the doctors in question can't figure it out. what's she been diagnosed with? the simple fact of the matter is that we've all got something wrong with us, and some of us are in a lot of pain. as you allude, whatever the condition is is scaring the doctors away from surgery. and now seemingly two doctors have tried to at least make the little girl comfortable.

have any "supplements" been tried? what about non-traditional treatments? and do you have any non-traditional or supplements you have in mind? and have those been shown to be efficacious to treat whatever your niece has?

20. Giovanni

again anecdotally, my sister in law has severe gi issues. she sometimes has had to deal with pain and inflammation. she's been on drugs for most of her life and sometimes the disease flares up. there's really nothing any doctor can do except try to make her comfortable when an attack happens. and there is a risk with steroids and pain meds, but at least she can function while an attack is happening. might not be in the best mood, but the doctors try to manage her pain and inflammation with the drugs at hand.