HATRED - exceptionally violent - don't know what to think about this......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hannibal, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Devils advocate: what's wrong with sprites raping sprites?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In societal terms even killing - albeit not spree killing granted - has a place and arguable a necessity in certain circumstances; rape does not

It is another arbitrary distinction of sorts, but one that I have no ambivalence on

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's illegal and immoral, in both cases, no?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

For sure - killing is not always immoral though...although clearly the basis for "Hatred" is...and again it is so hard to wrap my head around

It IS sprites on sprites and it IS just another shooter...so the only think making it distasteful is the story/intent...which makes it dangerously close to being a "thought crime"

I really have no answer on this

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm pretty stumped as well actually.

Other than deciding I'm not going to buy the game.

I don't even think I'd join in any potential calls for censorship on this one even though I feel it is utterly tasteless.

Hmm, it's a puzzler allright.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm struggling to come up with an answer too. Haven't decided if that's utterly depressing or not.

7. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

I dont have a problem with violence. But its usually against zombies, aliens or criminals trying, and theres a reason for it. Here theres no justifiable reason, and now yiu mention it yes, I think the fact that you targeteting innocent people has a lot o do with it.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Meh.

It's just Postal with better graphics.

If it gets banned, the publishers will have scored a PR victory.

Anyone who knows about people who kill know that they can get inspiration from the most unlikely sources. Often very innocent-seeming ones.

This thread is already adding to their profit.

9. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I'm not a gamer, so take MHO with a grain of salt. According to the developers' FB page: https://www.facebook.com/destructivecreationsteam the game has no plot. The only point is to virtually murder a bunch of people. Pretty tasteless to me, but modern art fans will like it.

10. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

This is sure to get banned as it just seems to be violence for violence's sake. I'm not normally into video game censorship, but I can't say it will bother me in this case.

11. LemonSloth

But since games like Mortal Kombat and the like are perfectly allowable, I'm not sure it will get banned. It'll probably be one of those cult games that lots of people want to try just to see what the outrage is about.

I'm also not convinced that censorship is the most appropriate route in this case either, personally.

12. boards

Mortal Kombat was a fighting game that involved competition showing a rediculously large amount of violence. The violence and blood was so over the top that it was in no way realistic, and during the fighting the violence has no effect on the game play (aside from the Finish Him!!!!).
    It's a legitimate fighting game that uses violence as a flavour. This just seems to be violence against the public with no plot according to what matveimediaarts said.

13. Southpaw535

Mortal Kombat also has considerable lore beneath the surface. I don't think this'll be banned just because I think it'll be a digital only release and good luck banning those. I don't think those games even have to submit themselves for rating?

If they do then whether its banned or not will depend if its public knowledge. Manhunt 2 was banned for a time after all. Although Punisher wasn't and that game has some violence too.

14. LemonSloth

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to suggest that Mortal Kombat should be banned or have a dig at it, but it is a fair example of how obscene levels of violence can still get the go ahead. While it may be over the top, it's still pretty graphic and gory.

I think the only reason this one seems a bit off is the setting more than anything else. It's nothing we haven't actually seen before when you think about it. Replace human civilians with gribbly monster civilians and make the excuse that aliens are inhabiting our world and suddenly the game becomes pretty much fine.

15. boards

But that is the entire point. FPS's usually involve an active enemy who are attempting to kill you. You can't just walk around in COD and not have the Nazis try to kill you, or the zombies not try to eat you in Res Evil etc. Mortal Kombat the violence is against someone trying to do the same to you. You are fighting an active enemy, not an innocent civilian begging for mercy. Even in the modern COD games where you capture an enemy, the killing scenes after that are a cut scene which pulls away from the death. Yeah you can kill civilians in GTA but in this game you seem to actively get rewarded for doing that which is different.

It's not the head shots, its the targeting of non combatants with extreme violence for kicks and glorifying it.

It's the difference between a ground and pound in MMA and bashing a kids head against the ground in the street.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  16. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

They weren't innocent. I judged them to be guilty and carried out their execution. Jericho made me do it :woo: Then i shot them when they became ghouls and undead.

Baza

17. Southpaw535

I blew it up too don't worry. I figured they couldn't argue about whether people should live there if there's no where left to live.

18. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I just didn't like Gob. So Megaton had to pay the ultimate price for giving him shelter. Plus it looked cool and so do mini nukes!!

Baza

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I agree, that the game seems to be rather tasteless but I also agree that in the end it's just that: A game.

I don't remember which user it was (sorry, to lazy to check right now), but one made a list of stuff he already in games, and that kind of is the point, isn't it?
    It's okay, to kill Germans in WW2 games, to slaughter zombies, dismember aliens, ... and the list goes on and on.
    Another point I totally agree with.

I can totally understand that the problem here is, that you're killing the average Joe on his way to work or whatever, and as I said it's a bit tasteless.
    But at the same point it's being a bit hypocrite.

Tough call in the end, because it sure is a border crossed most games don't even get close too.

One thing I admit though: If the game were free I would actually try it, to see how the devs make it "feel" like.
    (I wouldn't pay for a game like that though, so I won't end up playing it. I have more then enough to play anyway)
    And that comes from a person, who actually hates to play the bad guys in games. Usually I only do that to get the trophies on my my Ps3 :D