Promoted!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Korpy, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Big day for me today!

I was finally promoted to purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu! My journey has been a long and bumpy one but I am so happy that I have finally reached this point. Long story ahead...

I have been a blue belt for quite a few years now. I was originally under Carlson Gracie, and was a wrecker. Submitting people in MMA and winning gold at local Jiu Jitsu tournaments. Back in 2010, my mom got real sick and I had to stop training. I went to college and dealt with the passing of my mom. The desire to train was there, but mentally I was not able to.

Fast forward to 2015, I re-connected with a good friend who owned an MMA/BJJ gym and started training again. After getting back in shape, honing my skills and adding new ones, I started tearing up the local scene again. In the last year, I have taken gold (1st place) in three separate tournaments, fighting 20-40lbs above my weight, and took silver in the last tournament I did, fighting at once again, 30lbs above my weight. All the people I've competed against have been purples (and in one case, a brown belt who I submitted).

Today the UFC event is in Chicago, and I went into the gym to get some rolls with my teammates. Jason Chambers (BJJ black belt, retired MMA fighter and former host of the Human Weapon) was in town for the UFC, and stopped by to watch our team train (he is good friends with my coach). After watching me roll for a straight hour, doing a gauntlet, he surprised me with a purple belt. I was in shock. I had no clue that I was going to be promoted.

I then got to roll with him, and he destroyed me pretty easily lol. But still, I am just so happy. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a huge part of my life and I am excited to finally wrap this purple belt around my waist and compete.

Cheers ya'll!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent news Korpy.

The journey continues.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Woop woop! Excellent bro! Keep on rollin'! :D

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! I am most happy for you!:happy:

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

That's an incredible story! Congrats!

6. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Cool story, bro! Ya done me proud. :) ~applauds~ btw, what kyu is that in BJJ? It's 3rd in karate and kobudo. (orange-yellow-purple-etc)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  7. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Congrats man! that is a super accomplishment.

Was there any belt whipping involved? The other night I was show the ideal method to fold the belt for BJJ belt whipping, so just curious.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Welldone :)

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Nice one bro!
    There's a massive target on your back now for the white belts!

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's the third belt in the promotion series. However it's considered loosely to be a black belt if it was another art because purplease belts are *strictly speaking* allowed to teach.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thanks ya'll! It's great to hear awesome things from my MAP brothers.

I didn't get whipped or anything. Honestly, I thought I was gonna get some stripes, but instead I was promoted straight from blue to purple. Jason Chambers even referred to me as a gangster with my butterfly guard lol.