Favorite Boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Hi.

First thread (technically 2nd), figured I might as well make one to get a feel for you guys.

Here's my idea: who is the best boxer of the last 200 years, and why.

For me its got to be Joe Frazier.

Here is why!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWYnTFz9PE"]Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier I: Round 15 (Knockdown.) - YouTube[/ame]

2. the artist

the artist Valued Member

mohammed ali, mike Tyson, rocky Marciano and Floyd mayweather Jr.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Floyd is a favorite of mine, but he has physical gifts that allow him to be who he is. If any of you have ever heard of Vasyl Lomachenko, I encourage you to watch him. He has had 395 or so amateur fights and in only his third pro fight he is now a world champion. He wanted to go right for a title shot and after fighting an extremely dirty opponent in Orlando Salido in a fight he was coming back in, he lost that fight.

A few weeks ago he fought Gary Russell Jr., who himself has been an up and coming fighter who is very good. Lomachenko easily defeated Russell in a fight that showed boxing fundamentals almost to perfection. Fast footwork and pivots all over. Fast hands... just a great overall packaged fighter. Just a great display of boxing.

Hatton will always be one of my favorites just because he got me started.

Cotto is another solid fundamental fighter.

Bradley, tough as nails and what he lacks in skill, he makes up with heart. I just can't pick an absolute favorite.

4. puma

puma Valued Member

Roy Jones has to be the most talented. In his prime he was just ridiculous. If he retired after the Ruiz fight his legend would have just grown and grown. But he screwed that up big time. It would have been interesting if he was in his prime now, how many PPV's he would have done. I watch a video of him every now and then because we forget sometimes over time how great some of these guys were. I watched a Jones tape, followed by Mayweather, just to compare. I am a huge Floyd fan, but I think if both are in their prime, fighting on the same night, same time, I'd watch Jones and record Mayweather.

Mayweather is the hardest working fighter probably ever. Not in the amount of bouts, but in his dedication. And I think he is the most knowledgeable about his craft. Yeah, Leonard was fast, Hagler hard, Tyson powerful, Whittaker impossible to hit, etc, but I've never seen anyone switch it up like Mayweather can. Some guys are good at certain things, but when it doesn't work, they just do the same thing regardless. They can't change. Floyd always adapts. Being at the top for as long as he has in this day and age, always fighting good fighters regardless of what some say, really takes some doing. And he is tough, which often gets overlooked.

I also loved Naz. He gets a bad rep, but his record was incredible, and even in the land of outrageous characters, he was outrageous. What an entertainer! Not as technically sound as say Mayweather, but you never knew what was coming next. And boy could he whack!

There are too many to mention really.

But surely the greatest of all time is Tyson Fury, right?

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Mine is a "usual suspects" list -

Joe Louis, Evander Holyfield, RJJ, Sugar Ray Robinson, Marvin Hagler

My "not so usual" list includes

Harry Grebb, Winky Wright, Gene Tunney

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I wish I followed boxing more so I could be cool like you guys.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Just been watching back some early Nassem Hamed videos.

Not quite a great, but boy he was good before he started to believe his own hype.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, I did forget to add Wright to my list. Winky was so avoided he didn't get many of the big fights. Oscar would never fight him and to my knowledge Floyd also avoided him.

9. Hannibal

Pure poetry to watch!

I may also add "Big" Joe Joyce to my list too........ :D

10. Saved_in_Blood

Indeed. Wright's total domination of Trinidad was absolutely amazing. Hence why Oscar wanted none of that lol.

11. Hannibal

winky was seen as a God in Manchester - made a series of high profile defenses over there against Ensley Bingham and Steve Foster and had a hero's welcome every time - a class act

12. Saved_in_Blood

sadly he lost his last fight to Quillen under PED accusations after Quillen wouldn't submit to random testing... AFTER he said he would. His samples? They were destroyed, go figure.

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Great boxers all around, thank you. George is another favorite of mine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US6DTnZJ9AY"]George Foreman Best Knockouts - YouTube[/ame]

14. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Yeah I like Winky, especially because of his charity work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwpvh6qehpA"]HBO Boxing: Winky Wright's Greatest Hits (HBO) - YouTube[/ame]

15. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

For me, "favorite" and "best" are two different things. Joe Frazier and Carmen Basilio are two of my favorite boxers, but I think their opponents Ali and Robinson (respectively) were better technical boxers with better legacies.

But for favorites: Frazier, Basilio, Willie Pep, Henry Armstrong, Mike Tyson, Marvin Haggler, Jack Dempsey, Pernell Whitacker, Bernard Hopkins, and Archie Moore. A collection of defensive geniuses, savy veterans, and hard-nosed aggressors.

16. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

I always liked that black dude that could punch quite hard but was good at defense too, anybody give me a clue on his name?

17. Saved_in_Blood

You will never be cool like us... you are to young

18. Saved_in_Blood

Winky was just one of those guys who no one really wanted to fight until he showed a little bit of age, even then his shell defense was so hard to crack most still didn't want to fight him. However, if you watch his fight with Vargas (a fight I think he did win) you see why back then no one wanted to fight him. Thankfully Mosley gave him a shot (no pun intended) and that was a brave move for him and then the rematch. The Trinidad fight was just an awesome display of how to beat a guy with almost nothing but a jab. Tito just had no answer ... period.

The fight with Taylor he should have won though it was close, had Winky fought a guy like Martinez even when he was prime back then he would have beaten him as well, IMO of course. He's just gotten ripped off quite a bit in his career. He and Glen Johnson are both guys who have proven themselves time and again. Crowd pleasing is more important to the networks instead of absolute skill in Winky's case, so he never got all of the big fights he could have gotten vs. Oscar, Floyd, etc.

19. Hannibal

Jack Johnson

20. Saved_in_Blood

A lot of them? Liston, Foreman, Tyson, Louis, SRR, etc take your pick lol