Things that make you go GRRRRR.... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhea, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yesterday was my scheduled 5-year check up on my hip replacement. It is doing fine. But they x-ray both hips and the "healthy" right one ain't looking too healthy. Doc said there were signs of degradation (caused by a combination of the same injury that wiped out my left hip, and my body compensating for the structural differences between both joints). So I'm booked in for an arthroscopy in the new year, but he said to expect surgery next year (most likely just a resurfacing, but potentially a replacement). My only thoughts at the minute are "goodbye martial arts career". Probably being melodramatic. But I only got my ankle cast off last week (for my achilles tendon surgery), so my calf is weak and tight as hell. Hobbling around on crutches at the minute. :bang:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Dan, I hope things work out for you.

What is the hip, metal or ceramic and does it make a difference?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well that puts my sore bollocks into perspective. So to speak.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Had those well underway even before my trip to the vets. :)

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ceramic. Life expectancy is much greater than titanium. I've never had a problem with it, although I became conservative in my training to increase that longevity.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Did they replace your organic ones with prosthetics? If they did, you could say you have brass balls. Literally.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Massive grrrrr....why oh why do some of the main lyrics in "Let it go" from Frozen go....

"Let it go, let it go.
    I am one with the wind and sky."

????? Eh? CLEARLY it should go "Let it go, let it go. I am one with the wind and SNOW"!!
    SNOW! That damn film is called Frozen!
    That's what my brain tells me to sing every time I'm singing along and so I get it wrong every time.
    Forget world hunger, poverty and terrorism. This needs to change right away. As a priority.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My wife just left a camera memory card in a photo machine and when she went back it was gone. With all the photos of our son gone too. Not backed up anywhere. That's it. We've got maybe 20-30 of him on our phones for his first year alive but nothing else.
    Absolutely gutted.
    People are scum. Who takes a memory card worth like £5? When they know there will be photos people value on it?

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Had a very crappy couple days all revolving around my teeth. Which I brought on myself for not looking after them for like 19 years but whatever.

Had a visit with the dentist yesterday because of toothache, expected to be told I was going to lose a few so was pleasantly surprised that she couldn't find much wrong and decided it's probably an infection. With that happy news I went back to training only to lost a chunk of an already broken tooth after landing on someone's hip off a takedown.

Went to the dentist again today to get a patch up done on that tooth so I can eat and it was all kinds of fun. Firstly she ignored me saying the anaesthetic didn't work (and I at least already knew from last time that they have to do it a couple times to work on me) and decided to start drilling my tooth anyway until I could get her attention to say it hurt. Then went through the whole procedure with me trying not to shake too much given the fact dentists scare the ever loving crap out of me to the extent that once I got home I had a mini-breakdown for five minutes. And that was over a quick temporary dressing/filling thing for a cracked tooth and I know I need to have at least 5 proper fillings done at some point that I genuinely don't see how I'm going to cope with. Was on the verge of losing my poop having this patch up one done let alone 5 actual fillings.

And then she essentially left me in the wind with no idea what's happening next with it. I'm aware I have an appointment in January but for what I have no idea. And as icing on the cake I just checked the mirror and noticed I have a flap of skin dangling from my tongue where she's somehow sliced through it.

I'm not in a happy mood basically and GRR doesn't quite do it justice.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Can't you just get them to knock you out with the really nice gas? ... And you need to get a better dentist.

11. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

a patch o' your tongue hanging where she'd sliced through it? :eek:

[​IMG]

Cor...I'd of had no time for that. A new dentist for certain.

My oral surgeon told me that he was having lunch with his partner, who'd done work on me previously, was complaining that even with laughing gas, my reflexes were such that I'd given him a kick during the procedure and was constantly trying to come out of the chair. They decided on oral Pentobarbital, an I.V. of a hypnotic sedative as well as the nitrous oxide.

I must've whacked him good, lol.

A decent first rate dental surgeon won't put you through what you're going through.

You need a new one.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The one in got put in doesn't use it. My understanding is Portsmouth is very lacking in spaces at dentists so we took what we could get. Plus I'm waiting on my form for free treatment to be processed which means if I went to a private dentist who could use gas I probably couldn't afford it. What I am hoping is the amount of work it seems I need combined with my reaction today will get me into a hospital to get it all done under general, but we'll see.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Imagine the day when you're old and need a knew hip and it's all being done by the privet sector. ... You could always relocate a bit further to the north. :D

14. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Wow awesome 2 days :) yesterday I received an unexpected utility bill for £110. Apparently I have been undercharged for 18months and hey only just decided to tell me. They claim I have received 2 previous letters about this so this one have me 7 days notice to pay before my supply is cut off (letter dated dec16 arrived 20dec). I have seen neither of those letters leaving only a few options
    1, they are lying
    2, my wife hid/lost them
    3, I need a new postman
    Not exactly what I needed for Christmas but cheers anyway npower :)

Today when walking my dogs my lurcher decided to split her pad open (lurchers are notoriously injury prone). Not a bad injury realy (easily managed at home) but requires lots of bandages and antiseptic wipes, neither is free.

We then noticed that my wife split her wellies open at the heel, pretty vital bit of kit if your walking dogs in winter in the UK. Not a huge expense but yet another one I didn't need right now.

Wonder what can go wrong next lol.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My cat just had a massive bowel opening that smells like warm car sick, so now I have to get out of bed to scoop it up.

#NotHappy

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I wanted to give everyone an update on my injured classmates. They stopped by the school yesterday! Right in the middle of sparring class. The whole class stopped to talk to them! It was great!

Ms. S*** had a brace on her neck, but otherwise you wouldn't even know she was injured! She looked great! I took the advice here and reiterated that my offer still stands and that they only need call me anytime and I would come by to help them if they needed anything. It turns out the rumor I heard was true. She insisted on doing the 24 form in the hospital.

Mr. S**** seemed in pretty good shape overall, but he had a walker and some sort of medical assistant following him. You could see the wear and tear of the situation on his face. Still, considering he had had major surgery just before the accident, and was healing from multiple broken ribs, he seemed do be doing pretty well too!

I gave her a big (gentle) hug and a huge handshake to him. What an awesome thing to see them both!

She is itching to get back to training asap! But Sifu told her he needs to know the guidelines from her doctor first!

What a great holiday gift to see them!

17. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Got a nice stomach bug for Christmas, while travelling. It's so much harder to rush to the toilet when the next one is 40 km away. Feeling much better now, thankfully.

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

That's fantastic news Aaradia, glad to hear it sounds like they're on the mend :)

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

[​IMG]

Adverts like this^ for women's sports equipment.

This is an advert for a pair of MMA shorts and yet the pose looks like something from a dodgy lingerie shot. I am so sick and tired of the use of the 'sexy, taking off your clothing' pose for female kit. If I want a pair of MMA shorts, the last thing I want to see is some model apparently easily pulling them down. It doesn't fill me with confidence about how they'll stay on when I'm rolling in them.

Why can't women have action picture of women grappling in the kit or just a shot of the shorts, like the men do. Why does it have to be dodgy 'sexy' photos?

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

MAP follows a lot of female MMA fighters on MAP and Twitter and some of the photographs have you wondering if they're fighters or glamour models.

Nothing wrong with a glamour pose, but you are right about the suggestive pulling down of the shorts.