move of the day: trials and tribulations

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Giovanni, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

today we had no-gi class. the move of the day was a kind of closed guard sweep: you have your opponent in closed guard, he/she stands up, you hook your arm by an ankle, do a back roll over that arm, and do a kind of reverse low single leg.

anyway, rolling with a purple belt today. he stood up when i had him in guard, i went for it, and ended up in a crucifix. basically, he was waiting for someone to try it. which is fine. i always go for the move of the day that day, even though people are expecting it. i think there's no better way to train. lately, i've been writing down moves shown hoping that i have a little better retention.

my question: do you go for the move of the day, that day? and, does anyone else take notes after class? and does that help?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Always go for the move of the day, because you know that the other guy will show you how they defend it. Then next time, you can counter that defence, tap them out and strut around the room like a boss.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The above.

and also go for variations of the move of the day, fake the shoulder roll and pull single leg x or a kneebar to sweep!

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I'll try and work it in. You can do it by fake but if you're good enough at the deception, or you've drilled the movement well enough it's even more fun to get them even though they know it's coming :evil:

For me this has always been a big key to picking out exactly what I understand and what I don't so I can ask technical questions. It is great to go back and review though. Look at your notes before class an pick another move to work in while rolling. That's your move of the day, you get to do a little in class review and practice, and they won't be expecting that one.

5. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

We have a new tech focus that changes regularly and I will try to work in any new subs that are taught.

Now the key word is try and its difficult against the higher belts. I try to be deceptive and set them up but I need to be more patient.

One thing I've been really working on lately and getting some success is setting up the darce from an intentionally sloppy knee on belly.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So tonight I pulled off the main thing I had been teaching in class, the two related things I run out of time to teach, and some sambo passing from leg lock positions that ive been playing with for a week or two.

I'm happiest with pulling off the thing id just taught, as everyone was expecting it.