Stronglifts 5X5 for the long term?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Starsky, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

Hi,

I have been doing the stronglifts program for around 4 weeks. Early days I know but I was wondering if this program is meant to be long term or just to build initial strength?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

there are follow-up programs that you can do (sl 3x5, then sl 1x5), and alternatives like madcow and texas method as suggested within the stronglifts material itself, or you can simply switch to another unrelated program such as 5/3/1, cube, westside, or a custom program, or stretch out the weight increases over multiple sessions.

the prs from stronglifts will dry up relatively quickly depending on pre-existing strength, but if memory serves the 5x5 as prescribed is supposed to be good for several months for an average male. which is about half a lunch break in long-term lifter years :p

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

It's only been four weeks. Keeping doing it until you aren't even making tiny amounts of progress.

No program lasts for ever. Your body adapts to stressors.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

when people say linear progression stopped working for them it means they stopped eating enough.

5. Sy81

Sy81 New Member

Ideally you would change reps and sets per workout in order to take advantage of the benefits of both low rep and high rep training. 3-5 reps = power, 5-8 is a good mix of power and hypertrophy and 12-15 (or higher in some cases depending on the muscle i.e calves) hypertrophy. I'd suggest you follow your program and record your results and most importantly get you macros sorted and train until it proves no longer effective. Then move to a higher rep range.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  6. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

How long it's good for seems to very much depend on the individual (pre-existing strength, body type, diet) then be a general rule. In the past couple of years I've stayed with a workout until I plateau, and then rotate to something new. The Stronglift's 5x5 is my new one per se - it gets a couple months to see if I get results.

The other thing you have to decide is where your focus is - the 5x5 will build up strength, but not so much in bulk (which people like me don't build easily anyway).

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I found I plateaued much earlier, and with lighter weights, with SL5x5 than I did with Wendler 5/3/1. I also really don't like Pendlay rows (or more precisely, my back doesn't) and they're one of the five core lifts of SL.

That said, if you like the program and you've only been doing it for a few weeks, you might want to stick it out another few weeks before jumping ship to another program.