Interval Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RidiculousName, Mar 22, 2015.

1. RidiculousName

RidiculousName Valued Member

I want to be able to spar lightly for twenty minutes without getting completely exhausted. I also want to continue the stronglifts 5x5 program.

I was wondering what kind of interval training would be best? WOULD interval training be best for this?

Thank you.

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

For sparring-as many different jumping and running/sprinting exercises as you can find. The allegro section in a ballet class is great cardio, and is normally done in intervals. If you can't find a class, just adapt youtube clips to what you can do. Like this: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acc5akNgImA"]Insight: Ballet Glossary - Grand allegro - YouTube[/ame]

On days I have ballet class I rarely even have to do extra cardio. :cool:

Swing dance is good too, but harder to learn and practice because it's a partner dance.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

sparring lightly for 20 minutes is going to aerobic in nature, look for a conditioning programme which is largely aerobic in nature, so steady state aerobic work, or tempo intervals if you want to go the interval route, for tempo intevazls simply google charlie francis tempos

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

A lot of the exhaustion from sparring comes from excess tension and incorrect breathing rather than a lack of fitness. Fitness will help, but learning to relax while sparring (and getting your breathing right) will help a lot more.

If you are doing intervals, then I would use intervals close to the length of the rounds you are training for, and if you want to increase the intensity personally I would suggest reducing the recovery time between rounds rather than increasing the length of each round. I assume you spar rounds rather than a continuous 20mins, mainly because I can't comprehend why you would want to spar for 20 minutes straight, or how that is an effective way to train.

However, if you are actually sparring for 20 minutes straight then you probably want to focus on doing a bit of roadwork or swimming.

5. RidiculousName

Thanks everyone. I'll work on correcting my breathing.

The mount we spar is variable but 20 minutes is the longest I've done it. We do not spar rounds. We just pause when when I am too tired. Why wouldn't that be an effective way to train?

I'd really rather not do ballet. But thank you.

6. Kave

Kave Lunatic

There a a few reasons why I don't see it as an effective way to train. Firstly, I see sparring as a training tool. The question you need to ask yourself is "what am I training for?"

If you are training for a sporting competition then you should be training to compete for whatever the time periods are in your particular sport. If you are training for street encounters, then it is very unlikely that you will be in an encounter that lasts for 20 minutes. By sparring over extended periods you are training your body to conserve energy. You should be working to increase your output within a shorter time frame rather than extending the time frame in which you can operate.

I tend to think of street fights as sprints rather than marathons. Personally I would be working on the ability to maintain a high intensity output over a shorter time-frame, rather than trying to develop the ability to maintain a lower work-rate over an extended period.

7. RidiculousName

I see your point. At this point however, I'm very new to sparring. I've done it for four days. What I'll do is practice basics like proper movement, keeping my weight balanced, practicing shifting weight, etc.

While I get your point, and my interest in self-defence would be a short & fast encounter sort of thing. I'm not sure if it would be best for me to jump into that right away when I can practice this way for longer and get more basic experience.

I was hoping to get more ideas about interval training aswell. Are there any more basic routines people would suggest?