moving to the next level in language study

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by matveimediaarts, Mar 9, 2015.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I'm in that annoying place between "advanced" and "fluent" in Russian. Got any advice for me to make it to the next level? Thanks! :hat:

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

talk to russians ;)

also, allthingsgym has plenty of interviews with russian weightlifters you could peruse.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

This.

Try to talk to Russians or use a russian forum/ chat/ whatever, where you can use the language to write with others.
    The key really is, to actually *use* Russian.

It's the way I'm trying to improve my English.
    And even though I know, that I still make dozens of mistakes, I also notice all now and then, that I'm still getting better.

4. matveimediaarts

I already do this. My beloved godmother is native Russian :D :cool: and I have a number of Russian pen pals (some facebook chat with me when our time zones overlap conveniently) and I still keep in touch with my former Russian teacher. :) I just get the sense that relying on writing is keeping me from becoming fluent in both speaking and listening. :bang:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Some years ago I started watching my DVDs on English.
    (In the beginning with German subtitles, pretty quick switched to English subtitles and later no subtitles at all).

That helped me getting used to actually listen to the language, when spoken by (mostly) native speakers.
    It was kind of fun, when there were different accents and you had to "learn" to understand those as well.

For me that worked really well.
    So well actually, that when I was in London two or three people wouldn't believe I'm German, because I had an American accent lol
    Guess, they just ignored all the mistakes :D

But I really have no idea, how easy you could get DVDs/ BluRays on Russian? :thinking:

Reading books helped tremendously as well.

For me, the key really is using the language. Even if I only speak to myself.
    Just hearing myself talking it or thinking in it, helps me realize some of the mistakes I do and get rid of them.
    And yes, I am aware how stupid that must sound :eek:
    I don't get to actually talk to someone in English (and if I could I would probably just sit there silent; I'm not the talking kind), so I take what's second best for me ;)

Oh, and I used to ask people to tell me, when I made mistakes.
    Unfortunately most stop doing that after two or three corrections :(

6. matveimediaarts

Thanks! I have access to many Russian movies and programs on youtube and russianforfree.com. I like them. I've picked up a few idioms/slang words from them. :cool:

I read websites and ebooks too. I recently started a blog with my translations of Russian media coverage of news that tends to interest US audiences. :hat: (not online yet, but I have a document translated and saved on photobucket)

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Skype them? If I was good at Russian I'd be going there to get my degree in sambo.

You could also just read the conversations out loud?

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Practice Practice.

My Cantonese got miles better when I moved to Hong Kong, even the reading got better just being immersed.
    Back in UK my London accent crept back in, although I speak only Canto to my Parents and the odd customer and sometimes with friends.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was going to suggest Grapple Fit (Sambo and Strengh n Condition school) but realised they were in Sunderland.

10. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

You might find this website useful to speak with native Russians.

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Live in immersion.

12. matveimediaarts

I've been trying to work this out lately. Sadly, US/Russia time zones are so different IDK if it will work out ever. :/ :(

13. matveimediaarts

I don't have the means to move to Russia, nor are there significant Russian communities in my area. :( My godmother is Russian, though. :eek:

14. matveimediaarts

I see my godmother on Sundays for brunch already, so I get an hour or so of chatting with her. My former teacher lives in Texas now, and our schedules don't line up at all. :( One day when I have money I'm going to visit my friends in Russia. I know people in Moscow and Yelets. :)

I already read the conversations aloud. I have a few almost memorized. Like У Ани Новый Парень (Anya Has A New Boyfriend). They're usually kinda silly, but useful. :)