What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I started recently Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller.
    20 pages in and it sucks! I literally force myself to read it. I'll give it a second chance for the next 30 pages.

I am also finishing tonight Bukowski's "General Tales of Ordinary Madness".
    The best collection of short stories I have ever read.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm currently reading Seal of the Worm by Adrian Tchaikovsky, which apparently will be the final volume of Shadows of the Apt.

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Currently reading "Black Sun Rising", the first book of C. S. Friedman's "Coldfire Trilogy", and preparing to finally tackle "A Game of Thrones".

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Since I'm in Star Wars mood again I kept continuing "The New Jedi Order", right now it's "Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand" by Aaron Allston (totally loved his X-Wing books! Stackpoles were great fun too. Really enjoyed the series).

And I should finish the last book of the Game of Thrones. But after so much GoT I needed a break :eek:

5. Ben Gash CLF

I'm reading Half the World by Joe Abercrombie, which I hadn't realised was book 2 (I'd for some reason been under the impression Half a King was a young adult book and hadn't read it).

6. Ben Gash CLF

Finished it and gone straight on to Half a King. It's actually quite an interesting way of reading them. There's 5+ years between the 2 stories, so seeing characters and knowing who'll they'll become is entertaining.

7. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Just started the first Game Of Thrones book having never read or seen the program...

8. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I just re-read all of the Michael Hicks trilogies about the Human/Kreelan (aliens) wars.
    The first book of each trilogy is free digitally and the whole saga is very well written and very interesting. Imagine a species that is 500k years advanced and prefers to fight with swords!

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-R.-Hicks/e/B002BMIC96/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_3?qid=1425490619&sr=8-3

The Last War
    First Contact
    Legend of the Sword
    Dead Soul

Redemption
    Empire
    Confederation
    Final Battle

The First Empress
    From Chaos Born
    Forged in Flame
    (due out Aug '15)

9. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Been practicing speed reading with Atlas Shrugged lately. I find Rand's style rather dull (especially dialogue), but it's okay. They tell me it gets better 2/3 through. Here's hoping! :)

10. StrikingDragon

The Day of the Jackal also a famous film starrinf Bruce Willis...

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Don't forget the Edward Fox version, a classic.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Thumbing my way through Simon Scarrow's Young Bloods, a fiction following Napolean and Wellington. Also have Fire and Sword to read now.

13. StrikingDragon

Filmwise? Is it a bit truer to the book?

Southpaw quite a good series although i didnt my dissertation on Wellington so some bits i get annoyed at haha!

14. Ben Gash CLF

Been re-reading Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy. Just as good if not better the second time round, and truly adult fantasy.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm re-reading 'The Black Hole of Calcutta - a Reconstruction' by Noel Barber.

The 'black hole' episode itself is grimly interesting, but it's the events which lead up to it which I find truly facinating. It's a story of good and bad luck, heroism, cowardice and betrayal. In fact, it would make a damn fine film.

16. Dean Winchester

Have you read Red Country?

17. Dean Winchester

I'm going through Brandon Sanderson's Storm Light Archives again, awesome.

Just finished Mistborn too, again awesome. :D

18. Ben Gash CLF

Yes, I enjoyed it although it was very different.

19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Not entirely sure what to read next (maybe some Star Wars again, still have enough left of those), but I just finished the last Game of Thrones book.

Very nice.
    I admit, I could have done with less long descriptions of the food or of people who aren't really part of the story, but all in all I really enjoyed reading them (I did need a break once though; but afterwards it was awesome again).
    And I like the courage to let like everyone die sooner or later :D

And now, that I finished them as well, it's about time that the next one gets released ;)

Now I can actually start watching the show; so far I only watched the censored first season, therefore it's about time to take the BDs out of their cases.

20. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I'm reading "Deceiver" by C.J. Cherryh, 11th novel in the Foreigner Universe. So I'm in the middle of the 4th trilogy of said universe.