Where are they??

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by nym, Jan 2, 2015.

1. nym

nym Valued Member

Over the last few weeks I've been looking at Kuk Sool again, one thing sticks out, apart from Asian's there are no other coloured people high in the organisation, why did they all leave? And why aren't any seem to be coming up through the ranks?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Eh.... Does it matter?

3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Not a big fan of this thread. Maybe if you rethink the question and ask agian.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

How would you word it?

5. raaeoh

See my next post.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. raaeoh

I actually find race issues a big...
    Well issue. I notice in my gym and in life the best fighters/people are dedicated honest and hard working. Race has nothing to do with it.

I am probably being ignorant but I don't get why race is important to the MA you choose to, or not to train.

I just don't get why the op asked. Thats all

7. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Obviously your not looking hard enough, but it would be better for everyone probably if you just walked away.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Is querying a lack of diversity in an organisation a bad thing? It might be that there is a perfectly reasonable explanation, but that's no reason not to ask the question.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I believe this is why people are having such an issue with it.

"Coloured people" isn't exactly politically or ethnographically correct as it tends to promote a sense of otherness toward non-caucasians.

A more correct term is generally "racialized." Although still having a similar problem to the above mentioned term it does not carry the baggage of being used during a discriminatory post-slavery/post-colonial period. It is also an implicit acknowledgement of the fact that people generally make ethnic distinctions based on skin colour and especially in opposition to "white colonials."

It's similar to how some people take offense at the term negroes.

If you're talking about the ethnic distribution being predominantly Caucasian then that is how I would phrase it... Lack of diversity could imply ANY dominant ethnic distribution. I realize everyone isn't necessarily up on the latest accepted politically correct verbiage but in general try to stay away from any racilizing term which was used before the 80's.

10. raaeoh

The way the op asked... yes had there been a more elaborate explanation then maybe not. I grew up In a racialy mixed family, and thus have experienced the best and worst of both worlds.

When u train race should never be an issue. Sadly I know it is though. It will always be

11. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Not at all HH, the fact that the OP's observation is highly inaccurate and accusatory is what is a bad thing. When I first started Kuk Sool Won there were no people of color Masters and only a handful of school owners. Present time there is at least 20 school owners and 7 or 8 Masters and several 3rd and 4th dahn instructors, as well as numbers into the hundreds of up and coming students of color. Kuk Sool Won I would assume is as diversified as any other MA. If the Op has some statistical numbers to report then have at it, however it looks more like there is an axe to grind...if so it needs to be held a bit closer to the stone cause I don't get the point.

12. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

There's no secret promotion agenda going on. The art came from Korea, so is it a surprise that Asians were among the first to reach master?

We have nothing to hide, obviously...
    Here's a list of masters for the public to see:

http://www.kuksoolwon.com/site/about-kuk-sool-won/masters

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Could the same not be said of high rank judoka? Heck there aren't many female high rank judoka, keiko fusaka hasn't got a well deserved IJF 9th or 10th dan (because the IJF is openly sexist is probably the main issue)

14. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

Hmmmmm, not even sure why the word 'colored' is being used because it is quite antiquated and now considered derogatory (in the USA at least). The only reason why the NAACP still uses it is for historical reference.

Now, if there is an inference being made about demographics one has to take into consideration the location of each individual school and compare to similar

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It would seem it's only considered derogatory if the person using the term is of white European descent,as I have on numerous occasions heard in socio-political discussions on the (U.S.) radio various "persons of color(s)" using these terms as an everyday description of any non white (whatever that really is) folks in general.

Found it surprising,myself.

16. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I think using the phrase "people of color" referring to diversity among race is politically correct, however using "colored people" is offensive because it was used in the Jim Crow day's before the civil rights movement.

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

so if im a person of colour, then folks like mitch are people of "non-colour"?
    doesnt make much sense. it's pitting people with light skin tones (referred to as "white") against the rest of the planet

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Of course Mitch is non-color, he's actually clear like the wind and water he's also a changeling, but because he's clear you can never tell what form he's taking. However for the rest of us you make a valid point. Just because it's PC doesn't mean it right or makes sense. We can use the color chart to show ethnic diversity, Black, White, brown, yellow, red. Whatever is used can be debated, however a lot has to do with the context of the discussion as to what is offensive. In this case I don't really think the OP was intentionally being racist, I think it was more accusatory toward the KSW org as being racist. Whatcha think?

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Does that mean I have to call all kyu grades "belts of colour" instead of "coloured belts"?

20. nym

nym Valued Member

Sorry been away workin so here goes why should I walk away Obi? The reaon I asked was I was invited to the promotions at Liverpool 2014 and I noticed the lack of "people of colour" promoting and I Rthe audience. I was again invited to promotions to see a master I used to train under promote and it was the same. Looking at the wksa site there are few "people of colour" master and above.
    Ps why did Marlin Simms leave :woo::woo::woo: