Some Sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So I'm just going to post my excuses first:

I hadn't been training for weeks, been drunk a few times

I don't box

Not a lot of space

I rarely get the pleasure of sparring with people who have more range than me.

All that being said, it's still pretty bad.

Any tips on how to get inside would be good:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpGSDN5QHWg&feature=youtu.be"]Light spar hogmanay 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I thought that was quite good.

You have a decent reach and a nice use of angles. I like the straight body shot and overhand strikes, so there's no need to get inside.

I would have you throw the first shot, move out, have him commit, then bang, stick hit with one of those previously mentioned over hand shots.

The way to do this is to avoid going, 1, 2, 3, rather go 1, 1.5, 2.

Throw or feint the first shot, have your training partner commit, then counter strike.

Using what you have, throw the body shot, then immediately throw the overhand.

All in all for a non boxer I thought you had good movement and looked to mix things up.

3. Pretty In Pink

Cheers, I'll try that. Looping punches normally aren't my thing, so it's a skill I barely know. Over hands and big hooks are totally foreign to me.

4. Simon

This explains it better.

Watch Pacquiao, the master, then watch the guy in white in the second segment.

The guy in white draws the counter, then takes full advantage.

As you have a nice long reach I'd have you working these drills.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01r9h8RERKY"]Manny Pacquiao Boxing Tactics-Double Left Cross-Rear Overhand Left - YouTube[/ame]

5. Pretty In Pink

Cheers that's perfect! How much does the fact they are different stances affect range?

6. Simon

Range is dictated by the lead foot, not where the hands are.

There are some basic things you can do.

If he's in left lead he wants to knock you out with his right, so circle to his left to avoid that shot.

Keep your lead foot on the outside of his. Don't get your lead foot inside of his.

Test him out, what has he got?

Throw a jab, what does he do? He'll fall into one of a few categories.

Does he jab you back? if so, slip to the outside.

Does he cover? Good, Jab high, follow with a body shot.

Does he jam you arm? Feint your jab, draw his reaction.

Does he run. Double jab, stepping forward after each shot.

Does he use angles? Keep it tight, use your reach. Hit and away and don't let him inside.

Sounds like a lot and it is. There is enough there for at least 6 months work of lessons, but you could pick one thing and just work each one off of your partners jab.

Let him know what you are working on.

You get to work a drill and he tries to stop you ding it.

7. Pretty In Pink

He has a mean right hand and good left hook, so those are things I'll draw and counter with. Cheers again Simon, wish I could thank you twice :L

8. Simon

The best tip I can give is to learn your range.

By that I mean the distance from your opponent that has you just an inch away from being hit.

Walk toward anyone currently available and you'll reach a distance that is comfortable without being too close.

It's like a comfortable conversation range.

At this point reach forward with your lead leg and draw an imaginary arc in front of you. One side to the other.

Inside this imaginary line and you'll be out of punching distance.

One inch inside and he'll be able to hit you.

The trick is to inch that lead foot forward until he feels you are in range. That will draw his lead.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Simon covered a lot of usefulness bits. There's one more thing which is useful when boxing taller opponents and that's dropping at the knees instead of bending at the waist too much. You can slip punches without putting yourself in a difficult position and use that little spring back up to slam in punches and gain distance. Pacman does that kind of short drop at about 0:21.

My favourite is to use it with a left shovel hook after slipping a right cross but it can be used after slipping anything really. Just keep in mind that you can't do this all the time or people will bait you into it and smash you as you spring in. It should work well as you seem to have fairly springy footwork anyway.

And one more thing which is a little underhanded for boxing. If you can box southpaw as well keep your lead matched with his and when you get inside keep stepping on his toes with yours. You're not looking to bear much weight on his foot but can mess with people's footwork and disrupt their retreat. Sometimes you'll even be lucky enough to put them off balance just a little and make a nice opening.

Good hunting!

Sifu Ben

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

As Ben alluded to above, stop leaning forward like you do. Check out how many times you get clocked by sticking your unprotected head out like that. It also breaks the postural connection needed for powerful punches.

11. Simon

I missed this, but it is a very valid point.

I call it hunting with the eyes.

You're searching for that shot and can end up leaning forward, looking for it.

No surprise really but I do have a video that may help.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6a4j4Hp4wE"]posture and Balance - YouTube[/ame]

12. Pretty In Pink

I'll get another sparring video within a week hopefully with improvements.

13. Simon

I have a question for you, Chadderz.

How easily do you think you could move into your friend for a take down?

You have an excellent opportunity to try and move in against a boxer and I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this.

14. Pretty In Pink

It depends, just boxing with takedowns probably every time. Full MMA is different but I'd be fairly confident about it, I'd just have to be careful and watch out for knees. He's very much a boxer with good BJJ, but not much wrestling or kickboxing. :)

15. Pretty In Pink

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The only thing I'd add would be, as others have said, to correct the part where one is bending at the waist too much before sparring with a good southpaw - else setting oneself for a nasty uppercut - which his partner tried a couple of times and missed being out of range for the right.

Looked great to me.

17. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Totally outside my normal comfort zone, both with gloves that you can use to shield and staying at the long range rather than closing after any shot.

Further to something Simon said about the front foot... I see the rear foot's position as the biggest game changer. Your front foot can be close but if your rear foot is too far away then your rear hand strikes will be less powerful (and so to a lesser degree will your front hand shots in most cases). Too long (or wide) a stance not only affects power generation but will also limit your ability to shift position and angle. Too high a stance and you limit your power and movement. Try being short and deep and see if it changes things for you.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  18. Pretty In Pink

Just quoting this.

@JWT, yeah, that's how I was taught to box years ago. Wide stance. I'll shorten t up and give that a go! :)

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

You want the width to give you the ability to change direction and stability/hip and torso rotation availability, but to do that effectively (and get really powerful punches in) you need to be short and deep. In a few of your lunges your back leg seemed static rather than travelling with the front leg so as to give you more options for follow through strikes or steps (in any direction).

I'm referring here to

height - how tall you are, how much flex you have in your legs
    length - how far in front one foot is from the other
    width - how far to the side one foot is from the other

Width/length can be interchanged sometimes depending on the angle.

This is why I highlighted how much I liked (and recognised) the footwork by Pacquiao at 15:42 in this video that I shared on fb (it went rather viral (by my standards) and reached 14, 480 people on NYE):

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/...down-the-technique-behind-bruce-lees-striking

20. Pretty In Pink

Did you make that video?