What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

The Forest
    Natalie Dormer (from Game of Thrones). Story of American girl getting lost in a Japanese forest that is well known for those going there specifically to commit suicide. (a real place too).
    Typical American jump scare, but has a good mix with the Japanese version of slow burn horror intensity.

It's cold, dank, foggy and late at night...why am I watching this??! :cries:

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Been on a kick for Netflix's military films lately

Restrepo → firsthand documentary about the fighting in the Korengal valley in Afghanistan. Very worth the watch especially if you're interested in the psychological effects of long term deployments. 15 months of being shot at nearly every day multiple times a day is no picnic.
    Spectral → Netflix original. Pretty good B-movie romp. Humans vs a mysterious otherworldly force attacking combatants in a war zone.

3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

'Trolls' - In fact, watched 3 times in the last 3 days, but what can I say, it's chocked full of Christmas feelgoodlieness... :D

(Here's one such scene)

https://youtu.be/eauf8hyqZLQ

Travess

4. Mushroom

Guyver Dark Hero.
    90s American remake of Japanese Anime of the same name. Dude comes across alien Armour becomes superhero fighting monster created by an evil Corporation.
    It's technically a sequel, (that starred Mark Skywalker Hamill) but it distances itself from it.

Probably inspired to more Power Rangers era, this film got decent martial arts choreographers for the fight scenes. (Think it was Team Alpha Stunts) Altho a Japanese/Aermican team, there's heavy influences from Yuen Woo Ping's Once Upon a Time in China series aka Wong Fei Hung.

The acting and music is so terrible. But generally fun.

Ok its December 25th.... merry holidays. I watched Die Hard.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Mike Tyson:Undisputed Truth

:jawdrop: Wow. Not what I expected at all -- and I loved it! :love:

Think stand-up comedy: one person on the stage, minimal props, reciting a funny script to an audience for 80 minutes. That's what this is, but the person is former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson. And the script is his autobiography from when he was barely out of diapers until 2011 or 2012.

And he's as articulate as any speaker you've seen on stage. I was as impressed with how well he speaks as I was fascinated by his life. He was painfully honest about his failures while not playing down his successes. He comes across so real and so vulnerable, just so ... so very human.

Outstanding. :happy:

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That swan dive off the cliff though.

"Cooooorrrrrrryyyyyyyyy!!!"

:D

7. aikiMac

"The Theory of Everything" (2014)
    It's a biography of Stephen Hawking, the smart guy trapped in a wheelchair. I rented it on a whim, not knowing what to expect, and I was pleased. It's very captivating. I didn't know that the guy who plays Hawking got an Academy Award for this role. He earned it. OMG, you'd swear the guy on the screen there actually has this disease. That was astonishing acting. The Star Wars Rogue 1 girl plays his wife Jane beautifully, and Daredevil has a supporting role as a very kind and helpful friend who eventually marries Jane. The movie ends with Hawking's audience with the Queen. There's no date given in the movie, but Wikipedia says that was in 1989.

8. Mushroom

Train to Busan

Korean Zombies on a train. This is probably one of the best movies I've seen from 2016. It's a real emotional rollercoaster. I got scared, angry, frustrated, sad... well worth a watch. And that's all I'll say about it.

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I watched that recently and quite liked it until a scene towards the end that was so melodramatic and featured some incredibly cheesy acting that made Dallas and Dynasty look like something done by Ken Loach. It killed the film for me. But every SK film has to have that one cringeworthy scene, usually done in the rain....with very loud music.

But it did get me to watch Memories of Murder, which is slow but very good and considered one of the best South Koren crime flicks out there. It's based on a true and very interesting story. The Wailing (more K-horror) isn't too bad either...and will leave you thinking.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Watching "The Warriors" one of those films you're culturally familiar with but I realised I'd never actually watched.

12. Mushroom

John Wick: Chapter 2.

It is so stupid it's awesome. Endless shameless violence and more henchmen and assassins than there are members of public.
    The action is the same as the first one but dialled up to 11. The grappling is clearly judo and bjj (pretty sure I saw a berimbolo! and a lot of the moves were flow drills I think) It was missing a suplex though.
    MAPpers who are well trained in firearms would probably like the gun play. I don't know anything about guns, but he holds them in a cool way and things go bang and blood goes splat.

Also...pencil.

13. aikiMac

LOL, that was the impression I got from the trailer! I was planning to Redbox it at some point, so I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the review. :D

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There's a popular video of Reeves training at a range doing the rounds on social media. I can't find the name of his coaches, but it's most likely a USPSA multigun (3-gun) set-up, given how he seemlessly blends from carbine, to pistol, to shotgun. Some very slick transitions on show in JW2, even down to the use of slide-lock/combat reloads - ejecting the empty mag to the floor and inserting a fresh one (saved for extreme survival scenarios, like the catacombs fight, due to not retaining the magazine). JW2 has certainly raises the bar in the action film genre and hopefully signals the end of choppy editing to conceal poor technique and choreography!

15. aikiMac

Oh, please, yes, let it be! :cry:

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I watched Taken 2 last night, didn't realise how bad the editing was. :(

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Lego Batman. Better than most of the recent live action batman films.

TUSWMELSF

18. Mushroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnB07wnDJL8

Heres Reeves at the range. Other videos concentrate on how he draws his weapon, reload etc.
    Can't seem to find his martial arts ones though. Considering his fighting with him vs Common is great...Can't really say more without spoilering it though.

19. aikiMac

I do want to see that movie, yes! And for a moment I actually considered buying McDonalds Happy Meal just to get a Lego Batman toy. :p :p

20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Nothing wrong with that! :D