Old and fat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Strangelywierd, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Strangelywierd

Strangelywierd New Member

I'm 47 years old and overweight. I'm looking to get fit, flexible and confident, enjoy watching martial arts and think learning may be a way to keep my interest enough to have some success. I live in Manchester and would like some advice on a good form of martial art to start with and a good place to learn. I'm thinking Jeet Kun Do or wing chun, but that's probably because they're the films I like most. Any advice and recommendations would be gratefully received.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

First thing to do is make a start. Fitness and flexibility will come with regular training.

More often than not it's a good feel for the instructor and students that makes you go back for more, so I'd suggest trying a couple of schools and see what suits.

Many places will let you take the first lesson for free.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

4. Strangelywierd

Strangelywierd New Member

Thanks very much for the advice Simon. It's what I was thinking so I've made enquiries to a fair few schools and a fair few styles so far just to see what happens. Hopefully I'll find something that suits before too long. Appreciate you getting back to me and the links, will definitely check them out.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Steve Powell is a solid guy for JKD and definitely worth a look. How far are you willing to travel because I know a couple of other guys - one in Didsbury and one in Stockport

Manchester has a lot of martial arts schools to choose from so whilst I am bias towards JKD keep an eye out for other schools because there are some really good ones from all disciplines

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Today, is my off-topic day, sorry.
    If getting fit includes losing weight: Just a quick reminder that this will start in the kitchen.

Sort of more on topic: Don't let people tell you, you can only start an MA once you already lost some weight (depending on how "overweight" you actually are, some might try this). Because that's not true.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Can't recommend Fighting Fit enough. My ex trains there in BJJ, but they have solid boxing, Muay Thai, MMA and S&C programmes too. Great bunch who know their stuff.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Fighting fit and SBG Mainline are both quality places, offering multiple arts from the jkd lineage, both offer free trials, so drop by and see if you like them!