Lost to a Wrestler

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Pretty In Pink, Nov 21, 2016.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Just going off the first minute.. where's your jab lad eh? :D
    You want to maintain and control distance, get a killer jab/straight lead and lead with it not your back hand. Work your other striking off that. You know what a wrestler wants to do, so try and put it on your terms. IOW try to gain the time and distance that will make him fail. And of course more wrestling. Using the lead strike will also bring your reach advantage (in that fight) to your benefit. Frankly you were wasting it leading with the rear hand.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah I was feared to get my jab going in case of an overhand right. Next time I fight him I'll definitely be throwing combos.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

cool,

well done getting in there, onwards and upwards!
    lot's of sprawl and brawl for you mate and you'll be ready for a guy like this next time.

edit. also watch out for things like the kick you threw near the start of the third, where he was near the cage and took you down off it. Those are gifts for his MO.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

You fought well, that guy is obviously a monster.

Criticisms, obviously to be taken with a substantial pinch of salt given that I don't fight:
    Your guard is good, but too sub orientated. In the 1st and 3rd when he postured up you needed to be getting feet on his hips to push off, but instead you're dangling your legs in the hope you can catch him when he dives in. You need to be doing rounds where guys hold you down and you win if you sub, sweep or stand (if you're not already).
    Obviously you're standing too tall in the pocket, is a lot of your sparring straight Thai/kickboxing and then BJJ separately, by any chance?
    Except if it's a fake level change or a body-jab and the overhand right is coming after it...

5. Pretty In Pink

It was a knee actually, and I'm pretty sure I winded him real bad. I felt the air leave his lungs. His pressure was crazy and I didn't have many opportunities to stand. I only really got one and that was at the end of the third :/

6. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Nice account of the fight from your perspective Chadderz, good that you can look at it so introspectively and take it as a learning experience. Time was against you, due to the rounds, could have been very different. Keep that in mind.

7. Pretty In Pink

I think I'd quite like 1 × 20 minute round. Would definitely suit me better

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Thanks for sharing the fight videos Chadderz. I'm just going to make some suggestions, but don't take it as criticism. It is just late for me and I want to point out a few things quickly.

I wondered if you were going for speed or power on your kicks with your left leg. If going for speed, you took too big a step with the right foot towards the opponent before kicking with your left leg. And as a result, you ended up too close after the kick when the opponent took the shot. You can step all you want using lateral movement, but when moving towards the opponent directly, keep the step small as possible for speed. Also remember that lateral movement is your friend with speed.

If you were going for power, drive your knee more through the target. Short of faking out the opponent, IME you won't be able to stop from leaving yourself open to a counter attack when using a power technique. So if you leg gets grabbed on a power kick, go with it and use your knee to brace against the opponent while you clinch on the take down.

For the take down defense, remember to never give the opponent a flat surface to grab. When the opponent is able to square up on you, that gives him a flat surface to grab for the take down. So I suggest jamming with your forearm and driving their head down against a double leg. While doing this, avoid giving the opponent a flat/squared surface to wrap around. Here is an old school example of what I mean by not giving a flat surface:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_kmbFg2ti4"]Steve Fraser - Double Leg-Hip Jam-Head In-Defense - US Camps - Wrestling - YouTube[/ame]

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

nice little video that, good tip regards the head position.
    thanks

10. Pretty In Pink

Was meant to go training tonight, got motivated, but I got there and turned away. Felt to ashamed. Feeling pretty guilty for not going now.

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Nothing to be ashamed about you doofus!!

Get there next session. You have two more fights set up :)

I've not been to training either but for waaaaaay better reasons. My shower is broke so I have to go to my girlfriend's work to have one together. They will probably think we are screwing in there... Sadly we will very much not be :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Get back in there. Sit with your coach. Discuss what to work on. (Thats what I keep telling myself)

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

One day at a time friend. Tell us what you do tomorrow.

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Nothing to feel ashamed about chadderz, quite the opposite really. You should feel proud of the work you put in and you gave it your shot. No shame in losing, it's all a game. You play you gain, sometimes what you gain from a loss is more valuable than a "w".

respect.

15. Pretty In Pink

Going to class tonight. Kali too! Haven't been in a while. Also, round two, my arm bar escape. Non-traditional ;D

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That was a nice scrappy escape :)

I winced when you stood up. Pros and Cons of long limbs eh?