Another art I can do?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Arya, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Arya

Arya New Member

I posted a thread about picking up a grappling art to do along with my 1st degree black belt in ITF TKD. I've started Judo and I really like it. So in terms of Grappling and throws from a clinch I'm doing Judo and for Striking I do TKD. Wondering what comes next for a keen martial arts fan? Trapping? Striking from the clinch? Etc?

In terms of ground grappling we do a lot of ne waza in my judo class so I don't need BJJ and we also do leg takedowns so my teacher doesn't really bother with the IJF rules Which I like. Muay thai is an option too. I'd prefer something more traditional but I don't really mind. I've tried Wing Chun, really didn't like it, just didn't compliment by TKD at all. About my TKD too we do also use knees and elbows as well as punches and kicks so I'm not too kicky when I sparr.

Hoping I can get some advice on some other MA I can do in the future with TKD and Judo

2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

We have several members of our hung gar club that also hold high level dans in tykwando. They seem to find it a nice fit. Our kung fu comes from a monastic line. The way we express the art in movement is more fluid than some other hung gar clubs and arguabley has much in common with other "shoalin" five animal styles such as cho li fhut, or flower boxing.

I suggest taking a look at clf and flower boxing. Some of the variants of white crane might also be a good fit. If you can find someone who does hung ga in a fluid way rather than a staccato way that could also work. The internal side of hung ga has a really nice fit to most other arts but it usually takes a long time before you start overtly working on that.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

What are your goals in training?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Boxing

You think you can punch until you actually box...then you find out you can't :)

5. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

Go train a weapons art, I recommend Filipino martial arts to all martial artists. It seems like most people in FMA have some form of other martial arts background. If you've got a background in striking and grappling weapons is one other area to consider.

6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Boxing would also help to compensate for a possible neglect of hand techniques seen in some tykwando clubs.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Heheh, Muay Thai is not traditional?

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Go to a Muay Thai class, borrow some sparring kit and come back and tell us how your TKD held up.

9. sireen

sireen Banned Banned

taekwondo
    [​IMG]

10. Hannibal

Did you even read the question?

11. Arya

Arya New Member

Thanks for the replies. I know muay thai isn't traditional I just said that I'd lsomething more traditional but Muay thai is an exception. There is traditional muay thai too for the record. I may take up muay thai someday. Get my clinch striking developed. I've decided I'll do a weapons defence art/system such Krav Maga or possibly hapkido as it's a sister art to TKD. For now though I'll stick to ITF Taekwon-Do and Judo.

12. Hannibal

Krav is most certainly not a weapon system

13. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

When I trained Krav it did have some simple knife/stick techniques.

However it's certainly not as advanced as, say, FMA.

14. Hannibal

Most disciplines have "weapon defense" that does not make them a weapon art any more than having a punch defense makes them boxing

Most weapon defense - krav included - is pretty terrible to be honest

15. Arya

Arya New Member

Can someone tell me what's 'better' for me between Krav Maga and Hapkido? Let's say I start one after I've reached a high level in Judo.

16. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

More Judo

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

How about you spend the years it will take you to get to a high level in judo first, then see if you even need to ask the question? :)

Mitch

18. Mitch

Whilst I'm there, really understand your TKD. 1st Dan in TKD is a stepping stone; I know, because I was there not that long ago. In TKD it's a basic measure to indicate limited proficiency, not mastery.

So keep on with the TKD and really understand the techniques you're being taught in a heavy contact environment, continue with the Judo and really get to grips (geddit? :D ) with it, and not worry about anything else for now, you've got enough on your plate.

Mitch

19. Mitch

Mine did OK in full contact arts, I just had to adapt a little.

Go to MAP, read some posts, and try to come back with positive and helpful posts for a month, see how you hold up :)

Mitch

20. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Stick with the Judo or something similar. Taking up boxing is always a good idea.

When it comes to weapon arts, you have to decide what it is you're after. Most weapon defence is, shall we say, optimistic. If you're looking for knife defence and stuff like that, then Michael Janich's stuff (MBC, CBC) is about as good as you're going to get. It's based on FMA.

If you're looking for a more traditional weapon art, then the question is do you want to become proficient against a resisting opponent or learn some kata? Iaido is great for solo forms and learning proper sword handling. There are usually some paired kata in there too. Kenjutsu is usually paired kata, and is great fun, but there is no randori. Hard to find god kenjutsu though. I've been very lucky in that regard. HEMA is great for all round sword work, and a good club will gear up and have at it. That being said, you're not going to get much in the lines of "quick draw" and "how do I use a sword under a house?" kind of thing which you get from some schools of iai.

If you have all those options in your area, you're one lucky person, or perhaps entirely fictional. ;) Take them all and see what you like. My personal preference would be koryu kenjutsu or HEMA for all-round weapony goodness. They are very similar in overall concept though the pedagogy will be radically different. A good third choice is a good classical fencing school which teaches traditional duelling. However, non-electric fencing =/= classical. It is about as hard to find as good koryu kenjutsu.

-Mark